Johnston Press up for sale

Started by Stevef, October 11, 2018, 01: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevef

The BBC has just published the story that Johnston Press, owner of the Hartlepool Mail is looking for a buyer.

Johnston Press has reported debts of around £220m and has recently seen a fall in revenues.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45820202

You are what you do. It is what it does. Everything else is illusion or Delusion.

mk1

https://www.pressgazette.co.uk/scotsman-and-i-publisher-johnston-press-puts-itself-up-for-sale-after-struggling-to-refinance-220m-debts/

One of the readers comments says it all:

How has it kept going so far?
Copy and paste news with no relevance to local people.
Who'd buy such a waste of space?

Lucy Lass-Tick

Hartlepool Life will be rubbing their hands with glee ... unless HBC decides that the Evening Gazette or Northern Echo are in line for the advertising revenue.

Inspector Knacker

The Mail and Hartlepool Life are just twee purveyors of parish pump events and unbridled nostalgia, beige news.
What happened to investigative'local' journalism, God knows we could have done either it over the past few years.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Both the Mail & Hartlepool Life remind me of parish mags.

Devils advocate

Quote from: mk1 on October 11, 2018, 01: PM

One of the readers comments says it all:

At least they have the option to comment.
Auntie Joy doesn't like it when our townsfolk voice their opinions  :-X

mk1

Quote from: Lucy Lass-Tick on October 11, 2018, 02: PM
Hartlepool Life will be rubbing their hands with glee ... unless HBC decides that the Evening Gazette or Northern Echo are in line for the advertising revenue.

I bet they could buy the title pretty cheaply. Mind you they will have to up their game quite a bit in order to become a proper newspaper.

Land Phil

I assume all the assets have been stripped and all that is left is names and a handful of laptops.

Criminal how all the history and traditions have gone.

ReturntoZenda

I've  said it before, and it looks like I'll have to say it again. The hartlepool life was always, always intended to be a good news freesheet. It never had pretensions to be The Washington Post.

Inspector Knacker

If the Russian army invaded Seaton beach the Life would welcome the arrival of foreign tourists and praise the town's tourist credentials,  the Mail would announce their arrival a week later on page seven inbetween the article on a tap dancing parrot and the one about the over 95's limbo festival.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

The Great Dictator

Last time i checked they were £495m in debt..

Johnny Bongo

Why doesn't Johnson Press think outside the box regarding The Hartlepool Mail!  Put photos of the Scabs, Mad Dog, Cranney  and Co on every page, fluff the paper up so that it's softer...then sell it as bog paper!  Just think...you can be sat there, on your 'throne', fuming with rage whilst reading all the rubbish about how wonderful our Labour Councillors are, with  Cab staring at you...or is he sneering?  Well, time to get even....shove his face where the sun don't shine...wipe that smile off his face...then flush him and the other clowns down the pan!  I'd buy the Mail every day if I could do this.  C'mon, Johnson Press, what are you waiting for?