TEES VALLEY MAYOR VOWS TO REINTRODUCE HEALTH SERVICES IN HARTLEPOOL

Started by Lucy Lass-Tick, January 21, 2020, 04: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy Lass-Tick

Press release:

TEES VALLEY MAYOR VOWS TO REINTRODUCE HEALTH SERVICES IN HARTLEPOOL

Health inequality and health issues preventing employment to be prioritised
A leading dementia care facility to be established in Hartlepool
Mayor: "How can someone sat in Whitehall understand the health needs of someone in Billingham"

Tees Valley Mayor Ben Houchen has pledged to reintroduce healthcare services in Hartlepool if re-elected in May.

As a first step in transforming NHS services in Teesside, Darlington and Hartlepool, Mayor Houchen vowed to reintroduce services and will work to establish a leading state-of-the-art dementia care facility in Hartlepool that will help thousands of families affected by the disease if he is re-elected in May.

Mayor Houchen has also said the region will become a centre of excellence for healthcare services, including making Hartlepool a UK-wide lead in elective and orthopaedic care.

Mayor Houchen said: "Our region deserves first class health services and we must make sure that everyone can access them quickly and effectively. To do that, we must improve the quality and the type of health services across Teesside, Darlington and Hartlepool.

"I can understand the anger and despair of local people in Hartlepool who have seen services stripped away from Hartlepool University Hospital over the last few years.

"There's a sign at Victoria Park that says 'Poolies are born not made' and unfortunately because of short sighted decision making, next to no babies are born in Hartlepool anymore. As someone with strong links to the town I find this very sad.

"Those in London are too remote from our area to understand the local healthcare priorities across Teesside, Darlington and Hartlepool. How can someone sat in Whitehall understand the health needs of someone in Hartlepool or Billingham?"

To be able to achieve this Mayor Houchen has written to Northern Powerhouse minister Jake Berry to request the necessary powers to allow local decision makes to reintroduce services at the hospital in Hartlepool that meet the needs of local people.

The move will allow Mayor Houchen, clinicians and experts to tailor budgets and priorities directly to the needs of local people and communities and improve the health and wellbeing of the 700,000 people who live in Teesside, Darlington and Hartlepool.

A top priority for the metro mayor will be to tackle health inequality which has allowed the UK's biggest gap in life expectancy to develop in Stockton over recent decades.

Men living in Stockton's town centre ward have a life expectancy of just 64, while just a few miles away in Billingham West men can expect to live to 85.
Mayor Houchen will also prioritise health issues that prevent local people from getting back into employment.

Mayor Houchen added: "The fact the there's a 21-year disparity in life expectancy between two places just a few miles apart has been allowed to develop over recent decades is an absolute disgrace. With the devolution of health and social care we can address these issues and reintroduce the required services to make real improvements in peoples lives."

Mayor Houchen launched his re-election campaign earlier this month with the support of Northern Powerhouse Minister Jake Berry, Chief Secretary to the Treasury Rishi Sunak and Exchequer Secretary Simon Clarke promising to bring steelmaking back to Teesside, and in doing so, restoring the region's rightful place as a global leader in the steel industry.

He has also pledged to introduce free parking in town centres and high streets across Darlington, Stockton, Middlesbrough, Redcar and Hartlepool to make it easier, cheaper and more convenient for people to shop in their local high street.

For more information on Mayor Houchen's re-election campaign, visit www.backbensplan.com.

diSme

Promising talk. Surely the return of A&E services should be top of the priority list for Hartlepool though....
I believe everything and nothing

mk1

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on January 21, 2020, 04: PM
Press release:

Men living in Stockton's town centre ward have a life expectancy of just 64, while just a few miles away in Billingham West men can expect to live to 85.
Would it not be easier to move everyone to Billingham when they reach their 60s?

Press release:
For more information on Mayor Houchen's re-election campaign, visit www.backbensplan.com.

That says it all. More baked dishes of fruit, or meat and vegetables, typically with a top and base of pastry seen in that region of the atmosphere and outer space seen from the earth.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: mk1 on January 21, 2020, 08: PM
Press release:

Would it not be easier to move everyone to Billingham when they reach their 60s?

Press release:

That says it all. More baked dishes of fruit, or meat and vegetables, typically with a top and base of pastry seen in that region of the atmosphere and outer space seen from the earth.

I assume the first comment to be ironic ... the second's kind of indicated by the phrase 'press release'

mk1

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on January 21, 2020, 08: PM

I assume the first comment to be ironic ...
The reason why people in different parts  of  Stockton live a lot longer than others is more  a 'wealth' problem but a 'health' one. I expect the proportion of  B, C1, C2 D & E in each area would explain everything. That and  'sharp elbows'.

http://eprints.gla.ac.uk/57021/

Summing up: what can be done about middle class advantage?
It is a complex and possibly controversial matter to provide public services in ways which avoid
middle class households gaining additional advantage or securing special treatment. The wider
economic climate, together with the demographic challenges of an aging population, means that
the years ahead will be characterised by severe competition over shrinking resources. The research
reviewed for this document shows that educated, networked individuals will be best placed to
succeed in this competitive environment. Not only do they have the skills and resources required to
articulate their needs and demands, but the existence of a policy context which encourages active
consumers to co-produce services means it is likely that their voices will be listened to. Moreover,
service providers – whether they are doctors, teachers or local government managers – can
empathise with and favour 'people like them', perhaps without even realising i
t

Inspector Knacker

On his record so far, I'll vote for him. The Labour candidate will more than likely think they're entitled to own us and if the role of Police Commissioner is a guideline to Labour leadership I'll give up hope completely.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

kevplumb

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on January 22, 2020, 06: AM
On his record so far, I'll vote for him. The Labour candidate will more than likely think they're entitled to own us and if the role of Police Commissioner is a guideline to Labour leadership I'll give up hope completely.
his track record tells the tale he does what it says on the can  ;)
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

Inspector Knacker

I watched the Labour Candidate on the the news last night at Hartlepool College revealing her 'manifesto' and got some sweet words about social isolation and lost her other point in it's blandness. She sold her self as the answer to our problems and came across as a happy clappy political comforter.
I want to see projects, signs of progress and not money splashed on woolly pet projects. Houchen had his list of development projects, that's what I want to see from all the candidates, tangible improvements to infrastructure and services.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.