The Rifty..... Rift House Community Asc

Started by fred c, February 02, 2019, 09: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred c

Answers from a recent FOI request regarding the Rifty Project  / Rift House Community Asc, My Cafe and Lesleys Sparkles.

It also ties in with the Post about the Jutland Road Community Asc.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/details_of_any_and_all_commercia#incoming-1303591

Dear Fred, please accept our apologies for the delay in responding to your
request, I can advise as follows:-

1) Is the Rifty Project a commercial / business or council run
organisation ?

The Rifty Project, also known as Rift House Community Association, are a
community association

2) If it is a commercial / business company does the council charge
commercial / business and rental rates and if so what are they per annum.

Rift House Community Association is responsible for payment of market
value rent which has been reduced by 75% in line with the Council's policy
on 'Sales and Lettings at Less than Best Consideration' which was agreed
at a meeting of the Council's Finance and Policy Committee on 10th July
2017.  In accordance with national regulations Rift House Community
Association is eligible for 100% Business Rates relief as the Rateable
Value of the space used falls within the eligible Rateable Value limit.   

3) Does My Cafe pay an annual rent to HBC for the space it uses within the
centre, if so what is the annual amount.

No, Rift House Community Association are responsible for paying the rent

4) Is My Cafe responsible for the business rates and utility bills for its
premises ?

Rift House Community Association is responsible for paying bills and
business rates

5) It would appear that another business has started to operate within the
centre, "Lesley's Sparkles" a Nail Bar, if so, does the business person
lay commercial rent and rates and if so to whom.

6) Has the space and facilities used by Lesley's Sparkles been sub let to
the business by another business operator within the centre.

In response to questions (5) and (6) the Council has agreed the use of
this facility by Lesley's Sparkles on a non commercial basis as a
community service.

Land Phil

How is charging for goods and services not a business ?

Load of twoddle from HBC as usual.
The masons are more open and transparent.

fred c

In a previous FOI answer, SAB was listed as a "Business Owner" when I asked about My Cafe...... That raises more questions than I got answers, according to the answers in the above FOI My Cafe gets free rent , rates and utilities.....a tad unfair on the 4 or so food outlets on Catty Road shops, unless HBC are paying there bills as well.

I think most people who use this forum will understand the difficulties when it comes to eliciting any information about councillor run organisations.....Is The Rift House Community Centre / Rifty Project a Charity, is My Cafe a Business or a, Not for profit community centre ?

No one appears to know what it is and no one has any idea about how to find out.......

Inspector Knacker

Reading those replies it appears the centre makes one single rent payment and pays the utility bills, yet has more than one core business as a centre. Does the cafe and the nail bar pay rent and utilities?
Who would decide the level of rent and utility payments within the centre. The centre management or council?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Veritas

Who is "chair" of Neighborhood services? Also who is "chair" of policy and finance?

jawsbbc

Quote from: fred c on February 02, 2019, 07: PM
In a previous FOI answer, SAB was listed as a "Business Owner" when I asked about My Cafe...... That raises more questions than I got answers, according to the answers in the above FOI My Cafe gets free rent , rates and utilities.....a tad unfair on the 4 or so food outlets on Catty Road shops, unless HBC are paying there bills as well.

I think most people who use this forum will understand the difficulties when it comes to eliciting any information about councillor run organisations.....Is The Rift House Community Centre / Rifty Project a Charity, is My Cafe a Business or a, Not for profit community centre ?

No one appears to know what it is and no one has any idea about how to find out.......
AS I HAVE BEEN SAYING FOR WEEKS OFCA WERE ALSO NOT PAYING RENT GAS OR ELECTRIC FOR JUTLAND ROAD COMMUNITY CENTRE  I ALSO TOLD YOU THIS ABOUT THE RIFTY PEOPLE IN THE CIVIC CANNOT KEEP THEIR MOUTHS SHUT THEY ARE AS SICK OF THE TOXIC FEW AS WE ARE  SAB,CAB,CRANNEY,JAMES,

Inspector Knacker

If the subsidiary outlets are paying rent and utilities to the centre is that the centre's money or the Councils money as I assume they own the building?

Inspector Knacker

Who is the managing body/committee who runs this building?

If only one rent is paid to the Council do the Centre retain any rents/utility charges (if charged) paid to them?

In regards to utility charges, is there three different metering systems to identify power usage for the individual outlets?

fred c

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on February 05, 2019, 07: AM
Who is the managing body/committee who runs this building?

If only one rent is paid to the Council do the Centre retain any rents/utility charges (if charged) paid to them?

In regards to utility charges, is there three different metering systems to identify power usage for the individual outlets?

I never thought to ask if there was a managing committee / board of directors / trustees.

Maybe some can make an FOI request on that point, the answers below seem to indicate the council is paying almost the full cost of the Rift House Community Asc / Rifty / My Cafe / Lesleys Sparkles.

3) Does My Cafe pay an annual rent to HBC for the space it uses within the
centre, if so what is the annual amount.

No, Rift House Community Association are responsible for paying the rent

4) Is My Cafe responsible for the business rates and utility bills for its
premises ?

Rift House Community Association is responsible for paying bills and
business rates

5) It would appear that another business has started to operate within the
centre, "Lesley's Sparkles" a Nail Bar, if so, does the business person
lay commercial rent and rates and if so to whom.

6) Has the space and facilities used by Lesley's Sparkles been sub let to
the business by another business operator within the centre.

In response to questions (5) and (6) the Council has agreed the use of
this facility by Lesley's Sparkles on a non commercial basis as a
community service.

diSme

Lesley's Sparkles openly calls itself a small business on it's FB page. How that can be considered a non-commercial community service is beyond me.
I believe everything and nothing

fred c

In answer to a previous FOI question about My Cafe, S Akers Belcher was listed as....The Business Owner.

After the 'Fire'.....He stated on FB that all profits from My Cafe went to the Rifty Project......Not sure how that works........and neither does anyone else.

Heknocks68

Hmmm, somewhere, sometime, feel like been here or somewhere near before. Unless such personell are removed, retired or dispensed with, we are laiden with that, that hath been bestoweth uponeth. Appears all potential of a level playing field relating to the democratic voting system has been removed by the upright dishonesty of the devious self opinionated egotistical untrustworthy individuals that are guilty of more rigging than the RNM could ever muster. To that end, democracy is floored, more so, than the CIL...Toxic beyond Toxicity. From the apex to the entrails within the sewer. A bill to be paid a lifetime and beyond.  By anyone, save those responsible for its perpetual motion. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. In the midst are we.