Local Labour Party members tighten the noose on Christopher Akers-Belcher

Started by DRiddle, November 10, 2018, 09: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

While  I would be happy to to see the back of both of them, I have  concerns of who would be  next  in line - while i was in the fantasy factory  I would not of rated any of them  or could we be back to an elected mayor.

fred c

A council made up of Independent councillors with an elected Ceremonial Mayor would be my choice......We have had a Labour Mayor / Council Chairman for years now and 2 of them proved to be blatant liars.....And..... None of the Labour or Tory councillors cried squeak about them.

Owen Jones

Welcome back Mr Brash all is forgiven  will you please be our new leader !!!

DRiddle

Just in the name of 'openness and transparency' (lol) here is one of several versions of the letter which has reportedly gone out the constituency Labour Party members across Hartlepool. My understanding is there may be several slightly different versions due to each wards branch secretary possibly having a slightly different take on the text.

Essentially, it reads as follows:

QuoteMotion 1 – Compound Motion With regret, Hartlepool Constituency Labour Party resolves that it has no confidence in the current leader of Hartlepool Labour Group and acknowledges the detrimental impact that the current leadership could have on the forthcoming Local Government Elections in May 2019.

The Party Notes:

• A lack of communication and consultation with Hartlepool's electorate and recent constitutional reforms within HBC which have made our council less accessible, less democratic and less accountable to the general public in direct contravention of CLP policy around public questions and the timings of meetings. That in so doing the leadership of the group is falling short of the seven Nolan principles of public life, namely selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership.

• A present and growing disconnect between the views and wishes of Hartlepool's electors and present Labour Group policy which has alienated the electorate; notably through the examples of increases to councillor's allowances and perceived 'vanity' regeneration projects.

• A growing tide of lies and deception regarding the leadership of the Labour Group across the town's social media, enabled by a consistent inability or unwillingness from the present leadership to acknowledge and confront criticism in an effective or meaningful manner.The lack of willing from current Labour Group Leadership to take on or criticise those who are supposed to be our political opponents, creating a widely held public perception of virtual coalition with prominent Conservative and former-UKIP politicians within Hartlepool.

• That despite the National Labour Party (including our own Mike Hill MP) enjoying an increase in popular support over recent years, the people of Hartlepool appear to have lost faith in the local Party leading to the significant decline in electoral support the party has experienced since 2012 .

• That our main opposition have now taken an unprecedented move and begun to specifically 'weaponise' the Leader of the Labour Group to worrying electoral effect as reflected by the feedback of our canvassing teams in recent elections who reported regular and growing public criticism of the present leadership on the doorstep. As a result of the above Hartlepool Constituency Labour party does not believe the current leadership of Hartlepool Labour Group has a sustainable future. The party believes that the time has come for new leadership that can command the respect of Hartlepool residents.

This CLP therefore resolves to formally request the resignation of the current leader of Hartlepool Labour Group and request appropriate action from Labour Group members to ensure that the requested change in leadership is forthcoming. On making this request Hartlepool Constituency Labour Party calls for an end to any negative infighting within the CLP, and asks that our party's General and Executive Committees concentrate on issues of importance for both our town and its people.

Proposed: Burn Valley Branch Labour Party, Hart Branch Labour Party, Headland & Harbour Branch Labour Party , Jesmond Branch Labour Party, Rural West Branch Labour Party, Seaton Branch Labour Party, Victoria Branch Labour Party.

Motion 2 That the Victoria BLP request, as a matter of urgency, that the Officers of Hartlepool Constituency Labour Party confirm that Members of the Hartlepool Labour Group are not involved in community or commercial activities that could (or could be perceived to) bring the Labour Party into disrepute. Proposed: Victoria Branch Labour Party.

My understanding is, this particular version of the letter originates from a branch of the Labour membership from the Northern end of the town, possibly Hart, but either way, it doesn't really matter. The substance of the two motions is the same across the town.

They want him gone and they've spelled out exactly why.

Personally i think they've been kind to him.

DRiddle

Apparently that's not the Hart version of the information. But either way, that's definitely the jist of it.

Inspector Knacker

Some memorable lines in that letter. My particular favourite was ...'A growing tide of lies and deception regarding the leadership of the Labour Group across the towns social media,' or how about That despite the National Labour Party ( including our own Mike Hill MP) enjoying an increase popular  support over recent years or even ...the leadership of the group is falling short of the seven Nolan principles of public life, namely selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, ,honesty and leadership. Dear me.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Johnny Bongo

My take on the 'No confidence' motion is that, basically, the Labour Party in Hartlepool are trying desperately to save their own skin...and the allowances that come with it!   They have total contempt for the citizens of this town, which has been proven by their lack of any action when certain Labour councillors are found to be wanting in moral integrity, shall we say!
Only now, as the Hartlepool public are starting to realise that we are being 'led' by crooks, conmen and charlatans, are the Labour Party being seen to be doing something!  TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE!  Other councillors (Labour) have sat back, nodded their heads and took the money, with not a conscience between them!  They are all complicit and, in my opinion, all deserve to lose their seats!  Plus...what exactly has the Chief Exec, Gil Alexander done to stop Hartlepool being dismantled bit by bit?  NOTHING...that's what!  There should be a motion of no confidence in G. Alexander also. She knows what has happened over the years but has failed to do anything...even covering up for the the idiots on several occasions.  100% complicit also!

mr ben

This is all well and good but lets make sure he go's and  does not get another job that has been made for him in the council  .... id like to say MacDonalds is taking on but i dont think they would have the goon .

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: Bluenose on November 12, 2018, 02: PM
While  I would be happy to to see the back of both of them, I have  concerns of who would be  next  in line - while i was in the fantasy factory  I would not of rated any of them  or could we be back to an elected mayor.
you could replace the lot with paper carrier bags, they couldn't do any worse.

UnknownUser

Quote from: Owen Jones on November 11, 2018, 09: AM
Who do people think will be or should be the next leader?

Somebody who has morals and ethics, somebody who understands what the town needs, somebody who has the town in their best interests, for me that candidate is Dave Hunter.

I can't see PHF or HIG gaining full control, although I can potentially see a council with NOC.

Whenever the time comes that a new leader of the council is put in place regardless of political persuasion, the replacement should have fiscal experience, management experience, and hopefully a proven track record in business.

Does anybody fit the bill? 
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you, you know your nation is doomed.

Ayn Rand

Disgruntled voter

What about that Kevin bloke from up the manor ? He has lots of business experience

Lucy Lass-Tick

Inspector Knacker

They'll do what's best for the Party's image.
Trouble is they all stood like bystanders and allowed a pantomime act take control of things, then to compound it nodded in meek agreement. I'd have trouble voting for anyone who was willing to serve under that lot.
A massive cull is needed, end of.

kevplumb

Quote from: Johnny Bongo on November 12, 2018, 09: PM
My take on the 'No confidence' motion is that, basically, the Labour Party in Hartlepool are trying desperately to save their own skin...and the allowances that come with it!   They have total contempt for the citizens of this town, which has been proven by their lack of any action when certain Labour councillors are found to be wanting in moral integrity, shall we say!
Only now, as the Hartlepool public are starting to realise that we are being 'led' by crooks, conmen and charlatans, are the Labour Party being seen to be doing something!  TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE!  Other councillors (Labour) have sat back, nodded their heads and took the money, with not a conscience between them!  They are all complicit and, in my opinion, all deserve to lose their seats!  Plus...what exactly has the Chief Exec, Gil Alexander done to stop Hartlepool being dismantled bit by bit?  NOTHING...that's what!  There should be a motion of no confidence in G. Alexander also. She knows what has happened over the years but has failed to do anything...even covering up for the idiots on several occasions.  100% complicit also!

just about sums up my feelings on the matter
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment