Male life expectancy fall in Hartlepool biggest in UK

Started by DRiddle, December 13, 2018, 11: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRiddle

Johnny Bongo

So, what can we blame this on...as there's always someone wanting to blame someone / something else, mainly for political point scoring.  The Tory Government?  Austerity?  Takeaways / unhealthy lifestyles?  The list is endless, depending on different points of view.  What will be our MP's view?  Will HBC invent  another project to reverse the fall?
Having just walked through Stranton cemetery, one thing's for certain......and we all know what that is!

Lucy Lass-Tick

Once upon a time industrial disease and injuries could have skewed the statistics, but since there's not a lot of this left in Hartlepool (particularly true as regards heavy industry) then wonder just what's behind this now? Is it people's lifestyle choices, is it a shortage of medical facilities .... or is it just a lack of hope?

Topcat

There are lies then there are damned lies and then there are statistics.Statistics can be blamed or hailed for anything you want them to be depending on how you manipulate them,that is why I never set much faith in them.

The Great Dictator

Is it because so many live on Pizza, chips, drink too much, smoke too much, don't exercise and do drugs ????

Just an observation.

jawsbbc

Quote from: The Great Dictator on December 13, 2018, 01: PM

Is it because so many live on Pizza, chips, drink too much, smoke too much, don't exercise and do drugs ????

Just an observation.
could be, i remember cranney on the news and  in the papers on about obesity life spans ect ect a couple of years ago its our labour council that passes all the planning for the pizza fast food shops is it not  ;)

Land Phil

Maybe people are over exerting themselves at all the new healthy exercise places ?

Gustaf I of England + BWH

Quote from: DRiddle on December 13, 2018, 11: AM
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/17293607.life-expectancy-in-hartlepool-falls/

I haven't seen anything from heathwatch on this. Someone will probably make a powerpoint.

'Heathwatch' - isn't that one of those wildlife programs of the tele. ?

In answer to Johnny Bongo, it has to 'government cuts' surely. Everything else is.

Or there again, it could be part of a cunning plan. Think about it. Pension age is going relentlessly up, life expectancy is coming down. Sooner or later the two are going to meet in the middle, ergo - no more pension crisis - job sorted, next problem please.

diSme

Quote from: Topcat on December 13, 2018, 12: PM
There are lies then there are damned lies and then there are statistics.Statistics can be blamed or hailed for anything you want them to be depending on how you manipulate them,that is why I never set much faith in them.

I absolutely agree with this...

Statistics are just a tool of manipulation
I believe everything and nothing

kevplumb

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on December 13, 2018, 12: PM
Once upon a time industrial disease and injuries could have skewed the statistics, but since there's not a lot of this left in Hartlepool (particularly true as regards heavy industry) then wonder just what's behind this now? Is it people's lifestyle choices, is it a shortage of medical facilities .... or is it just a lack of hope?
there are still plenty of us about with industrial disease as a result of heavy industrywe just haven't fell off our perches yet  ;)
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

Inspector Knacker

Legacy problems such as industrial illness are a long term problem which will eventually decrease with the disappearance of heavy industry. Smoking and drink plus the advent of fast food and the increase in substance abuse will cause a rise in mortality. As a town we are inundated with fast food outlets and the number of school kids and students who seem to survive on a lunchtime diet of pizzas is worrying.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Land Phil

Talking of statistics, footage from outside the civic centre was used to highlight the North East story on Look North informing us of sky high referrals to hospital for obesity related problems in our area.

mr ben

smoking crack cocaine  and doing  heroin  is at epidemic proportion in this town ... death rates have gone up because of it ...   

Inspector Knacker

There's plenty of haggard, shuffling, gaunt, staring eyed figures to support that line of thought.
And they want to legalise drugs?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on December 15, 2018, 08: AM
There's plenty of haggard, shuffling, gaunt, staring eyed figures ...

Oh, you must have been to a council meeting, then?  ::)