General Election 2017

Started by steveL, April 19, 2017, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marky

Hartlepool sitting on the back benches of a barely functioning opposition for the next five years will do nothing for the town.

akarjl

Quote from: mk1 on May 30, 2017, 11: PM
Quote from: mala on May 30, 2017, 11: PM
We must remember that the only reason that Theresa May called this election was because of Brexit.

No. May spent months saying there was no need for an election and then suddenly 'changed her mind'. I believe the proper term is 'U-Turn. She is week and fickle. She called an election for 2 reasons.
1 She thought she had a 20 point lead and would walk it. That lead is shrinking daily.
2. She wants to get enough MPs so she can isolate her own bong-eyed looney EU haters and pursue her own belief that the UK must stay in the EU Customs Union. She is hoping to get enough sane MPs to weather the problems the  nutter will cause her.
Note that if you are a member of the Customs Union you have to submit to the EU Courts as they settle all disputes.
I am quite looking forward to the gnashing of teeth and wailing of the one issue obsessives as May pursues her real aim of keeping the UK in the 'EU'  in everything but name.

As long as we control our borders, make heavy use of exclusion orders to stop muslim extremist (british or not) re entering the country and the European Court of Justice gets the boot who cares?

I suspect most people who voted for brexit want control to pass back to UK especially control of our borders. The issue of overseas aid is a battle for another day but has not been forgotten.

marky

The idea that you can refuse entry to those already with a British passport shows that you are unfamiliar with international law and the 0.7% commitment to overseas aid is a UN commitment. Fortunately, we live in a country that prides itself on complying with International laws and on meeting its commitments to the UN.

akarjl

Quote from: marky on May 31, 2017, 08: AM
The idea that you can refuse entry to those already with a British passport shows that you are unfamiliar with international law

Well one of us is...... ;)

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/counter-terrorism-and-security-bill

QuoteThe act will:

give the police power to temporarily seize a passport at the border, so that they can investigate the individual
create a Temporary Exclusion Order that can temporarily disrupt a British citizen suspected of involvement in terrorist activity abroad from returning to the UK(so that when individuals do return, it is done in a manner which we control)

Quote from: marky on May 31, 2017, 08: AMand the 0.7% commitment to overseas aid is a UN commitment. Fortunately, we live in a country that prides itself on complying with International laws and on meeting its commitments to the UN.

Thanks for the correction...actually it is not an "International Law" it is a target.

http://www.unmillenniumproject.org/press/07.htm

Guess which nations actually meet the target?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/790740/UK-spends-more-than-three-times-foreign-aid-than-rest-of-world

QuoteOne in every eight pounds spent in handouts to poor countries around the world is funded by the British taxpayer, the latest figures by the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) have revealed.

While Britain had a major funding crisis in schools and hospitals the Government was still able to spend more than £13billion on foreign countries in 2016.

This was from a total worldwide aid budget of £100 billion.

Read that again..... total £100 billion of which Britain provides £13 billion.

Like it or not, a lot of people think this is an election issue and that should it should be discusses/addressed/reformed/stopped.

marky

You should be more honest and just say out loud that you don't like giving money to brown people. If the UK paid 0.7% of its GDP to foreign countries for the next 100 years, it still wouldn't come close to paying back what it had ripped off from those countries in the past. 

akarjl

Quote from: marky on May 31, 2017, 11: AM
You should be more honest and just say out loud that you don't like giving money

I don't like wish to be forced into giving money to wasting money on countries that do not need it like oil rich countries.the PLO, Pakistan and India.

Quote from: marky on May 31, 2017, 11: AM
to brown people. 

Ahhh what a surprise the race card....again....how boring....can't you think of some reasonable counter argument? ...Next.

marky

Saying that you want the money to be better targeted is a lot different to saying that you resent paying any of it in the first place. Also, comparing one country with another is just like the greedy kid who makes sure he doesn't share more of his sweets than others do. Some countries, like Japan,don't give cash directly but pay invoices for equipment and food etc. Maybe this is how the UK should do things but at the end of the day, either you believe in helping others or you don't. I'm happy to live in a country where even the least well off regularly contribute to charities and disaster funds simply because it's in their nature - pity it isn't in yours.

Hartlepudlion

Well Marky, if you were around in the 60s you will know aid was in goods, services and food. But the liberals and intellectuals in this country thought it was demeaning for the recipient countries to receive aid in this way. So cash was given instead and thus the abuse of aid became a serious problem.

mk1

Quote from: Hartlepudlion on May 31, 2017, 01: PM
Well Marky, if you were around in the 60s you will know aid was in goods, services and food. But the liberals and intellectuals in this country thought it was demeaning for the recipient countries to receive aid in this way. So cash was given instead and thus the abuse of aid became a serious problem.

There is graft and corruption everywhere. Even UK based charities are defrauded. It is a fact of life and it is an excuse used by those who hate all foreign people(but more so brown ones) in order to try and end all aid.
You can never debate with these loons. No matter how good your argument is they will never  shake of their absolute belief in their own superiority over every other nation on earth, They are not against Foreign Aid because they want it better spent they are against foreign aid because they hate foreigners.

Mind you their is one UK 'export' they do support. If you are an innocent  in Syria or Iraq they support dropping bombs on you.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/us-led-coalition-air-strikes-isis-syria-iraq-civilian-deaths-total-latest-mosul-oil-tankers-a7611986.html

"We regret the unintentional loss of civilian lives resulting from coalition efforts to defeat Isis in Iraq and Syria and express our deepest sympathies to the families and others affected by these strikes," a spokesperson said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/23/coalition-air-strikes-kill-100-civilians-one-building-mosul/

More than 200 civilians are reported to have been killed in a single US-led coalition raid on Mosul, as the United Nations warns the worst was yet to come for those still trapped in the Iraqi city.

Some 230 bodies of mostly women and children were pulled from three adjoining houses in the Jadida neighbourhood of west Mosul overnight Wednesday and into Thursday morning, according to witnesses.

If you are an Afghan wedding party they will send  you some fireworks to make it all go with a bang. At least 8 such weddings have been bombed and  hundreds killed but hey we said we are sorry what more do they want?

akarjl

LOL consistent.... ;)

British overseas aid should be controlled not handed out as a target percentage...

I have a simple approach

1 look after number one,as in UK- schools, health service, social care, the needy etc UK Charities may be corrupt but at least the can be investigated and prosecuted in UK.
2 Supply humanitarian assistance where needed- oddly not to countries that are funding space programs Brown,Black or sky blue pink I don't care.
3. Protect our borders, exclude ANYONE who is a perceived threat. The various arguments that we caused all of the worlds problems and should reap the whirl wind are just plan nonsense.

I really don't care if others think we should "pay the price for the empire".

The issue needs to be faced and addressed it really is the elephant in the corner of the room and it is being ignored.

Unfortunately the Ukippers are the only ones who are prepared to address the problem and 99% of their "candidates" do actually appear to be bong eyed loonies.= have to agree with MK1 on that and I can't vote for them.

If Mother Theresa had said" We will reexamine our commitment to overseas aid" a lot of people would have sat up and listened.= Can't vote for them.

Citizen Corbyn assisted by Diane "I don't have an afro anymore or a CSE in maths" Abbot,god help us, are slowly closing the gap with the possibility of the days of the "winter of discontent" and bending over to militant trade unionists returning. = So again can't vote for them.

Pity Lawrence isn't still with us- he would have made a better candidate than the ones we have standing in Hartlepool .

Leaving the Independent candidates?

I look forward to the usual bong eyed racist loonies comments with a smattering of "brow" thrown in. As I said = Consistent.

akarjl

Again we agree with regards to Mother Theresa....not to be trusted.

Hartlepudlion

How on earth do you come to that conclusion mk1? All I did was point out that aid from the UK  in the 60s was in kind and not in cash. You really need to read the comments and stop putting words into other people's mouths

mk1

Quote from: Hartlepudlion on May 31, 2017, 06: PM
How on earth do you come to that conclusion mk1? All I did was point out that aid from the UK  in the 60s was in kind and not in cash. You really need to read the comments and stop putting words into other people's mouths

I did say 'It is a fact of life and it is an excuse used by those who hate all foreign people....'.
The sobriquet 'loon' is self-selecting. If you recognise yourself it is addressed to you. If you don't  think it applies to you then obviously it is not aimed at you.

I think the confusion arises when you conflate an open forum with many contributors with a personal one-to-one conversation.

akarjl

Quote from: mk1 on May 31, 2017, 06: PM
I think the confusion arises when you conflate an open forum with many contributors with a personal one-to-one conversation.

√ Another reason why this type of open forum discussion is infinitely better than the lunacy on twatter and Facialbook.