Mail Subscription.

Started by seaton, July 21, 2020, 07: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seaton

They are now saying you can only read 5 articles a week then it's a £1 a month, times must be hard albeit sits only a £1.

The Great Dictator

The website is horrendous, you start to read a story then you are suffocated by Citroen adverts for 3 minutes :(

kevplumb

Quote from: seaton on July 21, 2020, 07: AM
They are now saying you can only read 5 articles a week then it's a £1 a month, times must be hard albeit sits only a £1.
be lucky if you can find 5 worth reading  ;D ;D
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: The Great Dictator on July 21, 2020, 09: AM

The website is horrendous, you start to read a story then you are suffocated by Citroen adverts for 3 minutes :(

Which then freeze the page ...

mk1

It is the way nearly all newspapers are going. The Mail used to make you 'register' a while back but they dropped it when their print circulation tanked  they are just  re-introducing it.  Given most of their stories are one or two paragraphs saying 'Reports are coming in that this has happened' accompanied by Google Street views of the general location and a suggestion you keep reading the paper as the story will be updated as more facts are revealed (which rarely ever happens) you will not be missing much. I guess they are on a track that 'Leeds' nowhere for them!

Inspector Knacker

If the Mail was a hospital patient the family would have been called to the bedside, the nurse saying...... "he's talking, but it makes no sense".
What was unmissable is now unreadable. If you cut back a local institution to the barest of bones with no meaningful local presence, you fall apart. I'm surprised it's hung on so long.
What happened to the Hartlepool Post.....?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

diSme

Circumventing the limit is extremely easy. There are a number of ways around it.

I for one will not be giving JP a single penny of my hard-earned dosh.
I believe everything and nothing

mk1

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on July 21, 2020, 03: PM
If the Mail was a hospital patient the family would have been called to the bedside, the nurse saying...... "he's talking, but it makes no sense".
What was unmissable is now unreadable. If you cut back a local institution to the barest of bones with no meaningful local presence, you fall apart. I'm surprised it's hung on so long.

Follow the money. Its the adverts that make the cash. Hartlepool Council adverts as well. You can see the effect of this dependence on the Council by the way the paper is very careful not to insult whichever ego happens to be in charge.  The other local weekly free rag paper is in direct competition for the Council money and its getting very crowded (tongue-wise) around the council's bottom as both papers are vying to see who can be the more obsequious.  I suppose its all to the advantage on  local social meeja who can continue to bombard us with ever crazier conspiracy-theories and Russian and Chinese disinformation. The current bun-fight over masks shows the  stupidity a significant  proportion of the dingbat  'mainstream-media' hating population. When you live and die by the number of daily 'engagements' then I guess it is in your interests to keep the loonies on your site and posting.

akarjl2

Quote from: mk1 on July 21, 2020, 05: PM
then I guess it is in your interests to keep the loonies on your site and posting.

Do I detect an attempt at a p**s take of The Hartlepool Post?

Tut tut....
The Morons seemed to have gone but so have the normals.....

mk1

Quote from: akarjl2 on July 21, 2020, 07: PM

Tut tut....
They are all the same. Its included but not limited to.

mk1

Stop press: Twitter acts against QAnon 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53495316

better late than never.

If you think this does not matter then you should view this clip where Trumps first National Security Advisor  Michael Flynn, (since jailed and 'pardoned') with a bunch of Trump loonies,  repeats his oath of Office and at the end signs off with the QAnon slogan 'Where we go one we go all'.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/07/politics/michael-flynn-qanon-video/index.html

That is how bat-sh*it crazy the world has become. Let us hope Facebook bans these crazy people as well. Sure will cut down 'daily engagements' though!

akarjl2

Quote from: mk1 on July 21, 2020, 07: PM
Quote from: akarjl2 on July 21, 2020, 07: PM

Tut tut....
They are all the same. Its included but not limited to.

You?

akarjl2

Quote from: mk1 on July 22, 2020, 05: AM
Stop press: Twitter acts against QAnon 

Define  "batshit crazy"? ...do away with the police...close prisons.....Standby for banning of "a.other" ...don't hold your breath.

mk1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53480226

Misleading and harmful online content about Covid-19 has spread "virulently" because the UK still lacks a law to regulate social media, an influential group of MPs has said.

The Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee urged the government to publish a draft copy of promised legislation by the autumn.

It follows suggestions the Online Harms Bill might not be in force until 2024.

The group's chairman said tech firms could not be left to self-regulate.

"We still haven't seen correct legislative architecture put in place, and we are still relying on social media companies' consciences," said Julian Knight.

"This just is not good enough. Our legislation is not in any way fit for purpose, and we're still waiting. What I've seen so far has just been quite a lot of delay."

Google and Facebook have said they have invested in measures to tackle posts that breach their guidelines.