Hartlepool on TV ... Again

Started by Lucy Lass-Tick, February 13, 2019, 11: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy Lass-Tick

The programme's due to be broadcast tonight at nine on C4. Despite the Radio Times choosing it as one of their daily choices, this Sky News write up isn't exactly flattering.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/im-forced-to-catch-rabbits-just-to-eat-reality-of-life-on-universal-credit/ar-BBTuAJZ?ocid=spartandhp

Owen Jones

I know the family in the programme well,they all find money for cigarettes  I have no sympathy for them    Nathan and his girlfriend are young and should be able to work

Lucy Lass-Tick

And ????  Who are you or I to judge?

Land Phil

They should be able to work but are they too far removed from that part of society to do so.

If they lived on a nice street surrounded by clean living working class people they would have aspired to be the same.

Just how far they have been let down by society and how much is down to themselves is probably a grey area.

I have worked in some posh and not so posh areas.
In the posh area I noticed the school kids all rushed out at lunch and bought healthy sandwiches and fruit. It would have stood out a mile if any had gone to Greggs.
The opposite in the poor areas.
Not changed since my time when it was out to the chippy or a pie from the butchers.

How plants grow depends on what soil they are put in.

Inspector Knacker

As a child where we lived none of us had much of anything, we lived on a council estate but apart from one who has never worked since leaving school, all made a good life for themselves. I know some of the kids had crap upbringings but all wanted better for themselves despite useless parents, yet despite their poor parenting, succeeded. We can't keep excusing some people for a lack of motivation.
We tend to forget most people in this town have a good life and think the entire town is one big social ghetto, it isn't.
It's a normal town with pockets of social deprivation, like most towns across the country.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Mr H

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on February 14, 2019, 06: AM
We tend to forget most people in this town have a good life and think the entire town is one big social ghetto, it isn't.
It's a normal town with pockets of social deprivation, like most towns across the country.

That's possibly the most sensible thing posted on this site in a long time  :)

fred c

Quote from: Mr H on February 14, 2019, 11: AM

That's possibly the most sensible thing posted on this site in a long time  :)

In your opinion........ in my opinion your comment is bollox

Inspector Knacker

fred c

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on February 14, 2019, 03: PM
I stand by my comments.

Apologies IK.....I totally agree with your comment.... My comment was aimed the comment by Mr H

"That's possibly the most sensible thing posted on this site in a long time"  :)

Quite how sensible and the length of time he means by his statement is in my opinion total Bollox

John dory

Just say it as it is fred don't beat about the bush ;D ;D ;D

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: fred c on February 14, 2019, 06: PM
Quote from: Inspector Knacker on February 14, 2019, 03: PM
I stand by my comments.

Apologies IK.....I totally agree with your comment.... My comment was aimed the comment by Mr H

"That's possibly the most sensible thing posted on this site in a long time"  :)

Quite how sensible and the length of time he means by his statement is in my opinion total Bollox
I must admit, I was a bit puzzled. ;D

fred c

Quote from: John dory on February 14, 2019, 06: PM
Just say it as it is fred don't beat about the bush ;D ;D ;D

I always strive to be diplomatic.....  ::)

mk1

No. It has a lot more 'deprivation' than the average. This is not something new. West Hartlepool was a boom town 1860s-1890s but was in decline by the 1920s. High unemployment has been a staple for not far short of 100 years.
That is why it is dishonest for politicians and their  enablers to suggest that they have  instant  solutions to our problems. If nothing happened when we had the PMs right-hand man representing us then the likes of Wright/Hill have no chance. Even if their was a solution it will take a generation to start turning things around. That is is not  defeatism but just facing up to the magnitude of the problem.
Even if every vacancy in the town was filled we would still be left with higher  than average unemployment. All the carping about scroungers is pointless. There will never be enough local  jobs for the population of Hartlepool because we have more people that the town can support. The best solution would have been to let the town shrink when the boom changed to bust but that ship (managed decline) has long sailed so we are left with managing the problem rather than solving it.

Inspector Knacker

That may well be the case...possibly, but we can't just carry on accepting that state of affairs. As a town we are politically stagnant. The same tired Party has bumbled along since the 1960's and we've went from bumbling to stumbling under the present shower. I don't even have a problem with the Labour Party as such, it's those educated beyond their own comprehension holding us back now.
The problems you highlight are prevalent throughout the North East but some people are prepared to tackle them, we are in the grip of Parish Pump hacks who are just swanning along.
Oscar Wilde said 'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars', maybe that's my problem, but I'll carry on looking up.

kevplumb

If they lived on a nice street surrounded by clean living working class people they would have aspired to be the same.

my ass all the likes of them do is try to bring the street down to their level
i live in a street like that  do you ???
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment