1.2 million to gift to Marina shops?

Started by mk1, August 29, 2019, 11: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/business/hartlepool-council-chiefs-explore-potential-ps12million-deal-to-buy-marina-car-park-after-plea-for-cheaper-parking-at-navigation-point-491915

Bosses at Hartlepool Borough Council have been urged to enter talks with Mandale Group about buying the 340-space car park at Navigation Point.
The car park is advertised online for sale freehold with an asking price of £1.2million.
The council says it has been approached by business owners who are worried that the current parking charges are harming trade.
The issue is due to be debated by the council's Finance and Policy Committee on Tuesday, August 27.
A report to the committee states: "Businesses have expressed concerns that recent increases in car parking charges levied by the current car parking operator are having a negative impact.

"Purchasing this car park will support the regeneration of Navigation Point, support business growth and compliment the proposed development at the Waterfront currently being undertaken by the council."
If the council is successful, it is proposing to make charges much cheaper and bring them in line with seasonal charges at Seaton Carew.
At the moment, the first 30 minutes are free at Navigation Point.

After that it rises to £1.50 for up to two hours, £2.50 for two to three hours, £3 for three to four hours, £3.50 for four to five hours and £6 for 24 hours.
The council proposes to reduce them to £1 for up to two hours, £1.50 for two to four hours and £2 to park all day.

The report added: "It is felt that this would encourage more people to use the car park and support local businesses in the area."
It is expected that the car park would pay for itself with income from the new charges repaying council borrowing costs over 25 years.

The authority would also look to introduce commuter parking bays on Middleton Road at £225 a year and restricted parking areas to address road safety concerns.

Tuesday's meeting starts at 11am at Hartlepool Civic Centre.

mr ben

There should be no parking charges at the marina !!! ITS KILLED TRADE  ITS JUST A OUT AND OUT p**s TAKE ..  A pirate decided to screw over  the town folk and got away with it because of our gutless and clueless  morons we have  trying to run the town .

Inspector Knacker

Car parking charges are a 'ratchet' and once you have them you never lose them. Councils are hopelessly hooked on them.
Meanwhile the places who don't charge feel the benefit.
Has any thing really changed since parking charges came at Seaton, personally I drive through it now, never stop though.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

seaton

People moan and groan about Parking Charges personally I disagree with them, how did the Council survive before they were introduced ?
There hasn't actually been a decrease in people visiting Seaton I believe, people just lie down cough up and accept they have too pay but hopefully they remember who introduced them at the next local elections in May.
As and when the Council buy the Car Park it will become a nice little earner, there certainly won't be Free Parking after 4 as the evening is the busiest times.
They will also issue Residents Permits at a Fee, I am not sure they if Residents currently have Free Parking ?

Lucy Lass-Tick

Free parking for residents? I know someone who had a house boat at the Marina and they were faced with time restrictions.

Disgruntled voter

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on August 30, 2019, 11: AM
Car parking charges are a 'ratchet' and once you have them you never lose them. Councils are hopelessly hooked on them.
Meanwhile the places who don't charge feel the benefit.
Has any thing really changed since parking charges came at Seaton, personally I drive through it now, never stop though.

i drive through it too . Enjoyed stopping occasionally for Fish & Chips

fred c

I wouldn't buy a bottle top off Mandale, how much have they made from the marina over the years, the problem of the stinking drains still exist and the block paving is diabolical in many areas.......It isn't just parking charges that affect businesses at Navigation point, the rents aren't exactly cherrybobs.....Over them half the price and if they want more tell them to GTF.

Land Phil

HBC have much bigger problems to sort than the Marina car park.
It is ridiculous that thy give this private enterprise the time of day.
Remember it is our taxes paying for doing the investigation into buying the site.

Apparently it was sold to Mandale for £1 in the first place.

I wonder how much they sold the Longscar for ?
I bet it was a lot less than the (failed) legal costs.

SRMoore

I firmly believe this is the right thing for us as a Council to do IF we can get a good deal that makes the business case for it stack up.

What is important to stress is that if we went ahead with buying this land it would NOT be adding to the existing budget deficit - it must be self funding or we won't progress. Believe me when I say I have enough sleepless nights worrying about the financial situation the coalition inherited without considering adding any other pressures to it.

It is, in my opinion, one of the roles of this Council to ensure we create an environment in which businesses can start, grow and thrive. If we can't intervene in situations like this and ensure the long term viability of Navigation Point with minimal risk then we aren't doing our job properly.

The biggest concern raised by businesses has been the introduction of parking charges 24/7 by the current private provider.

If purchased and operated by HBC it would be operated by the same standard and timings as every other council ran car parks - which means the parking restrictions end around 18:00 and parking would be free.

By self funded we mean that we would be borrowing the money to purchase the land as a capital investment and the repayment costs of that loan must be met by the income from car parking charges, permit parking and other sources of income. If we did not charge for parking the repayment of the loan would have to be added to the existing budget and I nobody wants that to be the case.

I would stress that at this stage all we have asked officers to do is to go away and try to negotiate a good deal that stacks up with our business case. If they are able to agree a fair price and everything stacks up we'll meet again to see if we will progress on those terms. If we can't agree a fair price we will not progress.

Happy to answer questions but I may take a while to get back to you as I'm busy today.

Land Phil

Quote from: SRMoore on September 03, 2019, 11: AM
I firmly believe this is the right thing for us as a Council to do IF we can get a good deal that makes the business case for it stack up.

What is important to stress is that if we went ahead with buying this land it would NOT be adding to the existing budget deficit - it must be self funding or we won't progress. Believe me when I say I have enough sleepless nights worrying about the financial situation the coalition inherited without considering adding any other pressures to it.

It is, in my opinion, one of the roles of this Council to ensure we create an environment in which businesses can start, grow and thrive. If we can't intervene in situations like this and ensure the long term viability of Navigation Point with minimal risk then we aren't doing our job properly.

The biggest concern raised by businesses has been the introduction of parking charges 24/7 by the current private provider.

If purchased and operated by HBC it would be operated by the same standard and timings as every other council ran car parks - which means the parking restrictions end around 18:00 and parking would be free.

By self funded we mean that we would be borrowing the money to purchase the land as a capital investment and the repayment costs of that loan must be met by the income from car parking charges, permit parking and other sources of income. If we did not charge for parking the repayment of the loan would have to be added to the existing budget and I nobody wants that to be the case.

I would stress that at this stage all we have asked officers to do is to go away and try to negotiate a good deal that stacks up with our business case. If they are able to agree a fair price and everything stacks up we'll meet again to see if we will progress on those terms. If we can't agree a fair price we will not progress.

Happy to answer questions but I may take a while to get back to you as I'm busy today.

Is it true that the site was originally sold for £1 ?

mk1

If it works it is around £1000 a week subsidy.

Lucy Lass-Tick

What's the situation regarding the drains?

SRMoore

Quote from: Land Phil on September 03, 2019, 11: AM
Is it true that the site was originally sold for £1 ?

Honestly I have no idea. At the time TDC were around and this stuff was going on the only monetary figure I know from that period was that it cost me 50p in subs to attend the Sea Cadets.

SRMoore

SRMoore

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on September 07, 2019, 03: PM
What's the situation regarding the drains?

The drains would remain the responsibility of Northumbrian Water - Already checked.