Mail's future even more in doubt?

Started by Lucy Lass-Tick, November 16, 2018, 10: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disgruntled voter

Maybe if the mail tried some investigative  journalism it would see the number of readers increase ?!

kevplumb

according to BBC tees they have gone into administrative receivership
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

Lucy Lass-Tick

The way the circulation's been shrinking, suspect its days are numbered - even with another organisation stepping in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46243622

Johnny Bongo

Another business/ organisation/ political party/ etc, that thought the British people are stupid!  If you lie down with dogs, you'll get fleas...as the saying goes!  The Mail have never done anything resembling journalism (never mind Investigative Journalism) for decades....then they made it patently obvious that they were in bed with HBC/ HCLP....and that was the beginning of the end for them, as far as Hartlepool goes!  I remember as a teenager with a paper round (Freddy Lumsdens, Oxford road) that when there was a 'major' story (or a hiccup!) the papers didn't arrive at the newsagents till approx 4.30.  Plus, IT WAS THAT DAYS NEWS....NOT YESTERDAYS).  Karma is a wonderful thing, isn't it!

Inspector Knacker

The Mail was an institution, now it looks like it'll end up in an intitution.
It's went from local newspaper to a big fat lazy Bagpuss. It patently is no longer a local paper, padding itself out with adverts, waffle features, blather from the political half wits/ windbags and cute features about the obscure or banal.
The local element has long gone, they show an ignorance of the town, which is obvious as most of their reporters are based out of town witheir 0191 phone numbers, their physical presence is no longer here.
Their Uriah Heep subservience to our local political nonentities is cringe inducing.
A once popular letters page full of national charity letters and local poets.
But theirs always the new kid on the block that apparently only does good news, no politics or crime.
Dear oh dear.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

mk1

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on November 18, 2018, 05: AM

But theirs always the new kid on the block that apparently only does good news, no politics or crime.

Hartlepool Life was a blessing for me. I use a lot of paper and  used to get the free paper (Metro?) you get on the out-of-town busses by the handful. Once Hartlepool Life came along I could just pop into ASDA and take 20-40 at a time. However I have noticed a drastic cut in the number of papers available. They seem to have slashed the print run.

Inspector Knacker

I'm building a life size model of the QE2 in papier mache, it's been  a boon to me. If they could impregnate it with wallpaper paste it would be a double win.

Disgruntled voter

I like to read Hartlepool life and imagine I'm a character  in the 'Truman Show'

Lucy Lass-Tick

Understand that Look North's list of titles to continue didn't include the Mail.

Inspector Knacker

The Mail as we knew it died a long time ago. It was nibbled away to what is basically a hollow shell and that 'shell' is starting to crumble.
From being printed and produced in Hartlepool, it ended up becoming a shipped in out of touch irrelevance. Maybe if we'd had a local paper that scrutinised local power we wouldn't be lumbered with the dross we have in charge.
Such a shame. .