General Election December 12th?

Started by Lucy Lass-Tick, October 24, 2019, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

Ever wonder why the Tories will never lower the voting age?

Graph of voting preference by age.

kevplumb

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on October 26, 2019, 07: AM
Quote from: mk1 on October 25, 2019, 10: PM
Why do we need an election? Did not the people speak in 2017? They elected their MPs  and it is obvious (from the result) there was no 'overwhelming' majority for any particular political party nor for a particular political view.
Yes, the people did speak in 2017 ..... sadly the MP's immediately decided they weren't going to keep their manifesto promise and proceeded to drop the mask and reveal their true colours.
If they'd kept to their 2017 election promise, we'd have got the MP's we'd elected.
We didn't, just weasel words from weasels.
sounds like a council not to far away  ;D
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

Inspector Knacker

Odd how if you change Party in Parliament overnight your feted as an hero even though you broke your election manifesto pledge.
Odd how advocates of remaining emphasise leavers can change their mind and it's a good thing to change Party.
I think it's the 'B' word that sets the fireworks off. ;D
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: mk1 on October 28, 2019, 08: PM
Ever wonder why the Tories will never lower the voting age?

Graph of voting preference by age.

Depends if you think lowering the voting age is a good thing. I detect this trend towards devaluing the votes of people with a wealth of life experience, namely the older voter, over the period since the leave vote .... and their majority for leave option. Since then the denegration of the older voter as incontinent, doddery old oafs waving the Union Jack and longing for Empire has been banged out, culminating in the unbelievable utterances celebrating the death of older voters over the preceding three years as a good event for the remain vote. Such bile is beyond normal comprehension.

fred c

I don't doubt that a minority of 16 year old are capable of understanding the voting process, however from what I see on a regular basis from youngsters around the town the vast majority  aren't interested in politics, there are obvious attractions for giving votes to 16 year olds but I doubt it's in the iterests of the 16 year olds.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Looks like the election's actually going to happen. Date to be confirmed, however. Apparently it may not be physically possible to register 16/17 year olds in time, according to a comment on the BBC web site '

BBC News Channel

'Asked if he supports votes for 16 and 17- year-olds, Lib Dem Tom Brake says: "The difficulty is how do you ensure 16 and 17-year-olds are able to take part in an election by 9, 10, 11 December.

"It is not clear to me that it would be physically possible to achieve that."'

UPDATE: Seems that Labour may have found another delaying tactic - also from the BBC web site

''Is a general election now a certainty?
BBC political correspondent Nick Eardley reports Labour is pushing for a change in the voting age, as well as voting rights for some EU citizens.

And the Sun's political editor Tom Newton-Dunn says Labour's demands could yet be a spanner in the works.'

So

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50221556

Topcat

Quote from: fred c on October 29, 2019, 10: AM
I don't doubt that a minority of 16 year old are capable of understanding the voting process, however from what I see on a regular basis from youngsters around the town the vast majority  aren't interested in politics, there are obvious attractions for giving votes to 16 year olds but I doubt it's in the iterests of the 16 year olds.

Jeremy Corbyn wanted 16/17 year olds to be given voting privileges after he tried to bribe them with abolishing university tuition fees, He was hoping he could buy their votes.

fred c

Quote from: Topcat on October 29, 2019, 11: AM
Quote from: fred c on October 29, 2019, 10: AM

Jeremy Corbyn wanted 16/17 year olds to be given voting privileges after he tried to bribe them with abolishing university tuition fees, He was hoping he could buy their votes.

;)

mk1

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on October 29, 2019, 07: AM
. Since then the denegration of the older voter as incontinent, doddery old oafs waving the Union Jack and longing for Empire has been banged out,

The voting surveys show that on average the Leave voters were older and had less formal education/qualifications than the Remain voters. That is a simple fact. I realise that some are uncomfortable with this and seek to distort the message and  traduce 'experts' as they see  experts as a synonym for the dreaded 'Elite'. The 'Empire' claim is  validated by all  those constantly banging on about more trade with Australia & New Zealand etc.

culminating in the unbelievable utterances celebrating the death of older voters over the preceding three years as a good event for the remain vote. Such bile is beyond normal comprehension.
Total and utter bollocks. I know the quote you think you are using but it did not mean what you try and say. It was actually a dig at those who think the passage of time would help the Remain vote.

mk1

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on October 29, 2019, 11: AM

And the Sun's political editor Tom Newton-Dunn says Labour's demands could yet be a spanner in the works.'

Boris Johnson using every trick in the book to  marginalise and disenfranchise MPs and Parliament = 'will of the people'.

Corbyn doing same = 'spanner in the works'

Good to see The Sun  being impartial for once!

mk1

Quote from: fred c on October 29, 2019, 02: PM

What is the  'Triple Lock' if not a bribe to older voters?

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: mk1 on October 29, 2019, 03: PM
. Since then the denegration of the older voter as incontinent, doddery old oafs waving the Union Jack and longing for Empire has been banged out,

The voting surveys show that on average the Leave voters were older and had less formal education/qualifications than the Remain voters. That is a simple fact. I realise that some are uncomfortable with this and seek to distort the message and  traduce 'experts' as they see  experts as a synonym for the dreaded 'Elite'. The 'Empire' claim is  validated by all  those constantly banging on about more trade with Australia & New Zealand etc.

Total and utter bollocks. I know the quote you think you are using but it did not mean what you try and say.
[/quote]
Oh, YOU know the quote I think I'm using. Thank you ever so graciously and humbly for understanding my own thought process better than me.  Prececeding the patronising comments with using the phrase 'total and utter bollocks' sums it up.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: mk1 on October 29, 2019, 03: PM

The voting surveys show that on average the Leave voters were older and had less formal education/qualifications than the Remain voters.
... are you seriously claiming only those with formal education/ qualifications can comprehend the vagaries of politics ? Does life experience and common sense count for nothing ? Jibber jabber like this fuels elitist  comments.
That is a simple fact. I realise that some are uncomfortable with this and seek to distort the message and  traduce 'experts' as they see  experts as a synonym for the dreaded 'Elite'.
Get a grip, this is sinking into some abysmal conspiracy theory
The 'Empire' claim is  validated by all  those constantly banging on about more trade with Australia & New Zealand etc.
'Banging on'? Actually what is the problem with trade with Australia and New Zealand?
The Empire disappeared a loooooooong time ago, you'll just have to get over it and find something a bit more relevant to fill the phobia gap. 

mk1

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on October 29, 2019, 08: PM
are you seriously claiming only those with formal education/ qualifications can comprehend the vagaries of politics
NO.
I simply present the facts.
All  inferences and perceived slights are in your head.

I know you are trolling and as you did not get a bite with your last reply you thought you would have another go.
Far be it from me to look a gift horse in the mouth so I will use your provocation  to give another outing to the findings  that set you frothing:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38762034

This information provides much greater depth and detail in explaining the pattern of how the UK voted. The key findings are:

The data confirms previous indications that local results were strongly associated with the educational attainment of voters - populations with lower qualifications were significantly more likely to vote Leave. (The data for this analysis comes from one in nine wards)
The level of education had a higher correlation with the voting pattern than any other major demographic measure from the census
The age of voters was also important, with older electorates more likely to choose Leave

mk1

From the FT in 2016 . A newspaper well known as a bastion of snowflake leftist Stalinist Corbynites.