Church St zebra crossings.

Started by Inspector Knacker, May 07, 2019, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

Continuing in the tradition of not quite getting it right, the zebra crossings are being dug up and tarmac laid to accomodate traditional markings (as opposed to fancy dan ones that were hard to discern on the road surface) I assume?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Land Phil

What a disaster, they will sink slower than the cobbles and we will be left with another mess, just like the blocks out the front of the civic.

Inspector Knacker

Were the original ones laid last year compliant? Is it permissible to lay off white paving blocks that very quickly discoloured to make them almost invisible even in daylight?
As for using paving blocks on a busy road, what is the point. They're ok where traffic is light, but using them in Church Street is ridiculous. I understand there was talk of it being a 'performance area' but I'm sure tarmac or paving blocks make no difference to anyone.
Any idea of the cost per square metre of paving blocks v tarmac?

diSme

I noted this morning that they were being dug up, but I didn't know why.

Who is footing the bill for the replacement, I'm assuming it'll be Joe Public again,, and if so, what is the cost?
I believe everything and nothing

jeffh

Let's hope they create a refuge in the centre of the one outside of Ian Taylor's shop - small children are obscured from traffic coming off the roundabout by the plinth for the SCAB statue

mk1

Does not Mr Mad Dog have a position with the Contractor?

seaton

Quote from: diSme on May 07, 2019, 07: PM
I noted this morning that they were being dug up, but I didn't know why.

Who is footing the bill for the replacement, I'm assuming it'll be Joe Public again,, and if so, what is the cost?

I would assume the 'design' was acceped by HBC and installed as per spec so Joe Public will be footing the bill.

fred c

An FOI request should get the answer.....surely a zebra crossing can't be classified as commercially sensitive. ?

Inspector Knacker

Wanna bet?
Something along the lines of ..... 'replacement of the zebra crossings for 'aesthetic compatibility malfunctions' will entail a factor of costings to the power of two,  henceforth known as the mandatory extrapolation of relevant practices known to give a distorted view to the layperson, that this will entail blah, blah , blah......!
I actually don't see how a local Council can not give you any figures. We pay the bill by taxes or rates so can we see where our money is being splurged.

Land Phil

Cost will probably offset by the carpet tiles from the ILC.

In all seriousness, HBC have never been open or transparent about anything, they have never provided a straight answer or waited until a question is not as relevant to avoid an issue, from the A&E fight, to the MRA, to the cafe in the Crem, to the gold medals, to Jackson's Landing, to the lessons learnt from the unfortunate death of Angela Wrightson, to highly questionable planning permission, to lack of enforcement, to the shoddy town plan ...and on and on.   

Commercially sensitive is just an easy unaccountable cop out.

fred c

LP...... I wish I had posted that.....Going back to the Peer Review Group Report and before the council have been reluctant to provide information on all sorts of matters why is that, what have they got to hide.........It's recently been mentioned that the council is in danger of having a 104 notice slapped on them, is that what it will take for information to be more widely circulated to the public, or will a change in the leadership of the council bring about more transparency and accountability.

mk1

Quote from: fred c on May 08, 2019, 01: PM
or will a change in the leadership of the council bring about more transparency and accountability.

I think you will find those claiming to be in favour of more openness and transparency will find lots of reasons (entirely outside their control of course) that hinders a return to the old way of doing things.
Being able to ask awkward questions is a luxury you can afford when you are asking the questions and you are not in a position of accountability. When it is your ar*se in the firing line and your decisions being challenged  by questions from the great unwashed then it is very tempting to preserve the rules that shield you from prying eyes.
I know we will be back in this position in 4 years time when Dave/Paddy/Anth/pixie bratt are up to their necks in dodgy dealing and contracts awarded to reliable  Labour stalwarts. It matters not who personally wields power because ultimately the preservation of The Party is the only thing that matters. If you think the new lot are going to blacken the reputation of Labour to get the SCABs then you are deluded.
Don't be fooled by Jonathan  having a go at Angie when he had the ability to be one of the awkward squad. He was after her because she was one of the group that dumped him. That was personal. Note his  silence on Carl's expenses kerfuffle.

fred c

Yep... mk1, I have no doubt you are right on the button with that, what gives the game away is the bare faced lies told about MacLaughlin working at NT and living in Hartlepool, he still maintained that the Doc was living in Hartlepool on Thursday night at the count...... Other pre-election stunts also point to the MO used by Pixie Brat, the Crackpot Compositor and others, 1 of whom was a recent candidate.

Inspector Knacker

Well, the new, proper zebra crossings (as opposed to the arty fart useless ones) are now in place. They do have a regrettable habit if doing things twice.

Land Phil

Which begs the questions.
Where are the original ones being stored ?
Where will they be reused ?

:D