Just exactly why?

Started by Inspector Knacker, October 23, 2018, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

The best way to describe it is a gravy train I am not saying all Cllrs are not worth their allowances  but  I suppose they are grateful  performance  related  pay isn't an issue - Yes I do work in a performance related  industry
I don' t business experienced of focused individuals  would stand as Councillors as change in a place like HBC would face opposition through lack of knowledge skills or understanding or the worst attribute not my idea or political unacceptable  so must be c**P  idea.
Sort point would town be any worse off if Cllrs were scrapped and town managed by professional officers most of them seem more committed to the town that its elected "elite"

Lucy Lass-Tick

Regarding Ben Houchen's remuneration not being questioned, that's probably because it is comparatively modest for the scope of the role; a FOI request made by the Post last year gives the following info.

'In accordance with the provisions of the Local Authorities (Members' Allowances) (England) its Independent Remuneration Panel, the Combined Authority has approved the payment of an allowance of £36,058.78 to the Tees Valley Mayor for the period (8th May 2017 to 7th May 2018).'

Obviously the 2018 to 2019 figure may have changed but any alterations are unlikely to be dramatic.

Inspector Knacker

In the role of CEO, is the salary for what you do or what you have to put up with? Herding deaf cats with an attitude comes to mind.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

PKelly

I saw a piece just after Houchen's election ripping apart the salary of one of his staff.

It turned out upon investigation, the person in question was highly qualified for the role with a track record of results despite his young age.

Usually, critics of public sector management and exec level salaries have had no experience of the vastly superior pay and benefits that the equivalent roles attract in the private sector.

The other critique I often hear and hate is that "they earn more than the PM" without any acknowledgement that the PM's salary has a cap.

I'd be happy if HBC advertised the Chief Exec position with a salary of £250k if they then were able to fill the post with someone from the private sector who has a long record of transforming failing organisations.

It's just bloody infuriating when the post goes to someone internal who changes nothing and is not performance managed effectively because the elected representatives responsible for that wouldn't know good performance if it hit them, can't manage their own behaviour and don't have a clue how to properly manage those under their remit.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: PKelly on October 25, 2018, 12: PM
I saw a piece just after Houchen's election ripping apart the salary of one of his staff.

It turned out upon investigation, the person in question was highly qualified for the role with a track record of results despite his young age.

Usually, critics of public sector management and exec level salaries have had no experience of the vastly superior pay and benefits that the equivalent roles attract in the private sector.

The other critique I often hear and hate is that "they earn more than the PM" without any acknowledgement that the PM's salary has a cap.

I'd be happy if HBC advertised the Chief Exec position with a salary of £250k if they then were able to fill the post with someone from the private sector who has a long record of transforming failing organisations.

It's just bloody infuriating when the post goes to someone internal who changes nothing and is not performance managed effectively because the elected representatives responsible for that wouldn't know good performance if it hit them, can't manage their own behaviour and don't have a clue how to properly manage those under their remit.

Nailed in one.

fred c

The Boy in a Mans Body was the Chair of the appointments panel when it appointed the present CEO......

Inspector Knacker

I suspect deciding on what to choose in the Pick n Mix would have been pushing the boundaries in that role. ::)
Is it true the interview process involved throwing a stick for the candidates followed by a shout of " FETCH! " ?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

mk1

Quote from: Inspector Knacker on October 25, 2018, 04: PM

Is it true the interview process involved throwing a stick for the candidates followed by a shout of " FETCH!

Some people have an innate gift of being able to 'read' people. They can tell if you are man or mouse after a brief conversation. I suspect the incumbent god-botherer was picked because it was  evident she had no spine and could be easily controlled. In Hartlepool its not your talent that matters but your obsequiousness. If a Uriah Heep Convention was held at Hartlepool  the Council would set up an employment stall at the event and recruit most of the attendees.