General Election 2017

Started by steveL, April 19, 2017, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred c

Quote from: steveL on April 25, 2017, 11: AM
Labour nomination is likely to go to Mike Hill (UNISON bloke and Corbynite who stood in Richmond in 2015).  Second places go (very closely) to Alan Clarke AND Robbie Payne. I heard the selection committee nodded off while Clarke was speaking otherwise he might have been in with a chance.

All yet to be confirmed.

https://richmondnoticeboard.com/2015/04/12/what-election-candidate-mike-hill-labour-says-to-constituents/

https://twitter.com/hill_mrh?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Here we are then, a possible Corbynista candidate and a ruling group that professes to be solidly behind Corbyn, so, if this Hill bloke wins the seat, we can't expect anything other than the status quo........ Hill won't want to rock the boat with CABS Cartel and it could all end up as 1 big a**e kissing jamboree for the next 5 years.  :( :( :(

I fear the worst for town, we are destined to be, like North Korea....... A Failed State.

mk1

The faithful always turn out in a General Election. Any council Election held the same day will benefit from the Labour surge.
Put simply the new boy will be in a strong position and this will help the Council candidate greatly.
I think we should step back and look at the long-term picture. Party fortunes wax and wane and they all spend time in the wilderness. Believing we are in some terminal Labour spiral is foolish and the Libs will regain their former position. Both Thatcher and Blair made the mistake of believing their own hype and both  became mentally unstable. The lesson is  bong-eyed looneys who believe that they and they alone 'know' what is right for everyone else are a real problem. We need more of the Ken Clark type who  take a more pragmatic relaxed view of things. Driven zealots foaming about  abstract notions of right and wrong should be certified rather than elected.  Politicians come and go but politics stays the same.

Lord Elpus

I'd vote for Mike Hill, he's a decent man.

steveL

Quote from: mk1 on April 25, 2017, 04: PM
The faithul always turn out in a General Election. Any council Election held the same day will benefit from the Labour surge.
Put simply the new boy will be in a strong position and this will help the Council candidate greatly.
I think we should step back and look at the long-term picture. Party fortunes wax and wane and they all spend time in the wilderness. Believing we are in some terminal Labour spiral is foolish and the Libs will regain their former position. Both Thatcher and Blair made the mistake of believing their own hype and both  became mentally unstable. The lesson is  bong-eyed looneys who believe that they and they alone 'know' what is right for everyone else are a real problem. We need more of the Ken Clark type who  take a more pragmatic relaxed view of things. Driven zealots foaming about  abstract notions of right and wrong should be certified rather than elected.  Politicians come and go but politics stays the same.

The General Election on June 8th is a month after the Headland&Harbour by-election/Mayoral election on May 8th.

I'd say that the combined Tory/UKIP vote will easily outstrip the Labour vote this time but I expect Labour to squeeze through.

I wouldn't vote for Hill because if you asked him to condemn the behaviour of the either of the SCABS, Wilcox, Cranney or James he wouldn't - just like Wright never did and just like the rest of the Labour carpetbaggers never have.......and that makes him just another party puppet; not a decent man.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: Steely Dan on April 25, 2017, 01: PM

If this is our man I'm sure he'll move to the town after he wins.

As long as our MP is good does it matter?
He may well be your man, but he's not our man, we are not a collective of party minions.
Incidentally, would it still matter if our MP was not of the Labour persuasion?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Steely Dan

Quote from: steveL on April 25, 2017, 11: AM
Labour nomination is likely to go to Mike Hill (UNISON bloke and Corbynite who stood in Richmond in 2015).  Second places go (very closely) to Alan Clarke AND Robbie Payne. I heard the selection committee nodded off while Clarke was speaking otherwise he might have been in with a chance.

All yet to be confirmed.

https://richmondnoticeboard.com/2015/04/12/what-election-candidate-mike-hill-labour-says-to-constituents/

https://twitter.com/hill_mrh?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Pure speculation I'm afraid Steve ;-)

fred c

It matters not if he is a decent man, it's the decency of the local labour people he will need to deal with that is the real problem in Hartlepool........ there is one thing for certain, he won't be in any hurry to call for an inquiry into the antics of the local labour mob.

Steely Dan

Quote from: Riddler5 on April 25, 2017, 04: PM

He may well be your man, but he's not our man, we are not a collective of party minions.

Absolutely it would matter. Hartlepool desperately needs a Labour MP and the country needs a Labour government.

Unless you're earning over £80k a year (I doubt it) then you will get clobbered by the Tories.

The Consetvatives are systematically destroying the NHS and social,care. Education is being bolloxed and wages have been stagnant for years.

If you're happy with that lot then you carry on moaning and blathering on here. Some of us see an opportunity for massive change.

Steely Dan

Quote from: fred c on April 25, 2017, 04: PM
It matters not if he is a decent man, it's the decency of the local labour people he will need to deal with that is the real problem in Hartlepool........ there is one thing for certain, he won't be in any hurry to call for an inquiry into the antics of the local labour mob.

Change the record Fred.

Pure speculation. You don't know who the Labour candidate will be and you don't know what he will or won't do should he win.

Do you ever play another tune apart from your depressing dirge?

fred c

Quote from: Steely Dan on April 25, 2017, 04: PM
Quote from: fred c on April 25, 2017, 04: PM

Change the record Fred.

Pure speculation. You don't know who the Labour candidate will be and you don't know what he will or won't do should he win.

Do you ever play another tune apart from your depressing dirge?

I always try to leave the personal comments about users of the post out of my opinions...... on the other hand you have had more than a few pops at me...... so, why don't you go and take a running f**k to yourself.

Steely Dan

Apologies Fred. I was trying to be helpful. A bit of positivity from you now and again would be lovely.

You don't want a Tory MP or a UKIP one do you?

mk1

Quote from: Steely Dan on April 25, 2017, 05: PM

You don't want a Tory MP or a UKIP one do you?

Sometimes a body part is so infected that it needs to be amputated.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: Riddler5 on April 25, 2017, 04: PM

Absolutely it would matter. Hartlepool desperately needs a Labour MP and the country needs a Labour government.

Unless you're earning over £80k a year (I doubt it) then you will get clobbered by the Tories.

The Consetvatives are systematically destroying the NHS and social,care. Education is being bolloxed and wages have been stagnant for years.

If you're happy with that lot then you carry on moaning and blathering on here. Some of us see an opportunity for massive change.
Ever the party man. I'd expect nothing else.
We desperately need a Labour MP? The track record would suggest otherwise, we need to be a marginal constituency, not a docile herd.
I avoid political parties like I avoid religion, it stifles thought. But, if you're happy with the dream/ vision, carry on. I like the idea of voting for whoever offers me the best life options of whatever brand, I've voted for them all. But I know they're all the same, Double Glazing salesmen offering Nirvana. Take them for what they are.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

steveL

QuoteHartlepool desperately needs a Labour MP

In case you haven't noticed, we've had a Labour MP for the past 53 years and a Labour MP AND Labour Government for 24 of them.
The only major change anyone can point to in those 53 years is the development of the Marina which came as the result of a Tory initiative - how ironic is that?

Labour's one achievement has been to embed benefit dependency into the culture of the town in the self-focused believe that people on benefits will always vote Labour.

The very LAST thing this town needs is another silent, careerist Labour MP who puts party before wrong and right because nothing will ever improve until Hartlepool becomes a town all of the parties have to fight for to win i.e. a marginal seat.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

akarjl

Some of us see an opportunity for massive change.

As in a labour MP and a labour council you mean?