Local Labour Party members tighten the noose on Christopher Akers-Belcher

Started by DRiddle, November 10, 2018, 09: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRiddle

In a dramatic development, it looks like the Hartlepool Constituency Labour Party has finally decided to publicly make their move to remove the calamitous Christopher Akers-Belcher from his position as leader of Hartlepool Council.

I can reveal that correspondence circulated to local Labour Party members, informs them about a meeting scheduled to take place in a weeks' time.

On the agenda for the meeting is a two part compound motion.

The first part of the motion reads as follows:
"With regret, Hartlepool Constituency Labour Party resolves that it has no confidence in the current leader of the Labour group and acknowledges the detrimental impact the current leadership could have on the forthcoming local elections in May 2019".

Clearly, in five years of his 'leadership', this is the most overt attempt to remove him and it's coming from within his own party. And let's be honest, who can blame them?
Among other things, Christopher Akers-Belcher's 'leadership' has sailed the 'good ship Labour' through the following watershed moments.

-   The removal of the town plan and unprecedented planning approvals
-   Jackson's Landing ending up for sale on e-bay
-   The laughable Hartlepool Vision complete with London Eye sized Ferris Wheel
-   His husbands very public sacking for lying
-   Cranney's sexual remarks to a local grandmother
-   The disastrous 'CafĂ© in the crem'
-   The millhouse masterplan. Whatever happened to that?

And literally dozens of other half arsed, hap hazard, calamitous decisions.

What then follows in the internal Labour document is a long explanation of how and why they have arrived at the conclusion.

Basically, the reasoning is a summary of what has been pointed out on this forum for around 5 years.

Most cutting is the fact that the CLP agrees with this forums conclusion that opposition councillors are now using the Akers-Belcher name to ensure Labour lose votes.

There is talk in the document of Labours opponents 'weaponsing the leader of the Labour group to worrying local effect in the recent Hart by-election. Translated that means the penny has finally dropped that all the opposition councillors have to do is mention the name 'Akers-Belcher' on an election leaflet and the chances are Labour will lose the seat.

There's a lot more I could say, but to be honest I'm just a little frustrated that it's taken 5 years for Labour Party members to see what myself and others could see if within 5 minutes of him becoming leader.

What will now follow next week is an attempt by the constituency Labour Party members across most wards within the town to force the hand of the Labour councillors and make tangible steps to end the Akers-Belcher pantomime.

Specifically the document formally requests the resignation of the current leader of the labour group and requests appropriate action from Labour members to ensure the requested change in leadership is forthcoming.

In addition, there's also a second part of the compound motion which asks that Labour Party members confirm that they are not involved with community or commercial activities which could (or be perceived to) bring the Labour party into disrepute.

Which is a nice motion, albeit one which is around 4 years too late.

Time's up Christopher.

Owen Jones

He must surely do the right thing and stand down but my guess is he will cling on for dear life !!!

PKelly

Seems like the local Labour party are finally getting their house in order.

mk1

Quote from: Owen Jones on November 10, 2018, 09: PM
He must surely do the right thing and stand down but my guess is he will cling on for dear life !!!

He will claim he is being picked on because he is disabled (permanent disfigurement due to an excessive amount of botox injections) and had threatened to  expose the corruption within Momentum.
Would not be at all surprised if he also  played the 'only gay in the village ' card.

Owen Jones

I won't go down without a fight or should I say they won't go down without a fight!!

Land Phil

Owen Jones

I guess he won't think of standing down until he knows which precious metal his departing medal is made of and it better be bigger than the mayor's!!

mk1

Quote from: Land Phil on November 10, 2018, 09: PM
I wonder when the healthwatch contract is up for renewal.

Anyone want to run a sweep on when Anth and Pixie Bratt start applying for (and getting) council funding?

PKelly

QuoteWould not be at all surprised if he also  played the 'only gay in the village ' card.

Neither would I. However we all know he is far from that in both the party and the council.  I do find your choice of phrase slightly unpalatable and I hope my recent consumption of wine has not misconstrued this as having an edge of homophobia.

mk1

Quote from: PKelly on November 10, 2018, 10: PM

Neither would I. However we all know he is far from that in both the party and the council.  I do find your choice of phrase slightly unpalatable and I hope my recent consumption of wine has not misconstrued this as having an edge of homophobia.

So you decided to  play the card for him?   New name but same old rubbish.

Hubris

Hi P. Kelly.
Maybe the phraseology used by MK1 could have been a tad more circumspect, but given CAB's track record of playing the homophobia card to such good and advantageous effect (eg. the tax payer funded damages he got that covered the cost of setting-up 'Belcher Palace' in Westbrook)   Add that to the now the not-so secret move to Brighton, the gay capital of Europe.... things start to add up.
Over to you MK!! Tell PK what you think.
What you really, really think.u
(Spice girls on TV as I type)

D.Riddle.
Keep it up Sir!
Your insider knowledge and top-notch perspective on things inside the cess-pit masquerading as an effective HBC is much appreciated.

Fred C.
Keep it up! Always great stuff.

HP posters in general......(too many to mention).....PLEASE keep the pressure on those who you feel/ know do a dis-service to general well-being and advancement of the people of Hartlepool.
Don't forget, your inputs are the fundamental building blocks of the entire democratic process.
As 11th Nov encroaches, reflect on the inescapable fact that democracy should NEVER be taken for granted.
Keep'em honest guys.

fred c

Thinking about this from the Corbyn Pixie angle, do they think this is enough, do they believe by getting rid of The Dear Leader it will be a 'cure all' I for one don't believe it will.

There are other Troughite's that should be purged from the council, but even that won't remove from public thought what has gone on for years within the LabMob......

If the Corbyn Pixies are really serious about cleansing the cess pit they need to commit themselves and the party to commissioning a full open and transparent inquiry into the financial dealings over the last 5 years

I also believe that the electorate would support the use of public money (even with government cuts) being used to fund such an inquiry.....

They should consider going down this route....It just might restore public confidence in what's left of the tattered reputation of the Hartlepool labour party.

Forensic Accounting is the specialty practice area of accounting that describes engagements that result from actual or anticipated disputes or litigation. "Forensic" means suitable for use in Court, and it is to that standard and potential outcome that forensic accountants generally have to work.

Land Phil

Labour let Hartlepool rot when they were in power nationally and it would be a miracle if they can do anything to recover at a time they are not.

For too long our issues with local politicians have been a local matter that nobody would help with.

Mike Hill has agreed things like the massive allowance rise was wrong and then took the opportunity 5 minutes later for a photo opportunity campaigning with them.
As much conviction as a wet lettuce.

Responses from the national party showed no empathy or sympathy never mind action.

101 reasons to vote Labour have been bulldozed for me.
Musical chairs isn't going to fix anything.

diSme

Well this is certainly good news to contemplate over my Sunday morning cuppa. The proposed move by the party may well not be a cure for all, however it should be a massive step in the right direction.

I can see potential for this move to cause further damage to the local reputation of the labour party, as anyone with with reasonable cognitive function will wonder why it's taken so long for the party to do anything about this Trainwreck of a 'leader'.
I believe everything and nothing

Owen Jones