Illegal drugs deaths and Hartlepool

Started by Lord Elpus, September 17, 2018, 08: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diSme

The staff/caseworkers are quite adept at differentiating between the people who are there for genuine help as opposed to the people who generally just abuse the system and the help on offer (which is probably the majority).

Somebody who is making positive progress and regularly submitting clean samples will not ordinarily be penalised for missing an appointment or for running a little late.

The service is far from perfect, however a lot of the issues with it arise from the need to confirm to national legislation, as mk1 alluded to.

I believe everything and nothing

jawsbbc

Quote from: diSme on September 17, 2018, 09: PM
The staff/caseworkers are quite adept at differentiating between the people who are there for genuine help as opposed to the people who generally just abuse the system and the help on offer (which is probably the majority).

Somebody who is making positive progress and regularly submitting clean samples will not ordinarily be penalised for missing an appointment or for running a little late.

The service is far from perfect, however a lot of the issues with it arise from the need to confirm to national legislation, as mk1 alluded to.
(Somebody who is making positive progress and regularly submitting clean samples will not ordinarily be penalised for missing an appointment or for running a little late). sorry but they are  penalised wether making progress or not i have first hand knowledge  of this  even the drug and alcohol councilors admit the system is flawed

diSme

Quote from: jawsbbc on September 18, 2018, 12: PM

(Somebody who is making positive progress and regularly submitting clean samples will not ordinarily be penalised for missing an appointment or for running a little late). sorry but they are  penalised wether making progress or not i have first hand knowledge  of this  even the drug and alcohol councilors admit the system is flawed

I also have first-hand experience, as a service user (not proud, but it's the truth), and this is how I found it to be. Albeit, that was 2 or 3 years ago now, however I still have a friend who attends fortnightly for alcohol addiction and his outlook on the service is similar to mine.

Perhaps the difference between people's experiences is because some people take the time to make a phonecall if they're running late or need to change an appointment.
That said, I do remember an occasion where I completely missed an appointment due to an error on my part, and as a result my caseworker simply rang me and booked in another appointment in for me, without any upset or change to the treatment I was recieving...

jawsbbc

Quote from: diSme on September 18, 2018, 02: PM

I also have first-hand experience, as a service user (not proud, but it's the truth), and this is how I found it to be. Albeit, that was 2 or 3 years ago now, however I still have a friend who attends fortnightly for alcohol addiction and his outlook on the service is similar to mine.

Perhaps the difference between people's experiences is because some people take the time to make a phonecall if they're running late or need to change an appointment.
That said, I do remember an occasion where I completely missed an appointment due to an error on my part, and as a result my caseworker simply rang me and booked in another appointment in for me, without any upset or change to the treatment I was recieving...
think its 3 strikes and your out even if you have good reasons wether you ring or not  over 52 weeks  just what i have experienced over the last 6 months this is the drugs side of it  though

diSme

Quote from: jawsbbc on September 18, 2018, 02: PM
Quote from: diSme on September 18, 2018, 02: PM

think its 3 strikes and your out even if you have good reasons wether you ring or not  over 52 weeks  just what i have experienced over the last 6 months this is the drugs side of it  though

I actually think 3 strikes is pretty fair.

It may well have changed since I used the service, which was also on the drugs side of it. I was on methadone treatment for opiate addiction. I would like to think that the caseworkers/management would be able to use to use a little discretion before enforcing any such rules or requirements, but again, I'm out of the loop now (fortunately).

Lord Elpus

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-45557730

Can I say I also support the prescribing of heroin to addicts, I don't do drugs or alcohol  but the current system has not only let addicts down its let society down.

diSme

Quote from: Lord Elpus on September 18, 2018, 03: PM

Can I say I also support the prescribing of heroin to addicts, I don't do drugs or alcohol  but the current system has not only let addicts down its let society down.

It has proven to be a highly successful approach in the (very) few places it has been trialled.

One only has to look at the history of Professor David Nutt to appreciate that the current governmental stance on drugs in general is failing miserably.

jawsbbc

Quote from: Lord Elpus on September 18, 2018, 03: PM

i also support the prescribing of heroin to addicts, I don't do drugs or alcohol either but like you say geoff  it has let genuine addicts that do want to reduce down and also let society down