Stockton Street turmoil?

Started by Inspector Knacker, February 09, 2019, 07: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

Work starts on the latest process of digging up and remodelling at the end of February for several months.
There's going to be a remodelling of the Junction at the top of Church Street and Marina Way with some slip roads being removed.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

mk1

The sign says there will be disruption for 26 weeks. If my memory is still ok then that is a bit longer than they took to build that section in 1970!

pieface

Quote from: mk1 on February 09, 2019, 08: AM
The sign says there will be disruption for 26 weeks. If my memory is still ok then that is a bit longer than they took to build that section in 1970!

It's bound to be more than 26 weeks of disruption given the same contractor as church street and other council highway facelifts/improvements.
When it is finished, removing the church road sliproad is pretty clueless I think as the tailbacks to the marina at busy times will be dangerously overflowing onto the asda roundabout. But then again traffic department has a plentiful supply of yellow paint to solve all the problems..

Lucy Lass-Tick

I noticed that there's a section of railings missing opposite Asda. Surely they aren't going to put a right turn into Maritime Way from the northbound section of Marina Way?

jeffh

Quote from: pieface on February 09, 2019, 09: AM
Quote from: mk1 on February 09, 2019, 08: AM

It's bound to be more than 26 weeks of disruption given the same contractor as church street and other council highway facelifts/improvements.
When it is finished, removing the church road sliproad is pretty clueless I think as the tailbacks to the marina at busy times will be dangerously overflowing onto the asda roundabout. But then again traffic department has a plentiful supply of yellow paint to solve all the problems..
That may be unfinished worked from when they moved the boat from the Docks to the Historic Quay, but there again why not totally snarl up ASDA roundabout?

Inspector Knacker

The Morrisons slip road is being closed off too. It was only put in to ease congestion, so has the congestion disappeared? Apparently the slip roads are a pedestrian hazard, but they've only been there 20 years and I don't recall any incidents.
It's Church Street/Church Square Syndrome running rampant again whereby you take something apart that didn't need to be taken apart, throw money at it and it ends up worse.
Have they ever considered investing the money to create employment instead of splashing it on pointless trivia.
We need jobs not arty farty expensive 'destination' crash barriers, they bring nothing. It really is pitiful

Gustaf I of England + BWH

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on February 09, 2019, 02: PM
The Morrisons slip road is being closed off too. It was only put in to ease congestion, so has the congestion disappeared? Apparently the slip roads are a pedestrian hazard, but they've only been there 20 years and I don't recall any incidents.
It's Church Street/Church Square Syndrome running rampant again whereby you take something apart that didn't need to be taken apart, throw money at it and it ends up worse.
Have they ever considered investing the money to create employment instead of splashing it on pointless trivia.
We need jobs not arty farty expensive 'destination' crash barriers, they bring nothing. It really is pitiful

The slip roads at this junction are traffic light controlled and as such are no more of a pedestrian hazard than are the main carriageways. If the imbeciles are really concerned about pedestrian safety, perhaps we should just close off all roads into the town. Then visitors would know that they have 'arrived' at Hrtlpool when their vehicle collides with the brick wall built across all points of access to the town.

Heknocks68

The answer to all traffic related issues! Build more houses with typically two or more vehicles per household and that is before the millions of visitors descend onto the North East tourist hotspot.

Inspector Knacker

And after months of totally unnecessary upheaval, then what?
All that's really needed is the crash barriers replacing which are in a rough state but who let the, get in tha5 state in the first place. The barriers should be standard barriers not more expensive designer flight of fancy barriers. The Great Wall of Hartlepool in Stockton Street was put in place to stop pedestrians cutting across the dual carriageway to the college, a coat of paint and block paving the chronically neglected shrubbery (which has been a disgrace for years) would solve the problem. The junction remodelling is unnecessary and will lead to congestion and tailbacks.
Church Street looks depressing and Church Square  looks no different whatsoever.
While the other authorities in Tess Valley are investing their money in ventures that will lead to better employment prospects our smaller share is being squandered on beautification projects of no real consequence or benefit.
I suspect they haven't got a clue, a vision or the faintest idea to really do to  make a difference to Hartlepool and their limited imagination has come up with re doing what's already been done, ripping it up and doing it worse. That's how severely limited their vision is.
Can anyone show me where new Bonny barriers attracted new investors and jobs? They're living in their own little fantasy echo chamber and we'll all pay the price eventually.

mk1

Quote from: Gustaf I of England + BWH on February 09, 2019, 02: PM

The slip roads at this junction are traffic light controlled and as such are no more of a pedestrian hazard than are the main carriageways.
The  Clarence Road exit is a very dangerous crossing for any pedestrian. The majority of cars carry on across the bridge but there are some that  divert to Clarence Road. Thing is they are coming of the  main road and are normally going pretty fast and it is impossible to know which cars will peel off because they do not 'split' until they are very close to the crossing. You will have 1 or 2 seconds to realise you are in danger before any speeding car reaches you. Motorists are always in a hurry and we all know how vital it is to get to your destination  5 seconds faster than the last time you did it.
Before anyone tells me  the lights and barriers make this a safe crossing I suggest you go and count all the crushes and dents in the barriers from all  the cars than corner too fast and fail to  make it through safely. Any pedestrian coming from the town centre has to cross 4 lanes and use 4 sets of lights so it is very badly designed and I would say no thought whatsoever was  put into anything other than saving the motorist their precious 5 seconds and bugger everyone else.

Inspector Knacker

Use it regularly and the problem occurs if you decide to chance it and fail to use the green man. The 5 seconds rule applies equally to can't be bothered to wait in a rush/ not looking pedestrians who are prepared to chance it.

mk1

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on February 10, 2019, 04: PM
Use it regularly and the problem occurs if you decide to chance it and fail to use the green man. The 5 seconds rule applies equally to can't be bothered to wait in a rush/ not looking pedestrians who are prepared to chance it.

Yes pedestrians must be prepared to push 4 buttons and wait 4 times before they cross to the Marina. Like I said very badly designed for a pedestrian but it ensures cars don't collide. Its all a question of priorities.

Inspector Knacker

It's a compromise. But I'd rather have to push the button for the crossing than chance it. This situation has existed for 20 years and I don't recall any major incidents there.
With the closing off of the slip roads traffic congestion at peak times will be even worse and cars aren't going to disappear.
Maybe if our learned Councillors weren't so quick to slash bus subsidies long before other North East Councils people wouldn't be needing cars. Why did they do it as it badly affected the most vulnerable who their Party is supposed to fight for?
I bought a car to get to work when Stagecoach took over because services where chopping and changing all the time as well as incessant fare increases. They created a business instead of a service. We reap the outcome some time down the line.

jeffh

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on February 10, 2019, 07: PM
It's a compromise. But I'd rather have to push the button for the crossing than chance it. This situation has existed for 20 years and I don't recall any major incidents there.
With the closing off of the slip roads traffic congestion at peak times will be even worse and cars aren't going to disappear.
Maybe if our learned Councillors weren't so quick to slash bus subsidies long before other North East Councils people wouldn't be needing cars. Why did they do it as it badly affected the most vulnerable who their Party is supposed to fight for?
I bought a car to get to work when Stagecoach took over because services where chopping and changing all the time as well as incessant fare increases. They created a business instead of a service. We reap the outcome some time down the line.

Bus Operators have always been businesses whilst councils provided a subsidised service.  If a council chooses to sell out to Stagecoach, but with the promise of subsidies, don't be surprised what happens when they then withdraw the subsidies.  Having said that the council did go on to provide us with a Bus Station, albeit in the wrong place, and build disabled access bus-stops on discontinued routes.

mk1

Quote from: jeffh on February 10, 2019, 07: PM

If a council chooses to sell out to Stagecoach, but with the promise of subsidies, don't be surprised what happens when they then withdraw the subsidies.

It was 'the brothers' who sold the busses to Stagecoach. The drivers are the ones who 'sold us out'.  30 pieces of silver and all that..........