student lets

Started by jawsbbc, September 17, 2018, 07: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jawsbbc

anyone else heard they are supposed to be turning shades into student lets ?? how many students are we expecting?
titan house, student lets crown house, student lets  engineers, student lets  can anyone name any more   

fred c

The flats next to the old Yorkshire Bank in Church Street.....council paid £315,000 for them.

So much for "IT businesses and Start Ups" in Church Street, the council is looking more like a letting agency.  ::)

jawsbbc

Quote from: fred c on September 17, 2018, 08: PM
The flats next to the old Yorkshire Bank in Church Street.....council paid £315,000 for them.

So much for "IT businesses and Start Ups" in Church Street, the council is looking more like a letting agency.  ::)
thats why i posted fred do not get me wrong i,m all for student  lets but it looks like there will be a abundance of them  titan house, i thought that was social housing 13 bought it and renovated it for social housing flats,  that they are now renovating again to make them into student lets

crisstw

They're after the Student Loan money. They know students get grants (debt) and they know they can get this from letting out Student Accommodation, so it's easy money.

The only problem being that with more student accommodation around Church St. They'll no doubt provide the bars, clubs and takeaways more income, proving that Church St. is only good for bars, clubs and takeaways... so much for that Cafe Culture...

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Student lets have boomed up and down the country.
It appears to be the new housing bubble waiting to burst.
Lots of borrowed money and no guarantee that it is going to be paid back.
I can see the bubble bursting one day ...just a case of when.
I don't believe it.

pieface

Quote from: crisstw on September 18, 2018, 10: AM
They're after the Student Loan money. They know students get grants (debt) and they know they can get this from letting out Student Accommodation, so it's easy money.

The only problem being that with more student accommodation around Church St. They'll no doubt provide the bars, clubs and takeaways more income, proving that Church St. is only good for bars, clubs and takeaways... so much for that Cafe Culture...

I believe another attraction is the lack of business rates that have to be paid on student accommodation and can cram in more rooms than a normal development to maximise the income further

mk1

Durham City centre is swamped with student lets. However I doubt 'artlepool has the same  cachet. Frankly I think students will be easy meat for the local 'who u staring at mate' villians and I recommend incomers do  not invest in any expensive portable electric devices.

stokoe

I hear on the street that the old engineers club is to be demolished and yes student flats to be built, by a local firm ::)

fred c

Russ Gobinson perchance ?

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: stokoe on September 19, 2018, 11: AM
I hear on the street that the old engineers club is to be demolished and yes student flats to be built, by a local firm ::)
To be fair, the Engineers Club will be no loss to the town's architecture. Let's hope something better goes up.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

stumped

Is this a private firm offering the land? I was lead to believe this was something to do with Advanced House/ Advanced Media / Collier & Wood? https://www.facebook.com/SVTwentyFour/

jawsbbc

https://www.facebook.com/SVTwentyFour/photos/rpp.622287054813023/622461741462221/?type=3&theater
they are just apartments at Titan House, which are being marketed to students. SV TwentyFour is purpose built for students, with communal chill out spaces, Student Union Bar, retail units, 24hr Key Fob access, gated secure parking, laundry facilities servicing every pod and a gym. It's been designed purely for students as a self contained village.
SV27 There are 148 Student Dwellings, with a communal space for each pod of 6. In addition to those there are 13 high spec penthouse studio apartments with incredible views across the marina on offer. Retail space on the ground floor across the front elevation.

crisstw

Right next to the job centre, at least they can sign on as soon as they finish college

Veritas

The old Lime Crescent flats are student lets owned by 13 group.

jawsbbc

anyone  on the board of 13 we know ?