Tourism Tax

Started by Lucy Lass-Tick, January 12, 2019, 12: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy Lass-Tick

Could this be one of the reasons that HBC's always emphasising the visitors/tourism angle?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46838307

Inspector Knacker

I wouldn't let them near carpet tacks.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on January 12, 2019, 05: PM
I wouldn't let them near carpet tacks.

Don't mention carpets ... they might find it a touchy subject ...  8)

UnknownUser

Commonplace throughout the States, and Italy, should be adopted throughout the UK
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you, you know your nation is doomed.

Ayn Rand

Inspector Knacker

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on January 12, 2019, 08: PM
Justify it.

Well, those 'visions' need a bit of dosh behind them ... and as for the 'sense of arrival' ...  ::)

Inspector Knacker

I suspect any money raised will soon be redirected to other 'deserving causes'. The original charge will no doubt rise accordingly and be just another form of taxation.
As for their 'sense of arrival' fund, I would be more than willing to pay up for a 'sense of departure' fund for those supposedly in charge.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Put me down for a couple of quid for the latter ...

Inspector Knacker

I'd imagine that  if that 'tax' took off there'd be a wave of them.
Cute puppy dog fund?
Over the rainbow fund?
Unicorn rest home fund?
Pull up a street and replace it with exactly the same fund?
Letting some people loose with a scheme like this would be like giving a petrol tanker to a pyromaniac, disastrous!

pieface

commuters to and from work probably get classed as tourists by HBC using the vehicle counters located on main roads in and out of hartlepool boundaries.

Lucy Lass-Tick

I'm not 100% sure on this, but have a feeling that 'visitors' included those using shops such as Asda. Can anyone confirm this?

mk1

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on January 13, 2019, 06: PM
I'm not 100% sure on this, but have a feeling that 'visitors' included those using shops such as Asda. Can anyone confirm this?

If you are talking about the 'Visitor Numbers' for the Tall Ships then yes it counted everyone who visited the town/Marina including those who just came to shop at ASDA etc. .

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: mk1 on January 13, 2019, 07: PM
Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on January 13, 2019, 06: PM

If you are talking about the 'Visitor Numbers' for the Tall Ships then yes it counted everyone who visited the town/Marina including those who just came to shop at ASDA etc. .

Thanks MK1.

mk1

One of the earlier 'Visions' that fell flat on its ar*se

From 2014:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:2hok2uE8URQJ:https:%2F%2Fwww.hartlepoolmail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fbusiness%2Flondon-firm-to-make-big-investment-into-new-look-hartlepool-retail-park-1-6625482%20&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

M Seven asset manager, Stewart Smith, said: "We attended the launch of the Hartlepool Vision in January and were very impressed by what we heard, so we had no hesitation in committing to this investment in the Highlight Retail Park. "The Highlight Retail Park will be transformed, creating one of the best shopping experiences in Hartlepool. It reflects our confidence in the Vision and in the exciting future of the town." Hartlepool Council leader, Coun Christopher Akers-Belcher, said: "I am delighted to welcome M Seven to Hartlepool – it's a clear example that the Hartlepool Vision is already starting to happen. "Hartlepool is very much open for business and we look forward to working with residents, businesses and landowners to make our bold aspirations for Hartlepool a reality."

The vision v the 2018 reality

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: mk1 on January 13, 2019, 08: PM
One of the earlier 'Visions' that fell flat on its ar*se

From 2014:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:2hok2uE8URQJ:https:%2F%2Fwww.hartlepoolmail.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fbusiness%2Flondon-firm-to-make-big-investment-into-new-look-hartlepool-retail-park-1-6625482%20&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

M Seven asset manager, Stewart Smith, said: "We attended the launch of the Hartlepool Vision in January and were very impressed by what we heard, so we had no hesitation in committing to this investment in the Highlight Retail Park. "The Highlight Retail Park will be transformed, creating one of the best shopping experiences in Hartlepool. It reflects our confidence in the Vision and in the exciting future of the town." Hartlepool Council leader, Coun Christopher Akers-Belcher, said: "I am delighted to welcome M Seven to Hartlepool – it's a clear example that the Hartlepool Vision is already starting to happen. "Hartlepool is very much open for business and we look forward to working with residents, businesses and landowners to make our bold aspirations for Hartlepool a reality."

The vision v the 2018 reality

Fell flat? And how!