General Election 2017

Started by steveL, April 19, 2017, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffh

Quote from: steveL on May 07, 2017, 03: PM
Anyone watch the North East bit of Sunday Politics today? A severe case of sour grapes being displayed by Labour over the Tees Valley Mayor - very tetchy indeed. There'll be a few more sphincters twitching when they read the new front page.

Certainly interesting times.

http://www.hartlepoolpost.co.uk

Yes I watched it  - I got the impression from Andy McDonald that the fine leaders of the councils will be scuttling Ben Houchen and replacing him in 3 years time - that as in response to - will you be supporting the new mayor?  I think the way it plays out is if they don't oust him we may find ourselves having a referendum - deja vu

mk1

I am looking forward to the upcoming annoucement:

'Hartlepool is a listening Council and  following extensive Public Consultation we are aware of grave misgivings about the Mayoral System. We have formed a committee which will look in to how we can address these issues and an in-depth review will formulate how we go can forward.
All options are on the table and the will of the public is always our priority. If we discover the majority are against a Mayor we will not hesitate to hold a referendum to see if we continue to participate. As always we are a listening Council and have complete faith in the decision of our electorate'

I give it 6 months before that message starts being promoted.

Inspector Knacker

Or more frankly, This is not on! We were supposed to win this. If we'd known this was going to be the outcome we wouldn't have bothered. Anyway, if we can't have it, no one is. We're gonna sulk.
As once said, they're the sort of people who'd cut down a tree and stand on the stump to give us a lecture on tree preservation.
Just out of interest, the failed Labour candidate mentioned ambassadors for the Tees Valley . Who would they have been and would they have been travelling the widely at ratepayers expense?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

fred c

Talk about bitter I got the distinct impression Andy McDonald suckled on Lemons not T**s....I would put a tenner on it, the LabMob's will be having a meeting before the end of next week to fathom out how they can derail the Teeside Mayor.......what's the collective noun for a bunch of conniving a**eholes ?

jeffh

Quote from: fred c on May 07, 2017, 05: PM
Talk about bitter I got the distinct impression Andy McDonald suckled on Lemons not T**s....I would put a tenner on it, the LabMob's will be having a meeting before the end of next week to fathom out how they can derail the Teeside Mayor.......what's the collective noun for a bunch of conniving a**eholes ?
.......a council

Land Phil

Quote from: Riddler5 on May 07, 2017, 04: PM
Or more frankly, This is not on! We were supposed to win this. If we'd known this was going to be the outcome we wouldn't have bothered. Anyway, if we can't have it, no one is. We're gonna sulk.
As once said, they're the sort of people who'd cut down a tree and stand on the stump to give us a lecture on tree preservation.
Just out of interest, the failed Labour candidate mentioned ambassadors for the Tees Valley . Who would they have been and would they have been travelling the widely at ratepayers expense?

That reminds me of knocking down all the community facilities in Seaton Carew and naming a street of houses after the council's biggest advocate of said facilities.

They are a total joke.

akarjl

Anyone watch the North East bit of Sunday Politics today? A severe case of sour grapes being displayed by Labour over the Tees Valley Mayor - very tetchy indeed. There'll be a few more sphincters twitching when they read the new front page.

Citizen Corbyn must be bricking it...

QuoteThe local elections saw two-thirds (67%) of former UKIP voters nationally switching to the Tories. In Hartlepool, just over half of UKIP voters (52%) would need to switch to the Tories for the Conservatives to take the seat.

In the absence of a viable alternative I would suspect the Ukip mob will swing to the tories, rightly or wrongly, as a protest against Scabinism and to make sure we leave Europe. HBC have done a great job of destroying the labour party in Hartlepool.

Cant see any labour big guns with half a brain taking a punt at Hartlepool and risking being publicly raped as the candidate who lost a "safe" labour seat. Interesting times.

jeffh

Quote from: akarjl on May 07, 2017, 06: PM

Citizen Corbyn must be bricking it...

QuoteThe local elections saw two-thirds (67%) of former UKIP voters nationally switching to the Tories. In Hartlepool, just over half of UKIP voters (52%) would need to switch to the Tories for the Conservatives to take the seat.

In the absence of a viable alternative I would suspect the Ukip mob will swing to the tories, rightly or wrongly, as a protest against Scabinism and to make sure we leave Europe. HBC have done a great job of destroying the labour party in Hartlepool.

Cant see any labour big guns with half a brain taking a punt at Hartlepool and risking being publicly raped as the candidate who lost a "safe" labour seat. Interesting times.
It will be interesting to see who stands for UKIP - supposed to be announced tomorrow

akarjl

Unless it Nigella can't see it making any difference.........labour/ukip.....Hartlepool is done for. I would vote for an independent if the candidate appeared to have some balls and would start utilising his position to draw external attention to Cwissie n Co, but the reality is it won't happen so there is no real alternative is there?

mk1

Its Broughton again. The big-hitters who were fighting for the seat have seen which way the wind is blowing and ran for the hills.

steveL

Looks like the squabbling UKIPPERS have been rumbled. 12 days after choosing Broughton as their candidate, they finally get the nod to go public. I gather continuous squabbling amongst the members is the reason; that together with being told to wait until after the locals to see if it was worth parachuting a big-wig in from Head Office. As it turns out, no one from down South fancied their chances after they lost all 143 seats they were defending on Thursday and so it's back to the fall-guy to take the hit.

The word in Twitterland is that even Nuttall is now regretting standing in Boston and Skegness fearing he's soon to start emulating Nigel in failed attempts.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

steveL

Taken from Newcastle's Evening Chronicle

"Take Hartlepool, for example. Labour won this seat in 2015 with 14,076 votes, with UKIP second on 11,052 and the Tories third on 8,256.

If those UKIP voters were to vote Conservative (or to vote for Theresa May, as they might see it) then Labour would be toast.

And that would be an earthquake. Consider that in 2001, Labour candidate Peter Mandelson held the seat with 22,506 votes, almost three times the number of votes won by the Tories, who came second with 7.935"

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/collapse-ukip-could-lead-conservative-12993029

In actual fact, only half of former UKIP voters in Hartlepool need to switch to the Tories for Labour 'to be toast'

The other thing worth mentioning is that 22,506 votes given to Mandelson compared with the 14,076 Wrighty managed in 2015 while the Tory core vote held solid at around 8,000 in both elections. In other words, more than two-thirds of the UKIP vote came from Labour and around 3,000 from those that didn't usually bother to vote - the salient point being they that didn't come from the Tories.

Given the collapse of UKIP nationally, which even those who forlornly voted UKIP in last Thursday's Headland and Harbour by-election will have absorbed by now, consider how many of those wandering, former UKIP voters will be willing to vote for the Islington Philosopher, Jeremy Corbyn
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

steveL

Interesting that as the candidates have been revealed on the Mail website, you're only allowed to comment on the Lib-Dem story

AndyHagon

I think it must be a good omen SteveL

HarmonyPeace

I agree Andy, think positive  :)