Council Meeting

Started by jeffh, June 21, 2019, 07: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffh

Last night's council meeting was interesting to say the least.  The first thing to be noted that the seating arrangements no longer have the councillors with their backs to the public - the first step in the right direction.

The Labour group were either playing games, or trying to cover up a blatant mistake made by Carl Richardson, in trying to table 3 motions that weren't submitted on time.  Whether they liked it or not the rules of the Constitution were applied but a compromise was made by the Mayor proposing an Extraordinary meeting in July to debate the motions - a proposal I thought was the correct way forward.  Unfortunately I didn't hear one word of thanks from the Labour Group.

There was a period of false concern, by the Labour Group, over an estimate received for repairs to Christ Church.  For me the way they dragged it on was ridiculous and only showed them as being petty - I didn't here them debating with such vigour over Seaton Parking Charges, Jackson's Landing, Cafe in the Crem - they just say quietly - so now it's too little too late.

All in all I thought the proceedings were handled well by the Mayor, the CEO, the Solicitor and the Council Leader - something which I thought I would never say - let's hope there's more to come.

I agree that the motions for debate do need to be debated but me must also ensure procedure and protocol - something the Labour group aren't used to

stumped

Unfortunately due to work commitments I find it hard to get to these meetings so I missed last night.

I think we're in very interesting times. The Labour Party are experiencing their first time as opposition with a new leader and deputy leader. It's good to hear that the opposition are being just that and submitting things forward. From what I've heard the previous opposition didn't really do much. I can't think of a time a sorry went out against the SCABs other than when David Riddle was in the chamber.

To me it all looks like a step in the right direction.

I'm disappointed that CAB has been kept in. I understand Shane wanted to spread the seats evenly but a lot of my family and friends voted against CAB. He'd of left by now if he wasn't given a chair seat and the extra expense that comes with it. I'm struggling to decide who i'll be voting for in 2020 and the alleged by-election.

I guess I'm truly stumped!!!!

jeffh

Quote from: stumped on June 21, 2019, 09: AM
Unfortunately due to work commitments I find it hard to get to these meetings so I missed last night.

I think we're in very interesting times. The Labour Party are experiencing their first time as opposition with a new leader and deputy leader. It's good to hear that the opposition are being just that and submitting things forward. From what I've heard the previous opposition didn't really do much. I can't think of a time a sorry went out against the SCABs other than when David Riddle was in the chamber.

To me it all looks like a step in the right direction.

I'm disappointed that CAB has been kept in. I understand Shane wanted to spread the seats evenly but a lot of my family and friends voted against CAB. He'd of left by now if he wasn't given a chair seat and the extra expense that comes with it. I'm struggling to decide who i'll be voting for in 2020 and the alleged by-election.

I guess I'm truly stumped!!!!

Let's not forget that one of the main reasons that CAB got Regeneration Chair is because Labour didn't offer up a candidate to oppose him.  There is no Constitutional requirement to allocate these chairs by political balance and up to James Black throwing his hat in the ring CAB was standing unopposed - I'm certain that if Labour had then offered up a candidate James Black would have immediately withdrawn.  Playing politics at local level doesn't help the town one iota.

Tee_Ess_25er

Quote from: stumped on June 21, 2019, 09: AM
From what I've heard the previous opposition didn't really do much.

I have to disagree with that.
It just was not the case that any 'previous opposition didn't really do much', it was more the case that previous opposition very regularly highlighted issues and forwarded motions against the then majority Labour council, these motions would be then put to vote and Labour knew that with their majority these motions would all be very easily defeated.  It was quite sickening to watch happen first hand tbh.

This kind of opposition and also websites like this one are the very reason why Labour is now in this position as all their dodgy dealings and point blank resistance to be held to account where then very easily made public.

It is now unfortunate that the so called IU have stabbed everyone in the back by allowing the old rotten core of Labour a continued nose in the trough when they should have been showning them the door.

stumped

Quote from: jeffh on June 21, 2019, 09: AM
There is no Constitutional requirement to allocate these chairs by political balance

I'm sure Shane Moore said that it was in the constitution and that was why he was giving them seats

James Black throwing his hat in the ring

So there was an alternative to Cwissy and the IU backed him still? That man is pure poison for the town I've loved for over 35 years. I cant believe he's been allowed to jump back into a seat and ride the cash cow. Sorry all of this stinks to me at the moment. It's business as usual with the labtor coalition however lab have now moved away and its some sort of orgy between SCAB/Cons/IU. Disgusting. Shane told people to sit tight and watch. There was a chance last night for Shane to make the council more transparent amnd now he's pushed it back giving cwissy and co more time to cover up any wrong doing.

stumped

As i said I wasn't at the meeting. But from what I can see here it looks like cwissy is adamant to block this. A good speech from cllr Black as well.

Who is that clapping in the background?

I'd imagine it would be Cranney, Barclay and Sandra enjoying another few months on the gravy train.

I look forward to seeing the extraordinary meeting

https://www.facebook.com/hartlepoollabourparty/videos/739830296433782/

jeffh

Quote from: stumped on June 21, 2019, 10: AM
As i said I wasn't at the meeting. But from what I can see here it looks like cwissy is adamant to block this. A good speech from cllr Black as well.

Who is that clapping in the background?

I'd imagine it would be Cranney, Barclay and Sandra enjoying another few months on the gravy train.

I look forward to seeing the extraordinary meeting

https://www.facebook.com/hartlepoollabourparty/videos/739830296433782/

It was mainly the general public who were clapping as we are no longer seeing Labour riding rough shod over the rest.  They made a mistake not submitting their motions within the required time but then tried to use the Constitution to get out of it.  I would like to have seen the 3 motions heard and debated and transparency around donations to councillor operated charities, but is more important is that we get the basics right first - if Labour had managed to get the change they were after to allow them to submit the motions, yes we would probably have had the result we all want a month earlier but the long term effects would have been far greater.

We need to start thinking about the greater good as opposed to knee jerk reactions and politices of revenge - I really do think that is where Shane Moore is coming from.  The SCABs will be gone soon enough and the way it is being played at the moment they won't be able to cry foul and get off on a technicality.

fred c

There is no Constitutional requirement to allocate these chairs by political balance

I'm sure Shane Moore said that it was in the constitution and that was why he was giving them seats

"Sorry all of this stinks to me at the moment. It's business as usual with the labtor coalition however lab have now moved away and its some sort of orgy between SCAB/Cons/IU. Disgusting. Shane told people to sit tight and watch. There was a chance last night for Shane to make the council more transparent amnd now he's pushed it back"

Last nights council meeting was about the towns 'Constitution' should it be upheld and respected or should 1 party or another be allowed to ride roughshod over it, it was made plain by both the Borough Solicitor and the Chief Executive that Carl Richardson had failed to submit the motion before the known time deadline.

By allowing it, it would have sent a precedent whereby a councillor or member of the public could put forward motions or questions to the council with virtually no notice.

1 of 2 things were apparent last night....either.

1) The labour Pixies were making political mischief.

2) Carl Richardson  can't count to 7

Lucy Lass-Tick

Suspect that we're going to see a parade of propaganda over the next x months which makes Goebbels look like an amateur. From this conversation on the Post's FB page it seems that most people saw right through it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/273708489455822/permalink/1344056602421000/

kevplumb

Quote from: fred c on June 21, 2019, 11: AM

"Sorry all of this stinks to me at the moment. It's business as usual with the labtor coalition however lab have now moved away and its some sort of orgy between SCAB/Cons/IU. Disgusting. Shane told people to sit tight and watch. There was a chance last night for Shane to make the council more transparent amnd now he's pushed it back"

Last nights council meeting was about the towns 'Constitution' should it be upheld and respected or should 1 party or another be allowed to ride roughshod over it, it was made plain by both the Borough Solicitor and the Chief Executive that Carl Richardson had failed to submit the motion before the known time deadline.

By allowing it, it would have sent a precedent whereby a councillor or member of the public could put forward motions or questions to the council with virtually no notice.

1 of 2 things were apparent last night....either.

1) The labour Pixies were making political mischief.

2) Carl Richardson  can't count to 7
i would have thought both to be honest fred  ;D
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

fred c

kevplumb........Yeah, like me I suspect you were hoping for better from labour councillors but it's not to be, what was plain to see on Thursday was the Pixies are more concerned about the Party losing the council than they are about contributing to the betterment of the town.

Interesting that during the adjournment there was a conflab between a couple of the new politburo members an one of the very old bigade who has squirmed out of the woodwork.

Inspector Knacker

If the Labour group (newly emboldened after losing their figurehead) had acted like grown ups, we wouldn't be in this ridiculous position.
Their petulant attitude is either a squalid spoiling exercise to pass the time while expecting to be automatically returned to power next year. Or, they acting like a juvenile political circus without a clue and making a noise because they can. Amateur.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.