Hartlepool Mail

Started by marky, March 31, 2012, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Dictator

Last time i checked Johnston press were £478m in debt.

Shepherd

That's a lot of debt to carry in a shrinking business?

Anyone know what the circulation of the Mail was at its peak. I think I remember seeing a circulation of 18,000 per day about 10 years ago???

The Great Dictator

I think it was less than that..

rabbit

The Johnston Press results date has been changed to 25 April.

As mentioned above, a change to a weekly paper version cannot be ruled out as there is talk of concentrating more upon on-line versions.

see http://paidcontent.co.uk/article/419-keep-calm-carry-on-and-dont-charge-for-news-johnstons-highfield-says/

quote "“We’re going to flip the model from newspaper-first every day to digital-first, and you take the best and produce a bumper weekly in print. By 2020, that will be the model. We’ve run the numbers and think that can be a profitable model.”

Lord Elpus

Quote from: Shepherd on April 01, 2012, 03: PM
That's a lot of debt to carry in a shrinking business?

Anyone know what the circulation of the Mail was at its peak. I think I remember seeing a circulation of 18,000 per day about 10 years ago???

I certain when Harry Blackwood was the Editor circulation was around 22,000

Shepherd

Mr Carpetbagger did for Harry B, about 8 years ago???

22k to 14k, 1000 a year.

That's some tail off in readership, if the facts are correct?

Shepherd

21st March 2007 was the day Harry was sacked:-

The below is a quote hold the Front Page 25th June 2007.

The political row blew up when the Mail was accused of giving preferential treatment to a man in a monkey costume during the elections for a Hartlepool mayor – the monkey eventually defeating the Labour candidate.

The vote saw Hartlepool United mascot Stuart Drummond swept to power ahead of hot Labour favourite Leo Gillen – and as soon as a monkey had been declared the first elected mayor, the Hartlepool Mail was blamed for the main political parties' electoral demise.

Lucy Lass-Tick

I've also noticed that the Mail doesn't seem to want uncensored comments on 99% of the online articles (sports excepted), only allowing opinions via themselves. This seems to be a local policy, as the Sunderland Echo belongs to the same publishing group and does not appear to be as restricted.

Shepherd

Given whats going on in the town and the posts on here, that's probably solid thinking on their part ;)