"Trusted Local Journalism"

Started by diSme, December 22, 2018, 04: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diSme

I believe everything and nothing

Johnny Bongo

There's nothing like a good laugh at Christmas...and this indeed was one!
Here's my favourite quotes from Joy Yates in this piece.

''So if we are to continue to deliver the exceptional, trusted local journalism......''
Exceptional....certainly is! ::)  Trusted...yeh, trusted by HBC to write what they're told!  Local....yeh, how far is Sheffield again?

In an era of 'fake news', social media trolling, and unsubstantiated rumour that abounds on unregulated websites, your local newspaper remains the most trusted and authoritative source of information and comment.
So who do you suppose they are referring to? :-\  A free Mail if you get the correct answer!

But those professional standards which range from the extensive training we provide our journalists to enable them to cover courts and council meetings - content that our readers have a right to know about 
What courts are they referring to?  Obviously not the one in Hartlepool!  As for Council meetings and readers having a right to know, has the Mail ever done a damning report on any Labour councillors or asked any pertinent questions?  Maybe if they did some decent reporting, their readership and sales of the paper might increase, instead of them on the verge of closing! 
Finally, as for people buying one copy of the Mail a week, toilet roll is cheaper and softer!

Lucy Lass-Tick

Glad they think they're doing such a sterling job. A curious fusion of self-justification and delusion.

Johnny Bongo

I might give Hartlepool Water a ring on Monday and ask them to check the pipes to the Civic and the Mail office, as there's obviously some hallucinogenic drug seeping into the water supply.
Either that or the pot plants need checking in certain offices! ;)

DRiddle

I've always had a reasonable relationship with The Mails journalists during my time on the council. However, I do know with absolute certainty that a lot of their political stories over recent years have been basically follow ups from information which first surfaced on the post, its forum or other local social media platforms.

Carpetgate, Jackson's Landing on e-bay, the town plan being scrapped, CABs sacking and holiday to Mexico, Cranney and the Granny, plus numerous other incidents can clearly evidence that. All were on the post and/or other local social media platforms long before the mail got a sniff.

Most people know the situation with the parent company of the mail as well as the way advertising has moved to very specific social media targeting via algorithms.

I can't see much being gained by the barbed comments from Ms Yates.

Just my view.

fred c

To my mind the Mail has caused as much damage to Hartlepool as The LabTor Mob.

diSme

Quote from: fred c on December 22, 2018, 10: PM
To my mind the Mail has caused as much damage to Hartlepool as The LabTor Mob.

I would absolutely agree.

The Mail as an organisation would seem to be complicit regarding the underhanded dealings of local governance, despite feeble attempts at appearing not to be.
I believe everything and nothing

Inspector Knacker

What 'local' journalism? I always get the distinct impression there's no meaningful 'local' input and a bland/vague grasp of local affairs. The Mail as we knew it rode out of town years ago.
It's full of trivia and tedious chit chat and the repetitive inane self promoting ramblings of local political nonentities and our Last of the Summer Wine MP.
During the war they dropped bundles of propaganda leaflets from aircraft over 'enemy territory', we get roughly the same effect but we're expected to be paid for it and be grateful.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Land Phil

The Mail has been dead for years and it is about time it was buried as it smells.

I can recall the years when the Mail was great, not so much Hartlepool Labour.
I might be old but obviously not old enough for that.

grim reaper

Oh dear, oh dear. A 'Joanie Crump' has written to the Mail, blaming Tory govt. for 'cuts', as the reason for the rate rises.
Joanie dear, instead of reading the Hartlepool equivalent of Pravda, have a read of the Hartlepool Post instead.
Better still, go through the 'back copies' of the Post and find out why we are REALLY hit with rise after rise, in this town.
I suppose the Labour councillor that spent time at her Majesty's pleasure and the VAST amount of money stolen had nothing to do with the council's present predicament.

What about the millions spent on CICs, most of which have since closed down. Could THAT have anything to do with our financial meltdown?

What about the hundreds of thousands spent setting up the cafe in the crem...and the thousands propping up the ailing concern. Doesn't that enter into the financial equation?

Remember the 'tin shed' Joanie? We borrowed millions for that and then had to pay to have it pulled down. 

The 'Ships' debacle and the c**k ups and lies over revenues and visitors.
Are you seeing the bigger picture yet, Joanie?

We had a total labour organisation in this country from 1997, until 2010.
Labour in government, the Prince of darkness as our MP, Labour running the council and the Prime Minister in Sedgefield.

THOSE were the years that Hartlepool ought to have blossomed. Those were the years when, according to Joanie's thinking, Hartlepool would become the Garden of Eden, a utopia.

Thirteen years is a long time and what did Labour, both Nationally and locally do for Hartlepool? Nowt. Zilch. Nada. F.A.
The Tories meanwhile, brought Caterpillar, Hitachi, Nissan, our Marina, Stockton's 'marina', etc. etc. Thousands of jobs for local people and all the Labourites can whinge about is 'they shut the pits, they shut the shipyards'.
No, they didn't. H. Wilson closed more mines than the Tories..check it out Joanie.

People/businesses vote with their feet, that's why we have deserted M & S, Morrison's, Asda etc. and gone over to Aldi & Lidl. You go where you get value for money.
People do that and big business (like ship owners etc) do exactly the same.
Why order a £100 million ship from the North-East when South Korea will build it for £75 million?
Labour are content to sit on the sidelines and snipe for evermore at our losses, the Tories have actually gone out and brought in new jobs.
By the way, I'm not saying they are perfect (the Brexit negotiations show that), but they, to my mind, are better than the constant living in the past attitude of Labour.

In this town of ours, the money has been there, it has simply been/is being, misappropriated.
By the way, unlike Labourite Joanie, I am NOT a 'died in the wool Tory'.
I voted for Bliar in 1997 and gradually realised I was mistaken. Where politicians are concerned, I keep an open mind.
You ought to try that, Joanie. It is called, progress.
A very Merry Xmas to the backroom boys and girls of the Post and to all of the contributors.

The Great Dictator

Joanie Crump, am i missing something ?

Eddie Potcake

Joy claims the "subsidy we receive from advertising is decreasing in a digital age" then goes on to say the "growing online audienece" is "great news for advertisers". What? Online can't be that great if advertising revenue is decreasing. Another example of great journalism.

The day they scrapped the press at the Mail was the first nail in the publication's coffin. Now there is no presence in the town. How can a media outlet whose content is shared with two other titles at Sunderland and South Shields, uploaded online at Rainton Bridge Business Park, with a print version printed at whichever press company in the north of England is cheapest, be classed as "local".

Trusted journalism? Dear Maggie O'Rouke must be pissing her pants laughing at the Causeway pub in Heaven.

Inspector Knacker

The Mail is just a name now. It's gone.
An echo chamber took it's place.
I wonder, is Joy a hologram?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.