Local life expectancy

Started by Lucy Lass-Tick, August 21, 2019, 08: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy Lass-Tick

Life expectancy is dropping in the Teesside area - recent article from the Evening Gazette. Wonder why so many areas are seeing this change? Why could it be happening across most Teesside towns at this point in time?

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/teessiders-would-only-seven-months-16780209

The Great Dictator

Drug deaths among the young are at an all time high in Teesside so the lifespan becomes shorter.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: The Great Dictator on August 22, 2019, 12: AM

Drug deaths among the young are at an all time high in Teesside so the lifespan becomes shorter.

Suppose that would skew the statistics.

Topcat

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on August 22, 2019, 10: AM
Quote from: The Great Dictator on August 22, 2019, 12: AM

Suppose that would skew the statistics.

There are three kinds of lies. Lies,dammed lies and then there are statistics. :-Benjamin Disraeli.

mk1

The detail is not the key it is the trend. If the same rules apply for each 'measure' then the decrease is real.

Lucy Lass-Tick

It seems that almost every 'towns with the worst xxxxxxx' list contains Hartlepool &/or nearby places. Apart from the drugs/smoking/alcohol problems, there is another, more basic issue. Over a few decades, high unemployment/low pay  is bound to impact people's diets (and its cheaper to feed the kids filling stodge than more expensive protein). Sadly, many people will watch Masterchef but lack the skills to cook from basics. So they view 'high end' recipes then reach for a frozen pizza. In addition, the number of takeaways in parts of Hartlepool is astounding. To pick up the phone and order several £s worth of salty, fat laden food which must be the worst value in the world seems odd to me but it seems like a popular option. Not sure why, but ....

diSme

I cook regularly, almost everyday, and I'm pretty good at it too.

We have a freezer full of homecooked, healthy and unprocessed food, however once in a while it's nice to just be able to order in a takeaway and eat something without putting any effort in. Quite often I feel a bit ropey the next day, so this is something that happens once a month, often less
I believe everything and nothing

Johnny Bongo

Until HBC and other Councils stop granting permission for more takeaways, then imo, the 'unhealthy food' problem will just get worse, leading to more untimely deaths due to heart disease.

mk1

Quote from: Johnny Bongo on August 23, 2019, 06: PM
Until HBC and other Councils stop granting permission for more takeaways, then imo, the 'unhealthy food' problem will just get worse, leading to more untimely deaths due to heart disease.

Then the people who whinge about work-shy layabouts will start shouting about the nanny state. Everybody is keen for other people to do the 'right thing' but not so keen doing it themselves

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: mk1 on August 23, 2019, 06: PM
Quote from: Johnny Bongo on August 23, 2019, 06: PM

Then the people who whinge about work-shy layabouts will start shouting about the nanny state. Everybody is keen for other people to do the 'right thing' but not so keen doing it themselves

True - also one of those 'damned if you do & damned if you don't' set ups.

fred c

I'm at a loss to understand why Hartlepool is in the bottom or top 10% of theses statistics, is it the 'nanny state' syndrome were people expect everything and blame everyone for their circumstances.

There are countless reasons / excuses for human excesses, it's never the fault of drug users, alcohol abusers, smokers or parents who seem to be unable to look after and feed their children, what happened to personal responsibility and self respect.

There are obviously lots of people / families who are suffering from deprivation in one way or another and those who find themselves in that position should be the responsibility of the social system.

I expect there will be a plethora of reasons put forward for the report in the above link and all of the other regular statistical reports, I suspect most of them will be aimed at debunking my opinions.

Grumblstiltskin

May also be something to do with the fact the nearest A+E is 14+ miles away (if you're lucky and it's not full and the traffic is OK, pah)

Lucy Lass-Tick

The absence of A & E can't help - nor can the delay in getting a GP appointment.

Land Phil

Good news, HBC knocked back a take away on health grounds.

Near me the shopping parade used to have every shop you needed to cook good food.
Now it has 5 take aways and a convenience store to buy your booze and fags.

We are surrounded by dirty businesses, Ineos was reported recently to have had hundreds of leaks.

Who is monitoring pollution levels ?
The constant stink shows enforcement is not happening.

Inspector Knacker

If you want a very limited lesson in basic Italian food words just pull up outside certain shopping parades and you'll never spell 'pizza' wrong again.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.