General Election 2017

Started by steveL, April 19, 2017, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

Iain Wright has announced that he won't be standing in the June 8th Genera lElection

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Sanddancer

Who next though??? Surely it cannot be one of the SCABs.!

Land Phil

steveL

3 possibilities.

Wright hasn't been getting along with the local CLP for ages. It's the usual thing, CAB just can't stand anyone with more status than himself. We saw it with Drummond and he will do the same with whoever becomes the Teesside Mayor.

The SCABS have taken to the cosmopolitan London life and Christopher fancies himself as MP. The other in-house possibility is Alan Clarke who will have the support of the union orangutans. The 3rd possibility is that an outsider is parachuted in with some talk that it maybe David Milliband making a re-entry ready to pick up the pieces after Corbyn resigns on June 9th.

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

not4me

Interesting thought about David Milliband but I think it's too early. The King has to be officially declared dead before the new King is hailed and that won't happen till June 9th.

I don't think Wright likes opposition politics and the prospect of another 5 years of it just doesn't interest him.

DRiddle

If it's a SCAB then Labour will lose what should be one of the safest Labour seats in the country to UKIP.

If it's Alan Clarke, 'the housewives choice' (as he's known to many of his pals) might save the seat. The narrative they could quickly build around him resonates with Corbyn's talk about manufacturing, helping the young etc.

Local boy, redundant steel worker, ex youth worker. He'll tick boxes with traditional Labour voters that the scabs could never tick.

I'm not sure a heavy weight Labour outsider would risk it on Hartlepool at present.

Could the biggest voice in UKIP throw his hat in?

jeffh

jawsbbc

The Great Dictator

Mandelson ?

dowager

Leo Gillen?

Good shout, nigel Farage was always rumoured to want this as his seat and then you would need a good local labour candidate to avoid him steamrollering, whether he would be a good Mp is another matter but he knows Mandy.

He may not even be a Labour Party member. The only other high profile local person in town off the top of my head is the ex editor of the Hartlepool mail or Alan Wright but I am not sure he is politically minded

Lucy Lass-Tick

Didn't Alan Wright stand as a Conservative in 2010?

fred c

Parliament dissolves in a couple of weeks, so whoever get the nod will need to start campaigning very quickly, if it's either of the SCABS there will be a public backlash that could end any chance of a Labour MP, if Alan Clark gets the nod, will he be his own man and put an end to the cabal that runs the HCLP, the real question is, is he the best man for the job and more pertinently does the Labour Party national executive think he is.....cue  David Miliband....or.....A N Other ?

As for the man who can't be named, I could actually see him winning in Hartlepool..... Doh

steveL

Alan Wright has been all over the place politically depending on who was paying the highest after dinner rates

steveL

Quote from: fred c on April 19, 2017, 11: AM
Parliament dissolves in a couple of weeks, so whoever get the nod will need to start campaigning very quickly, if it's either of the SCABS there will be a public backlash that could end any chance of a Labour MP, if Alan Clark gets the nod, will he be his own man and put an end to the cabal that runs the HCLP, the real question is, is he the best man for the job and more pertinently does the Labour Party national executive think he is.....cue  David Miliband....or.....A N Other ?

As for the man who can't be named, I could actually see him winning in Hartlepool..... Doh

Alan Clarke - the Eeyore candidate

Steely Dan

Quote from: fred c on April 19, 2017, 11: AM

You've lost me Fred. Who is this?