Upmarket snobbery?

Started by Inspector Knacker, July 27, 2021, 11: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

Driving down Marina Way towards the Balls Roundabout 6 O'clock this morning and in the peace and stillness, something caught my eye. On the left is a road sign giving directions.....but on the green sign a white label has been placed over the word 'DOCKS' with the much more classy 'PORT' ...... why? .....does the word 'docks' sound a bit naff now we have a Marina?... why go to all the expense and bother, it's crazy. A waste of time and money but I still call it the docks.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Grumblstiltskin

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on July 27, 2021, 11: PM
Driving down Marina Way towards the Balls Roundabout 6 O'clock this morning and in the peace and stillness, something caught my eye. On the left is a road sign giving directions.....but on the green sign a white label has been placed over the word 'DOCKS' with the much more classy 'PORT' ...... why? .....does the word 'docks' sound a bit naff now we have a Marina?... why go to all the expense and bother, it's crazy. A waste of time and money but I still call it the docks.

Been like that for a couple of years at least

Inspector Knacker

Must pay more attention when driving....who put them balls on the roundabout ;D

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on July 28, 2021, 09: PM
Must pay more attention when driving....who put them balls on the roundabout ;D

Maltesers?

Inspector Knacker

I remember the old balls getting a spruce up last year and they came out a lovely shade of deep orange, I thought that brightens the place up a bit.  Passed a week later and found that was the undercoat and they'd got a good slapping on of battleship grey :(

diSme

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on July 29, 2021, 08: PM
I remember the old balls getting a spruce up last year and they came out a lovely shade of deep orange, I thought that brightens the place up a bit.  Passed a week later and found that was the undercoat and they'd got a good slapping on of battleship grey :(
Probably in support of our internationally famously renowned naval museum....
I believe everything and nothing

Inspector Knacker

Back in the day I slapped quite a bit of grey paint on by 'volunteering' ( getting caught). ;D

Grumblstiltskin

I did like it when someone painted smiley faces on the balls

Inspector Knacker

There's no answer to that! ;D