Standby for feeding frenzy

Started by akarjl2, January 02, 2020, 07: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddy

Quote from: mk1 on January 02, 2020, 03: PM
Quote from: eddy on January 02, 2020, 03: PM

Re: TDC, I refer you back to my previous comment re: previous wastelands........ 

A price worth paying?

That fits well with my claim that if you look after your own (the middle class) its is a price worth paying (by the working class).

TDC was corrupt and openly so but because the people in charge (of enforcing standards) empathised with the corrupt ('our people') then nothing was done about it. At the same time as suitcases full of cash were trundling out the back door at TDC ordinary people were being ruthlessly prosecuted for fiddling £1000 of benefits.
For the record I do not believe TDC corruption was a price worth paying. How say you on the matter?

I love the way you believe it won't happen again and steps have been taken to prevent a recurrence.
Thats corruption sorted them!

I think I take a different view on this, but I will never win the argument because you can just yell "they are all corrupt" back at me.  Everyone is corrupt and all consultants are money grabbing scum just out to rinse the poor.  Its an interesting view when you frame it like that.

Since you asked, it's a trade off on the following

1)   Leave the docks as they were, I would imagine they would look similar to those in Liverpool which are still untouched after 40 years of nothing.  There was no way in hell HBC or a private investment company would have the funds to have undertook a regeneration project of that scale on spec.  It may have ended up a load of low rent storage units or scrap yards or other thing but nothing really of long term revenue generation   
2)   Regenerate the area and bring in income from the various retail units that are there, the Historic Quay, apartments and offices via taxes.  Plus the softer touch elements like it becoming a destination and reason for people to come to the town (and spend their money).  There is the whole not having a derelict wasteland at the centre of your town thing too.  Would you rather it was all left as it was?  And I don't think we could have predicted at the time people would have been corrupt in the TDC, but still as a principal would you rather we never bothered at all just incase they are all bent? 

I haven't read a comprehensive review of the finances of the TDC and its back handers, if you want to share information I am happy to review but I doubt (as a principal) I would change my view that it was right to redevelop the marina.  Am not going to be drawn into a row over whether or not they are corrupt because I was only 12 at the time and it will never end, all I can say is from my own experiences its quite hard to do it these days

Clearly am not going to change your view on this so go on being a massive cynic condemning everything to fail whilst offering zero credible alternative

Inspector Knacker

All boils down to being governed by people with no imagination, drive or ambition for decades. Just seat warmers with the IQ of a clothes prop.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

mk1

Quote from: eddy on January 02, 2020, 05: PM

I think I take a different view on this, but I will never win the argument because you can just yell "they are all corrupt" back at me.  Everyone is corrupt and all consultants are money grabbing scum just out to rinse the poor.  Its an interesting view when you frame it like that.

Let me frame it another way. Anyone who thinks 'scroungers' who steal £1000 deserve the full force of the law and thinks one of  'their own' who siphon off £Millions is a 'price worth paying' is corrupt. If you are one of those who believe scrounger crackdowns are a good thing but the theft of £millions is a price worth paying then 'you' are corrupt.

Quote from: eddy on January 02, 2020, 05: PM
And I don't think we could have predicted at the time people would have been corrupt in the TDC, but still as a principal would you rather we never bothered at all just incase they are all bent?

The corruption was plain to see but orders came from on high to make sure it was covered  up and no one  held to account. TDC bought factory sized paper-shredders and openly set about destroying all its records no one stepped in to stop it. From the few surviving  records it would appear at TDC they really were 'all bent'. However bent scroungers get jail whilst bent industrialists get an Honour..

Inspector Knacker

Old mother thatcher said that if she could walk on water, there'd be those who sneered it was because she couldn't swim. Sounds like you.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.