General Election 2017

Started by steveL, April 19, 2017, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akarjl

Quote from: Riddler5 on May 11, 2017, 07: AM
I can still see the Conservative /UKIP vote splitting and letting Labour in.

God i hope not can you imagine the reaction of tweedle dum and tweedle even dummer at the cwemlin?

Inspector Knacker

The trouble is, at the first sniff of an election, the 'rump', as if afflicted by some strange gas start talking about "me dad voted Labour, me Granda voted Labour, etc,etc" and are hypnotically drawn to put their 'X' next to whoever is representing the party of their fathers and logic flies out of the window.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

AndyHagon

I think we'll do a lot better than 4.7%, speaking to people as I'm leafleting. There was over 14,000 Hartlepudlians who voted Remain and there's plenty of worried Leavers out there. Labour are going to hand the Tories a blank cheque to do whatever they want, and I for one don't trust their negotiating skills. If the Tories take Hartlepool they know it will be only for one Parliament - predictions indicate trouble ahead in 2018 (which is why she's called an election now). Labour have had how many chances both locally and nationally and how has Hartlepool really benefited? 12.9% unemployment, 1 in 3 children in poverty, millions wasted etc, etc. You might not agree with my view on Europe but surely the political landscape needs to change and who better than a fellow Hartlepudlian!

steveL

Well at least you have the balls to post on this forum. We won't be seeing the Labour guy on here  ;D
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

not4me

too many questions to answer

fred c

I am waiting patiently for Mr Hill to knock on my door.  :)

akarjl

Quote from: AndyHagon on May 11, 2017, 08: AM
I think we'll do a lot better than 4.7%, speaking to people as I'm leafleting. There was over 14,000 Hartlepudlians who voted Remain and there's plenty of worried Leavers out there. Labour are going to hand the Tories a blank cheque to do whatever they want, and I for one don't trust their negotiating skills. If the Tories take Hartlepool they know it will be only for one Parliament - predictions indicate trouble ahead in 2018 (which is why she's called an election now). Labour have had how many chances both locally and nationally and how has Hartlepool really benefited? 12.9% unemployment, 1 in 3 children in poverty, millions wasted etc, etc. You might not agree with my view on Europe but surely the political landscape needs to change and who better than a fellow Hartlepudlian!

Andy simple question:

If Libdem is elected as MP for Hartlepool will he support the majority decision made my the people of Hartlepool  ( I believe around 63%) who voted for brexit?

There is no other answer really other than Yes or No- it would be really refreshing if as a potential local MP you were open and honest. Not the usual evasive fence sitting answer normally given by politicians

If the answer is YES you are in with a chance....and probably get my vote if nothing else.

If the answer is NO or any variation of " we would work towards staying in Europe/ I will follow the party line" then I suspect Libdems have no chance in Hartlepool.

Sorry to be blunt, but when you enter a forum such as this, people will ask direct questions and hope for direct answers- we don't get them anywhere else.

A NO response would suggest the Libdems are not right for the people of  Hartlepool .

A lack of a response would suggest the same.

So first test of your approach to politics in Hartlepool....an answer to a simple question

If Libdem is elected as MP for Hartlepool will he support the majority decision made my the people of Hartlepool and support Brexit?

YES

or

NO

Devils advocate

I have never had an allegiance to any particular polital party and have never voted tory. I never thought i would vote tory but they will be getting my vote on June 8th.
I think anything else would split the vote and we would have a Labour MP again.

seaton

Just been on Tees, RMW has writen to UKIP asking them not to put a candidate up in Hartlepool as the Polls show there is strong support for the Conservatives.
Nope for me he has done this because he is trying too protect his Labour mates.

steveL

There is a story going round, which I can't verify as yet, that after the Headland & Harbour by-election, Wells told the Labour crowd that he was the one who had won it for Labour by fielding a Tory candidate; 210 votes that would more than likely have gone to UKIP if he hadn't. Labour won the by-election by just 23 votes.

He then promised to do the same again next year in Jesmond when UKIP's George Springer is up for re-election.

I know that the real Tories are reading this site because they have been in touch. They need to be aware that Wells is far more interested in preserving his favoured position with Labour than he is in seeing a Tory MP in Hartlepool.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

fred c

Quote from: steveL on May 11, 2017, 12: PM
There is a story going round, which I can't verify as yet, that after the Headland & Harbour by-election, Wells told the Labour crowd that he was the one who had won it for Labour by fielding a Tory candidate; 210 votes that would more than likely have gone to UKIP if he hadn't. Labour won the by-election by just 23 votes.

He then promised to do the same again next year in Jesmond when UKIP's George Springer is up for re-election.

I know that the real Tories are reading this site because they have been in touch. They need to be aware that Wells is far more interested in preserving his favoured position with Labour than he is in seeing a Tory MP in Hartlepool.

You're not allow in thinking that.....

Shepherd

I moved back to Hartlepool in 1996, in that 21 year period I have never had anyone ever come to my door to ask for my vote.

Well yesterday it happened. It was the UKIP candidate himself JB.

He was very pleasant, very up on affairs in the town and had some very interesting opinions on the future for UKIP in the town and nationally.

I advised him I was voting tory as it was the best chance to hole the SCAB's and co below the waterline, and to encourge Jeremy and his ilk to spend more time with there families. Double bubble.

He was pretty chipper about his chances and had some good graphs with respect to how the parties chances are, but they were from last year and before the total collapse of the UKIP vote earleir in the month. Seemed convinced that Labour are on the ropes though. Lets hope so.

Just a pity I will need to cut my hand off afterwards for supporting the deeply unsavory and vindictive May. Still, needs must when the devil drives.

fred c

Quote from: Shepherd on May 11, 2017, 01: PM
I moved back to Hartlepool in 1996, in that 21 year period I have never had anyone ever come to my door to ask for my vote.

Well yesterday it happened. It was the UKIP candidate himself JB.

He was very pleasant, very up on affairs in the town and had some very interesting opinions on the future for UKIP in the town and nationally.

I advised him I was voting tory as it was the best chance to hole the SCAB's and co below the waterline, and to encourge Jeremy and his ilk to spend more time with there families. Double bubble.

He was pretty chipper about his chances and had some good graphs with respect to how the parties chances are, but they were from last year and before the total collapse of the UKIP vote earleir in the month. Seemed convinced that Labour are on the ropes though. Lets hope so.

Just a pity I will need to cut my hand off afterwards for supporting the deeply unsavory and vindictive May. Still, needs must when the devil drives.

Awwwwwwwwwww I vowed to cut off more than my hand....... having said that, if I had said I would cut my right hand off....... I wouldn't be able to do anything with the part I said I would cut off..... :-\

fred c

Quote from: fred c on May 11, 2017, 12: PM

You're not allow in thinking that.....

ALONE.... predictive bloomin txt

mk1

The way forward is not to offer a non-Labour candidate but to offer an alternative to Labour voters. Endless moaning here about 'my grandad voted Labour so I will always vote Labour' will not achieve anything. You have to seperate out the Labour vote and give a choice to those who would never under any circumstance vote Tory. Labour have a base vote that will always support them. This is why Ray's  tactic works because the base  Tory supporters will always vote Tory even when they have no hope of winning.
If a strong independent was standing in each Labour Ward then that would split the Labour vote. A Ged Hall Or Brash option would be the undoing of the SCABs. The way to win is for real Labour believers to stand in opposition to the fake Labour SCABs.
The most effective tactic would be to make sure an independent Labour/Real Labour Candidate was standing for council and was
genuine. If that were to happen it would hive off some labour votes and make sure Labour lose. It is no use banging on about playing fair and sticking to the rules when the opposition use every dirty trick in the book and win.

Though the national  polls offer hope I would be wary of thinking it is a done deal and a Labour wipe-out is on the cards.