Hurrah, we are top of another Table

Started by Tee_Ess_25er, April 09, 2019, 10: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tee_Ess_25er

Something that really needs to change or is the reason because of what we are stuck with and no real end in sight......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47666080

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Tee_Ess_25er on April 09, 2019, 10: AM
Something that really needs to change or is the reason because of what we are stuck with and no real end in sight......

You beat me to it! Interesting article which highlights Hartlepool voters' feelings regarding local elections.

Tee_Ess_25er

I am lucky enough to be in Manor Ward.........

I always make a point of voting but have no idea what I am going to do this time, there is very little to no choice (not that we get a lot of choice in this ward anyway) with the Labour candidate actually a frontrunner on the hope that they will make a change but I don't know if I can trust them tbh

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Tee_Ess_25er on April 09, 2019, 11: AM
I am lucky enough to be in Manor Ward.........

I always make a point of voting but have no idea what I am going to do this time, there is very little to no choice (not that we get a lot of choice in this ward anyway) with the Labour candidate actually a frontrunner on the hope that they will make a change but I don't know if I can trust them tbh

Don't envy you ... bit of a Hobson's Choice.

Inspector Knacker

I really do think a lot of people say why bother, Labour always get in. The myth that Labour are unassailable feeds itself and the merry go round carry's on spinning.
Recalling the H'angus election, this was a chance for voters to on the one hand take the p**s and do it without voting for the opposition. They voted for the monkey because basically they were saying no thanks to the other candidates which at the time looked more like a Coronation.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Heknocks68

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on April 09, 2019, 10: AM
Quote from: Tee_Ess_25er on April 09, 2019, 10: AM

You beat me to it! Interesting article which highlights Hartlepool voters' feelings regarding local elections.
Sums it up, sad, so sad, but this is where we are. Not necessarily for the better. The future has been sold, we now spend a lot of time in_fighting and chastising each other, meanwhile, they scoff and quaff.

diSme

My missus falls into the apathetic category. She firmly believes that voting will achieve nothing beneficial,,, and I do kind of see why, however, we have to at least try don't we....

I think I've managed to persuade her that it's worth the minimal effort, and have also given her a basic understanding of the local political scene.

I myself went through a period of disillusionment, where I didn't bother to vote for quite some time, but the increasingly bizarre behaviour, and financially calamitous expenditures from the ruling mob finally got me back into the game.

I try my best to educate others about what is occurring in this town,, however the majority of it seems to fall on deaf ears.

People generally just can't be arsed with it....
I believe everything and nothing

mk1

Quote from: diSme on April 09, 2019, 09: PM
My missus falls into the apathetic category. She firmly believes that voting will achieve nothing beneficial,,,
I know it does not change much. I have lived through Wilson (when I first became aware of 'politics') to May and despite the losing side predicting the end of civilisation when the opposition replace them all change is gradual and never as terrible (for the loser) as they make out. Currently the Tory press is running with 'Labour are communists who will steal your savings' scare and the Labour biased news sites say the Tories are going to end the NHS. Its all bollox. If you invest too much in any one political party then you are going to suffer greatly when your party losses office. I suggest you take a step back and do not commit to any  of them. Your life gets a lot easier come the failed Election Night!
I believe all politicians become corrupt even if they start with the best intentions. Its like all of life. If you have inside connections you get a heads start on everyone else. You will never end corruption but you can  regularly replace the corrupt with those not quite so blatantly corrupt. Damage limitation rather than eradication

mr ben

see what happens this elections ... brexit party or ukip will be  a massive turn out  in this town .

fred c

Quote from: mk1 on April 09, 2019, 09: PM
My missus falls into the apathetic category. She firmly believes that voting will achieve nothing beneficial,,,
I know it does not change much. I have lived through Wilson (when I first became aware of 'politics') to May and despite the losing side predicting the end of civilisation when the opposition replace them all change is gradual and never as terrible (for the loser) as they make out. Currently the Tory press is running with 'Labour are communists who will steal your savings' scare and the Labour biased news sites say the Tories are going to end the NHS. Its all bollox. If you invest too much in any one political party then you are going to suffer greatly when your party losses office. I suggest you take a step back and do not commit to any  of them. Your life gets a lot easier come the failed Election Night!
I believe all politicians become corrupt even if they start with the best intentions. Its like all of life. If you have inside connections you get a heads start on everyone else. You will never end corruption but you can  regularly replace the corrupt with those not quite so blatantly corrupt. Damage limitation rather than eradication

I couldn't agree more mk1......The fact that certain councillors have been 'in the job' for
year after year after year tells it's own story, failure to challenge these long serving career councillors has brought us to our current predicament.

We have a number of councillors who haven't been gainfully employed for up to 20 plus years, that in its self is reason enough to question why they stick around for so long.

I suspect most of us would find it extremely difficult if not impossible to keep a home, a family, a car and a reasonable lifestyle on a councillors allowance, I suppose asking the question......How have they managed it ? is perfectly justifiable

stokoe

Quote from: mk1 on April 09, 2019, 09: PM

WOW. 👍👏