Rural West By-election

Started by Lucy Lass-Tick, July 12, 2018, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucy Lass-Tick

Rural West goes to the polls today in the by-election caused by Martin-Wells' resignation. Apparently the independent candidate has done a pretty thorough canvassing job.

Would be good to see another independent do well - a slap in the lab/con coalition's face.

DRiddle

I'm told someone has reported the independent candidate to the police for some statements made in his election leaflets. I think the police will laugh it off because (a) there aren't enough police to investigate it in a town which such high levels of real crime and (b) even if there were, the statements are essentially true. Hey ho, that's the Hartlepool political scene for you. Crazy. Absolutely crazy.

I think the 'row' centres on the independent candidate stating that the Tories went against the wishes of residents in Dalton and voted for some bungalows being built there.

The complaint is based around that, claiming the statement is misleading.

However, a cursory glace at the voting record on the decision about the bungalows will clearly show that two of the three Tories (I used the term Tory in the loosest possible sense) did actually go against the wishes of residents in Dalton and voted for some bungalows being built there.

So basically the complaint is about a statement that IS true, not being true. . .  even though it IS true and can be shown clearly in voting records and meeting minutes to be true. The person who has reportedly made the complaint was at the meeting and is aware of the voting records, yet decided to make the complaint anyway. Even though she knows the statement is actually true. If anything there's an argument for charging her with wasting police time.

fred c

I have friends who live in Dalton and they are of the opinion that not 1 resident wanted the bungalows to go ahead, they still don't....but with 3 tories on the planning committee the developer still got the permission........I wonder if Dalton Residents will be voting for Mr Young.

DRiddle

Looks like the real reason for the complaint became clear last night. Young squeaked home by 132 votes in a ward Tory councillors typically win by over 1000. The mob will have known it was too close for comfort by the postal votes so the complaint mentioned above was probably to cover their backs in case the tories lost the seat.

Mike Young finally elected eh? Joining the likes of Alan Barclay and mammy Belcher and SAB.

I don't know about you but I'm looking out the window and checking for a plague of locusts. Those 4 holding public office at the same time must surely be one of the signs of the apocalypse.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: DRiddle on July 13, 2018, 06: AM

Mike Young finally elected eh? Joining the likes of Alan Barclay and mammy Belcher and SAB.

I don't know about you but I'm looking out the window and checking for a plague of locusts. Those 4 holding public office at the same time must surely be one of the signs of the apocalypse.
I wonder what the average IQ level is now?

National party politics at a local level puts party before the people? How many of these people would be elected if they stood as independents ?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

I am sure Mike Young will be great for Mike Young, just another member of the mob.
I don't believe it.

Inspector Knacker

Not so much a council, more a Municipal Country Club/ Twilight Home.

Lucy Lass-Tick

James Brewer did very well for the independents by polling so closely behind Young. Next time?

Mike Young - Conservatives - 678

James Brewer - Independent - 546

Yousuf khan - Labour -184

Mike Holt - Green Party -  87

The turnout for the by-election was 25.32%.

fred c

Quote from: DRiddle on July 13, 2018, 06: AM
Looks like the real reason for the complaint became clear last night. Young squeaked home by 132 votes in a ward Tory councillors typically win by over 1000. The mob will have known it was too close for comfort by the postal votes so the complaint mentioned above was probably to cover their backs in case the tories lost the seat.

If the rumours of The Handsome Ones conversion to a Vegan are found to be correct.....I plague of locusts could come in handy for his dinner..

Crispy fried locust (vegetable oil of course) with a chilled glass of grass and nettle smoothy......

DRiddle

I've heard the vegan rumour. Doesn't the story go that he celebrated being vegan for a whole two weeks or so by buying himself a new pair of LEATHER shoes?

jeffh

Quote from: DRiddle on July 13, 2018, 06: PM
I've heard the vegan rumour. Doesn't the story go that he celebrated being vegan for a whole two weeks or so by buying himself a new pair of LEATHER shoes?
No fairs fair - he thinks shoes come from Clinkards and he probably thinks that his Vegan diet means he has to vegetables with everything - literally it's Veg an' - so Carrots & Steak, porridge & peas etc

Gustaf I of England + BWH

Quote from: jeffh on July 13, 2018, 06: PM
No fairs fair - he thinks shoes come from Clinkards and he probably thinks that his Vegan diet means he has to vegetables with everything - literally it's Veg an' - so Carrots & Steak, porridge & peas etc

Wot! - No jelly ?

At least I think I now understand "why all the wild flower beds/meadows" - it's so that while he's out walking the town regular he can have a quick snack if he feels peckish.

Heknocks68

" basically the complaint is about a statement that IS true, not being true. . .  even though it IS true and can be shown clearly in voting records and meeting minutes to be true. The person who has reportedly made the complaint was at the meeting and is aware of the voting records, yet decided to make the complaint anyway. Even though she knows the statement is actually true. If anything there's an argument for charging her with wasting police time. "
If only, sadly it is unlikely to happen, how do such positions keep attracting such sub educated kinds. Once again the turn out a mere 25 or so % is it any wonder they get on the gravy train with such ease, if I considered myself of suitable material and had the time to"GIVE" I would consider standing.

Inspector Knacker

Is it cannibalism when a vegetable eats other vegetables ?

kevplumb

Quote from: DRiddleI don't know about you but I'm looking out the window and checking for a plague of locusts. Those 4 holding public office at the same time must surely be one of the signs of the apocalypse.

Did you miss them that was years ago they all landed on the kremlin  ;D ;D ;D
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment