Councillors could be charged for Car Parking.

Started by seaton, March 07, 2019, 03: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffh

Quote from: seaton on March 07, 2019, 03: AM
It will be interesting too see how they vote on this one, they are always promoting the use of Public Transport.
https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/politics/council-to-look-at-bringing-in-car-parking-charges-for-councillors-at-hartlepool-civic-centre-1-9633591

They must really be panicking how - the car parking charging issue was brought up by Paul Thompson a few years ago and was voted down - let's see if this gets any further.

The other thing mentioned in the article was Ward Budgets, currently at £66,000/annum, to be scrapped - which is less than the £79,000/annum pay rise they awarded themselves - we were told at the time we could afford it!

Let's not forget we are getting 3 more councillors next year at a cost of £23,000/annum.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: seaton on March 07, 2019, 03: AM
It will be interesting too see how they vote on this one, they are always promoting the use of Public Transport.
https://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/politics/council-to-look-at-bringing-in-car-parking-charges-for-councillors-at-hartlepool-civic-centre-1-9633591
This is a prime example of their badly joined up thought process regarding public transport. They build Tumbleweed Junction without consulting the bus companies (the experts) and lo and behold the bus companies ignore it because nobody actually uses it. It was the first vanity project that got so reduced in size it became a car park with a few bus shelters in a concealed location, so not very inviting to use.
This is where their skewed thinking became farcical. The then scrap the bus subsidies and remove a vital service from what one could assume is their core vote, then talk of cuts being the cause. Funny, but other Labour councils in the area weren't in such a rush. I wonder why the rush?
So, a badly located 'interchange' with money splashed on it but no buses after tea time who never used it anyway.
A bit like buying a house up the Fens and renting a lock up garage on the Headland to park your car in.
Then we wonder why car use age in the town increases. I suspect no public transport after tea time is a contributing factor.
Utterly, utterly clueless.
As for the allowances, why? If they want to go around giving freely of their largesse and philanthropy, do it with their own money. Why should we subsidise them playing Lord of the Manor to their flock.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Johnny Bongo

Let's not forget that it's nearly May and by- elections time!  If the car parking charges and the ward allowances cuts get voted in, then Labour will no doubt milk the publicity for all it's worth.  Let's just hope that they lose many seats in May!

fred c

The real surprise to me is that these 2 motions have been put forward now, given past SCABAL policy they would have waited untill next year and used it as an 'Election Incentive' for themselves, either way it's definitely a sign that the LabMob are worried about public opinion......

Topcat

If essential hospital staff have to pay to park at work to carry out their duties I see no reason for councillors to be able to park for free.to carry out theirs.

Owen Jones

They will be charging teachers next park in the school carpark!!

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Owen Jones on March 07, 2019, 07: PM
They will be charging teachers next park in the school carpark!!

Erm ... ?

notenoughsaid

To me it all seems to be a "smoke and mirrors "affair.    It will  interesting to see who is the first to claim such  charges via their expenses claims. Watch this space !!!

jeffh

Quote from: notenoughsaid on March 08, 2019, 01: PM
  To me it all seems to be a "smoke and mirrors "affair.    It will  interesting to see who is the first to claim such  charges via their expenses claims. Watch this space !!!
I believe that part of the last allowance increase they are no longer allowed to claim expenses - but as you said watch this space