Cockeyed logic?

Started by Inspector Knacker, August 30, 2019, 03: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

Driving towards the new junction at the top of Church St from the marina I noticed the right turn facility has been reinstated so you can turn right to access Morrison's for shoppers driving from the north of town. However, unless my eyes were deceiving me it's for buses only. Now to the best of my knowledge that's a special lane for one bus an hour.. Surely not.
If traffic is turning right from the opposite direction down Church Street why can't it all turn the other way at the same time..?

While we are at it can some of these junctions like the right turn bus and taxi lane outside Titan House up Park Road be utilised for all traffic to keep the traffic flowing?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

fred c

Bus only turnings when we don't have a comprehensive bus service is a prime example of the pisspotical traffic systems in the town, how long have we been waiting for a solution to the Elwick Road, Wooler Road T junction.

There are 3 housing developments in the West Park area, with the likelihood of more to follow, meanwhile in Wooler Road the junction has for many people become defunct, they just tootal past the park and up to the Whitehouse roundabout.

Inspector Knacker

After years of traffic hold ups while different road projects have caused chaos and diversions, I doubt someone who'd been away five years would notice any stand out difference. Spending all those millions and recreating more or less the same old thing is truly a skill to be kept quiet about.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on August 31, 2019, 05: PM
After years of traffic hold ups while different road projects have caused chaos and diversions, I doubt someone who'd been away five years would notice any stand out difference. Spending all those millions and recreating more or less the same old thing is truly a skill to be kept quiet about.

Did you miss the 'sense of arrival'?

Inspector Knacker

Ah, the sense of ....'arrival'.
I assumed the implication of the phrase would indicate a sense of head nodding approval and pride at what greeted my eyes, but alas it looks more like a bleak quayside in Murmansk in March. Which if I was arriving in Murmansk in March would be acceptable.Not so much arrival, more disappointment.
I have noticed however the use of various grey stone paving slabs used profusely in this project. I've also over the past few months noticed them widely used across the area on a lot of such 'renewal' projects, so where are arriving at exactly.

Lucy Lass-Tick

'Aaaaartlepewl twinned with Murmansk?

Grumblstiltskin

P**s up and brewery? How many more times can these muppets b**ls up with our money?

Johnny Bongo

It is indeed a 'No Right turn' to Museum Road/ Morrisons from Marina way.  Imo, Morrisons ought to sue HBC for loss of business.  Plus, how long before the whole sorry saga is totally completed?  There's lots of small jobs to do, ie, partial block paving around inspection / junction boxes, etc.  Maybe, Seymours hope that no one will notice the unfinished work! The 'new' traffic lights, when turning into Victoria Rd from Stockton street, seem to take absolutely eons to change to 'go', as it's a different set up.  As for the 'sense of arrival' ???.............when you have reached the bit where it crosses the railway line (just before the Asda roundabout) and there are safety barriers either side of the bank......do the 'Brains Trust' (that is our elected councillors), intend changing these to the same as the new ones?  If so, will we see another half year of traffic delays?  I dare say that the businesses in Church St have lost £1000's due to the street being blocked off for so long. There should be an enquiry into the planning episode and of course, why there seemed to be only half a dozen Seymour guys working on the  whole project at any one time!   

Inspector Knacker

Then there's the icing on the headstone, traffic lights on the new multi story car park entrance. So, traffic travelling north will end up crossing the lights outside the central stores and run bang onto another set of lights.
This whole list of projects from the great visionaries has caused nothing but congestion for years, ironic really.