Press Release re: Public Enquiry (locked)

Started by admin, May 02, 2013, 03: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

The following is a Press Release issued by HBC and relating to the ongoing Public Enquiry

"PEOPLE are being given a further opportunity to contribute to the ongoing public inquiry in Hartlepool with the addition of an extra day to provide information.

The inquiry is examining the effectiveness and transparency of Hartlepool Council's commissioning and grant-funding arrangements for the voluntary and community sector and the declarations of interest made by Hartlepool Borough Councillors.

Hartlepool councillors instigated the inquiry themselves following the publication of the Local Government Association Peer Review that took place last year. The inquiry will look back over the last five years and is being chaired by Tom Mitchell, a barrister practising from Fountain Chambers in Middlesbrough.

Members of the public have had an opportunity to give their views to the inquiry during half-hour sessions (or multiples of them) from 10am on weekdays at the Civic Centre in Victoria Road from Thursday 25th April to Tuesday 30th April. 

Representatives of the voluntary and community sector are now being given their chance to meet up with Mr Mitchell during similar sessions at Civic Centre from Wednesday 1st May to Friday 3rd May.

Lastly, from Wednesday 15th May to Friday 17th May it will be the turn of councillors and former councillors. If any councillor or former councillor is also a member of the voluntary and community sector, they are asked to attend these sessions for councillors rather than the voluntary and community sector sessions.

Also, an additional day has now been organised for any person or group to submit information. It will be on Monday 20th May, again in half-hour sessions starting at 10am.

All the sessions must be pre-booked in advance by calling 01429 523647.

Mr Mitchell said: "I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to the inquiry so far.

"I felt it was important to allow further time for people to have their say, which is why I have now included the additional day of 20th May.

"I would also be very pleased to hear from any current or former Hartlepool Council employee who feels they have something to contribute.

"I would also like to remind everyone that they can also submit comments to me by email at publicinquiry@hartlepool.gov.uk at any time up to and including Monday 20th May." 

In an open letter on the Council's website, Mr Mitchell says: "At its heart, this inquiry is about standards and the scrutiny applied to commissioning by the Council within the voluntary and community sector. 

"The question is whether elected members of the council have sought to use their position for the gain or advantage of themselves or others known to them. 

"My job over the coming weeks is to get to the facts and see whether or not those concerns expressed by the Local Government Association have any foundation.

"I come to this process as an outsider. I have no connection with Hartlepool or Hartlepool Council. Consider me a blank page. I depend on the information you bring so that I can properly choose the areas I have to examine more closely.

"I need your input so that I can carry out what I hope will be a valuable exercise on your behalf. I urge you to participate and I look forward to hearing from you.""