Not really local, but.....?

Started by Inspector Knacker, September 20, 2021, 10: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

I've been amused by the future of the demolition of the Dorman Long tower over the river and it being preserved as a monument to the the area's industrial past.
Now no one is keener on preservation then me, but...... come on, get real.
For a start it's in the middle of a development area that will bring jobs and quotes in excess of £9 miilon have been tendered to stabilise what is basically a multi thousand ton coal bunker.
If it had been preserved, then what, an obligatory cafe, a museum?.... which would add even more to the cost of something that would hardly draw the tourists in numbers.
When will people realise these nostalgic whims , rather like the ludicrous impulse by some to preserve the Redcar blast furnace cost an awful lot of money to maintain. But it's easier when someone else is funding your nostalgia,
Talking of icons, when is the Transporter with it's ridiculous office hour openings going to operate again, it must be a couple of years since it last groaned and rattled it's way across the Tees.
Get the Dutch in to build a lifting bridge further down the river at Cargo Fleet and open up the area.

Bridges come and bridges go,
the transporters for life,
it's an icon y'know!

What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Agree - the Dorman Long building is hardly a thing of beauty. Industrial archaeology always sounds more appealing than it is in reality.

As for the transporter, I didn't think it was running at all!

Inspector Knacker

It hasn't run for a couple of years....it's the worlds most expensive bungee jumping platform.

Regarding the Dorman Long tower, I suspect that if the words 'DORMAN LONG hadn't been painted on the side all those years ago, no on would given a toss about it.

Lucy Lass-Tick

The pilling tower on the Haverton Hill road had ICI on it - in giant blue letters. Now it is anonymous.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on September 20, 2021, 02: PM
The pilling tower on the Haverton Hill road had ICI on it - in giant blue letters. Now it is anonymous.
Now it stands for In Cognito Industry. ;)

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on September 20, 2021, 05: PM
Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on September 20, 2021, 02: PM
Now it stands for In Cognito Industry. ;)

Sad, really. Back in the day, it was said to be a brilliant place to work. Really looked after their staff.

Inspector Knacker

Yes it was, The remains of the welfare facilities are still standing in Billingham. When I was a kid our next door neighbour worked there, they were well looked after by the company in relative terms to other company's employees.