Face-masks work

Started by mk1, August 02, 2020, 11: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

A 2009 study of the effectiveness of mask.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2662657/

Compliance was low  but data from on those that did wear mask showed a significant reduction in transmission.

Interesting bit:

During the 2006 and 2007 winter seasons, 286 exposed adults from 143 households who had been exposed to a child with clinical respiratory illness were recruited. We found that adherence to mask use significantly reduced the risk for ILI-associated infection, but <50% of participants wore masks most of the time. We concluded that household use of face masks is associated with low adherence and is ineffective for controlling seasonal respiratory disease. However, during a severe pandemic when use of face masks might be greater, pandemic transmission in households could be reduced.

akarjl2

and?

If rules are not enforced then it is all pointless - all we can do is adopt a personal protection approach especially while morons are standing less than 1 meter apart  at Seaton for fish n chips and holding raves etc.

A certain generation think they invincible and will never take the risks seriously - until someone close to them succumbs....then it will be a race/lack of action by government blame culture as opposed to shut the f*c* up and do as you are told.....
The Morons seemed to have gone but so have the normals.....

mk1

Quote from: akarjl2 on August 04, 2020, 09: AM

A certain generation think they invincible and will never take the risks seriously -
I beg to differ. I see a lot of 'older' people spouting conspiracy theory garbage. It is a coalition of anti-vaxxer/anti Soros/anti-deep State  lunatics who think they (and they alone) are the keepers of the truth whilst everyone else is castigated as sheep.
Its an offensive by a  coalition of the credulous. Full-on nutcases are leading the charge but they are helped by the multitude of  functional illiterates who thrive on social meeja.
This public stupidity is not a new thing. It was first studied by US Intelligence Agencies back in the 1950s when they used it to create (among other things) the 'Flying Saucer' hysteria and reinforce their anti-Communist agenda.

Note that the aim of all this is not to make everyone believe the latest crazy  lies but rather to condition the not so nutty people to seeing many contradictory claims. To confuse people so they do not know what is real and what is lies so they stop accepting any explanation.  It appears to be working and there are a number of studies on Conspiracy Theorists about  that describe the personality types who believe this garbage. It appears to be mainly projection.  Because the people who believe conspiracy theories would have no hesitation lying and making things up to further their agenda then they are willing to believe the other side are making the stuff up as well.

mk1

Quote from: akarjl2 on August 04, 2020, 09: AM
and?

If rules are not enforced then it is all pointless - .....

Which is exactly the conclusion of the Paper I linked.

akarjl2

Quote from: mk1 on August 04, 2020, 11: AM
the people who believe conspiracy theories would have no hesitation lying and making things up to further their agenda

aka politicians ...especially local ones and anyone who "believes" organised religions have anything to do with some "divine being".

akarjl2

Quote from: mk1 on August 04, 2020, 11: AM

I beg to differ.

What a surprise.

Try travelling by air for business these days- 0800 and pax bar at NCL full of 18-30 on the p**s no social distancing. Muppets on a rammed plane removing their face masks to swill free booze arguing staff and fellow pax.

Unfortunately the real world is not reflected on line and no matter how many sites you visit and link, to sitting on your fence, you obviously have no idea what is actually happening outside your bubble.

mk1

Quote from: akarjl2 on August 04, 2020, 04: PM

What a surprise.

No.
This is a surprise, a nice surprise. The guitar player got an eyeful and James Last had a good look as well!

https://vimeo.com/444618261

akarjl2

how odd an irrelevant video......

next

kevplumb

A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

mk1

Quote from: kevplumb on August 04, 2020, 09: PM
funny tho.....

It all goes right over his head........

akarjl2

Quote from: mk1 on August 04, 2020, 10: PM
It all goes right over his head........

Nope - Old vids on YouTube provide nothing- even a laugh.

Sat astride the fence, massaging your piles whilst pontificating about BLMUK/Fruitcakes/loonies/CIA/FBI etc on a small town forum and wandering round the internet is not actually real life, it's a hobby ( all be it a weird hobby)......working and travelling in the middle of a Covid pandemic gives you the real picture the REAL world. If the care home will allow you and your rail pass is still valid you should try wandering around this "brave new world".

mk1

Quote from: akarjl2 on August 05, 2020, 06: AM

Old vids on YouTube provide nothing- even a laugh.

Wrong....................

https://vimeo.com/444851814

akarjl2

Obviously reduced bandwidth in the care home

mk1

Quote from: akarjl2 on August 05, 2020, 06: AM
you should try wandering around this "brave new world".

I did. Lenina and I had a great time in New Mexico. We brought Linda and John back with us but John was a bit weird, kept quoting Shakespeare all the time. I would like to thank Mustapha Mond for allowing me to move to the serenity of the  Falklands

Lucy Lass-Tick

And in this parallel universe ....