Hartlepool vs nuclear waste

Started by Lucy Lass-Tick, August 06, 2021, 03: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy Lass-Tick

From a local media source:

Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen has become aware of a secret meeting to push plans forward for nuclear waste dumping in Hartlepool.
The meeting took place between Sacha Bedding, Chief Executive of the Wharton Trust charity and representatives from the Labour group on Hartlepool Borough Council to test their appetite for the project.
Mayor Houchen is furious that any councillor, of any political colour, would ever entertain such a meeting given the nature of the project.
Mr Houchen was recently contacted by The Wharton Trust who urged him not to "express a view" on the plans because of his strong opposition to nuclear waste disposal in the area.
Since receiving the letter Mayor Houchen did contact a number of councillors in Hartlepool, including council leader Shane Moore, to make it clear that this was not an acceptable proposal and should not be entertained.
Mayor Houchen told the Hartlepool Council leader that any plans of this nature were dangerous and would hinder investment within the town and the wider region.
After learning about the secret meeting to arrange a backroom deal Mayor Houchen urged Council Leader Shane Moore to publicly rule out allowing the plans to go ahead.
Commenting Mayor Houchen said: "This stinks! I want to give Hartlepool Labour the benefit of the doubt. I hope this isn't an attempted stitch up in secret to bring a highly dangerous nuclear waste dump to Hartlepool. They need to make their position clear immediately as the longer they are silent the more it says about their position. They must disclose details of this meeting, what was discussed and if they decided to support these ridiculous plans.
"For as long as I am mayor, I will fight tooth and nail to not allow our amazing region to become a dumping ground for nuclear waste, I'm told Shane Moore feels the same as I do, so now is the time for him to come out and condemn these plans publicly and commit to not allow any nuclear dumping in the town.
"I've already taken steps to speak with Government and have informed them that this is not wanted in Hartlepool and never will be.
"We are making huge strides in Hartlepool and across Teesside and Darlington and the last thing we need as we sell our region to the world is to be known as the dumping ground for the UK's nuclear waste."

Lucy Lass-Tick

A little more from Mayor Houchen. 'I have only received an email from ONE Hartlepool councillor who informs me he is against the plan.
The Leader of the Labour Group on Hartlepool Council, Jonathan Brash, has admitted to the meeting but has FAILED TO CONDEMN THE PLANS by saying "We didn't make a decision to support the proposal. We haven't decided to actually do anything with it..."
Seems like an obvious decision to me... no thanks!
Here's a letter I recently received from the Wharton Trust admitting to pushing the nuclear waste facility and asking me to keep quiet and "not express a view". They have been working on this for some time and have even misrepresented my view on this to Government ministers! I quickly set them straight!
The letter clearly states a disgusting distain for local people asking an elected representative not to talk about such an important issue because they want to try and sneak it through. All because of the financial incentives this would bring...
I'll keep you updated but we now need clear answers from councillors across hartlepool. They must come out against these plans!!!!'

Inspector Knacker

What planet are Labour orbiting? This should be dispelled without even discussing it.
We aren't living in the 1960's anymore, we've moved on....jobs at any price are not worth a bucket of warm s***e.
How do they feel about a Black Death repository or storing withdrawn nuclear submarines in the Marina, even a bid to move Parton Down would no doubt be endorsed....... I wouldn't put it past them.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Reminds me of failed plans (70s/80s) to use the old anhydrite mines at Billingham for a similar purpose. What's odd here is that some of the documents mention 'offshore' storage.

Grumblstiltskin

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on August 06, 2021, 07: PM
What planet are Labour orbiting?

The Planet £££, I thought we had seen the back of stuffed brown envelopes, maybe not?

The Great Dictator

Who exactly are the Wharton Trust ?

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: The Great Dictator on August 07, 2021, 11: AM

Who exactly are the Wharton Trust ?
After reading their CV, nothing of any consequence in this business, why would an organisation like this be involved?
Is there a connection between them and the local Labour Party?
What I don't understand is how a Party not in power can have any power to wield in this context and their pontificating is embarrassing...can someone please give Brash a nudge and tell him they don't hold power in the Council chamber anymore, the wasted years are gone.

The Great Dictator

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: The Great Dictator on August 07, 2021, 03: PM

Is this just a rumour ?

Doubt it - too much back up material for that.

eddy

To be fair they approached Ben too, he has chosen to not admit this publicly (at least at first) as well as all the other parties.  This is being spun in a certain direction to generate political capital

Inspector Knacker

'Ben' appears to have made it plain what he thinks.
Sadly your chums in the Labour Party appear to be having cerebral farts.
As for muddying the waters, well you should know.

Lucy Lass-Tick

This seems to have roots going back a couple of years (or so). Roots within previous incarnations of HBC?

Inspector Knacker

I wonder who was 'running things' then ...... Doh! ::)
Now it makes sense. My earlier joking references to Black Death  repository, old nuclear subs in the Marina etc would become Council policy and described as a breakthrough in recycling and halting climate change.... and keep a straight face as they said it !

Tee_Ess_25er

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on August 09, 2021, 09: PM
This seems to have roots going back a couple of years (or so). Roots within previous incarnations of HBC?

This does seem to have it's origins in a previous 'glorious' leader of the Council judging by the contents of the letter to Ben, "We chose to do this following a presentation back in 2017"

It definitely makes a lot more sense now.

https://www.facebook.com/TeesValleyMayor/photos/a.1956344774602577/3040799512823759/