The door that blights the 'Visionl

Started by mk1, September 10, 2018, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk1

This (centre) is the replacement door that has wrecked the Cafe Kulture in the Church Street  area.
All images  Google Street view from 2009 to date

fred c

I really had to laugh at this, the latest sack of bulls**t from this council, have any of the Eritige Clowncillors walked along Church Street, it is still a dilapidated backwater with the majority of shop frontages totally out of character with the original buildings.

In fact 75% of the facades need a lot of work just to tidy them up, never mind restoring them which isn't going to be an easy fix, it will certainly prove to be an expensive exercise and depending on the owners actually applying for the grants that are available.

One of the few areas of expertise this council can lay claim to is double standards......If they wanted Church Street to be a reflection of the history and heritage of the area.....Why did they allow a modern bronze clad college to be stuck on the end of Church Street and Mainsforth Terrace. ?

Inspector Knacker

Church Street looks bleak and windswept now on a sunny day. It's a bit like repaving the road to hell, if there's no decent shops down there, new pavements will make no difference, unless of course they're going to buy up every shop and restore them at our expense as outposts of their 'empire'.

Church Street was killed off when Councillors decided to build the shopping centre and wreck the town layout, prior to that it served the purpose it was meant to, however egotistical legacy syndrome infected the council chamber in the sixties and it was decreed they'd give the people what they didn't want.
Most towns redevelop their existing centres around the main shopping area, we broke the mould and bu**ered up the own centre to this day.
Egotistical flagship projects may arouse preening Councillors and their addiction to shiney sparkly things, but they ain't paying for them.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: fred c on September 10, 2018, 07: PM
I really had to laugh at this, the latest sack of bulls**t from this council, have any of the Eritige Clowncillors walked along Church Street, it is still a dilapidated backwater with the majority of shop frontages totally out of character with the original buildings.

In fact 75% of the facades need a lot of work just to tidy them up, never mind restoring them which isn't going to be an easy fix, it will certainly prove to be an expensive exercise and depending on the owners actually applying for the grants that are available.

One of the few areas of expertise this council can lay claim to is double standards......If they wanted Church Street to be a reflection of the history and heritage of the area.....Why did they allow a modern bronze clad college to be stuck on the end of Church Street and Mainsforth Terrace. ?
Just read the full report on the 'offensive' door blighting the sensibilities of the planners.
There is a sloution however. Church Street for a long time has been basically a bars and kebab street. The old fronts replaced with the banal and tacky. So a trip to the tip to pick up a gaudily painted door, damaged, graffiti covered, smelling of pee and vomit and traces of long dead fast food should restore that edgy Church Street feel to Scarborough Street.

Inspector Knacker

Could it be the colour?

What about 'Vision Violet' or Jacksons Landing Jade ?

Stig of the Seaton Dump

For the sake of my neighbours, I am not going to reveal my address ...

I live in a conservation area and contacted HBC about external improvements to my house.

One of the things I mentioned was replacing the dilapidated wooden front door with one of those nice composite ones.
I was told it would be out of keeping with the area.

All my neighbours have uPVC ones.

Obviously they didn't ask for permission and the council never check as they have been that way for years.

I am still letting the neighbourhood down with my scruffy door. It has non standard size furniture  so little chance of that changing. 
I don't believe it.

jeffh

It would appear that the bins in Church Street are going to be 4 x Belly Busters - I'm quite sure that the Planning Committee will ensure that they are in keeping with the surrounding area

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: jeffh on September 17, 2018, 09: AM
It would appear that the bins in Church Street are going to be 4 x Belly Busters - I'm quite sure that the Planning Committee will ensure that they are in keeping with the surrounding area
A few slop tanks disguised as decorative horse troughs wouldn't go amiss?

Bluenose

Having returned to  see church street in its revamped glory, I have to ask what is the point  big  pavements  narrow roads  and where is my cafe culture

fred c

There never was nor ever will be a "Cafe Culture" in Church Street, I am not being unambitious or defeatist just pragmatic.....I really believe officers of the council explore every avenue to get grant funding for visionary ideas that they themselves realise are pipedreams, and only because it keeps the self servers off their backs....... at least until the next grandiose vision floats into their tiny minds.

Inspector Knacker

Drove down at the weekend after 10 at night and first time after day so to speak. Who picked those lights? They shine out at an angle,  dazzling you as you drive down and they're only on one side of the road, so the north side of the street is in a strange half light.

Heknocks68

Really, let them get finito uno, dos, tres, give it a chance, they shine one way due to the direction they point in, those who dont need to put their lights on in dwellings opposite are not complaining, saving a fortune in darker times on lekky. Can even read their post without issue as im lead to believe. Hey, it could catch on, dont pull the plug just yet.wait till filters kick in, always look on the bright side of life, de do, de do de do de do

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: Heknocks68 on September 17, 2018, 10: PM
Really, let them get finito uno, dos, tres, give it a chance, they shine one way due to the direction they point in, those who dont need to put their lights on in dwellings opposite are not complaining, saving a fortune in darker times on lekky. Can even read their post without issue as im lead to believe. Hey, it could catch on, dont pull the plug just yet.wait till filters kick in, always look on the bright side of life, de do, de do de do de do
A perfect Micky take of how a Councillors reply would look in the first draft. I congratulate you.

jawsbbc

Hartlepool Civic Society – The Society has studied the plans and we object to this
application:
* The property is in a Conservation Area and the replacement should reflect the
original – which is a wooden door with window above. This has now been
substituted with a composite door and uPVC boarding in place of the window.
* The Heritage Statement shows that the applicant has no appreciation of the
meaning of a Conservation Area - suggesting further plastic should be used because
by default, another retrospective application had used plastic so this one should be
'in sync' with that.
* Furthermore, the Society is getting increasingly concerned with the number of
retrospective applications, particularly in Conservation Areas which are being
approved by the Planning Committee, despite not complying with the Conventions of
applying to Conservation Areas and often against advice from the Council's own
Planning Committee – 5 September 2018 3.1
18.09.05 3.1 Planning Applications 16
officers. It seems applicants are 'cottoning on' to this and having work done and
applying later (if discovered) – then citing examples of other poor planning decisions
to condone their own poor quality works.
This is an enormous betrayal of those, recognising among other things the economic
benefits heritage offers, are investing in their historic properties including the
Borough Council (e.g. the Old General Post Office) which is in sight of this
application.
The Council needs to tighten up adherence to the guidelines, or we are going to be
left with a mish mash of a town

fred c

"The Council needs to tighten up adherence to the guidelines, or we are going to be
left with a mish mash of a town"

It's a tad late for the Hartlepool Civic Society to come to this conclusion, the old central post office has a bronze coloured c ladding all over the side of the building.....how does that fit in with the conservation perspective of the society or the council.