Election

Started by Lucy Lass-Tick, May 04, 2018, 01: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

They should just change their name from Conservative to Compliant. They're happy to be the Labour sidekick, dog whistle politics par excellence.
'They're Conservatives Jim, but not as we know it' to paraphrase Star Trek.
More Klingon, or should that be Cling on, than Conservative.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

The Great Dictator

It wouldn't have happened in my day Geoff.. :-X

Lord Elpus

It'll be interesting who replaces Clark as Chair of Children's Services, it could be a chance for Barclay to shine.

Shepherd

Quote from: Lord Elpus on May 04, 2018, 11: AM
It'll be interesting who replaces Clark as Chair of Children's Services, it could be a chance for Barclay to shine.

I did not think you could polish a tu*d?

HarmonyPeace

I really can't believe that Ann Marshall was elected in Foggy Furze, especially after all Darren Price has done. Better luck next time Darren and if I am able to I'll give you as much support as I can.

DRiddle

Just a bit of number crunching for the local Labour lot to mull over.

The Tories contested (sort of) all 11 wards and averaged 339 votes per ward.

The 'Others' (Green, fake indys like Cranny's pal and the mad for Britain woman) contested 6 different wards and averaged 108 votes per ward contested.

Labour contested all 11 wards and averaged 579 votes per ward.

The real independent candidates including PHF's contested wards was 10 wards in total contested (neither PHF or the indy group contested Victoria ward, more on that later).

The average vote across those 10 wards contested was 610 votes.

So in pure raw 'average votes per ward contested' Labour have crashed to less than 600 votes per ward for what I'm fairly sure is the first time EVER in a 'one third or all out' local election in Hartlepool.

Independents have now shown in very recent years they can win in Burn valley, Fens and Rossmere, Hart, Jesmond, Headland and Harbour and Seaton. 6 different wards. Independents have also ran Labour VERY close in Foggy Furze.

There is no doubt at all that Labour are beatable or very vulnerable in 7 of the 11 wards (8 if you include west park being tory).

They're only really EXTREMELY safe in Manor House, VERY safe in De Bruce and reasonably safe in Victoria Ward.

Don't believe the "we came with 19 seats and we left with 19 seats" line from Akers-Belcher. You could see their faces last night. They expected to end up with at least 21 seats, maybe 22. They thought they'd walk Hart, defend Fens and Rossmere, pick up Jesmond (which they did) and possibly take back the Headland from Tim.

It didn't pan out like that, they lost one of their best cabinet members, picked up another passenger in Ann Marshall and Jim 'loadsofmoney' Lindridge ended up looking like an idiot on what will probably end up being channel 4 national tele.

Whatever the new influx of Labour are members are doing I hope they keep doing it.  ;)

mk1

Quote from: DRiddle on May 04, 2018, 01: PM

Whatever the new influx of Labour are members are doing I hope they keep doing it.  ;)

Nationally that will be Labour's problem. All the new intake were told they were on a winner and they only had to get the message across and  everyone would vote for them. They now find that they are stalled and in some places rolling backwards. Both main parties are neck-and-neck and the  anticipated  'Golden Age' is not now a realistic prospect. Sweeping change is out and that must deflate the newbies. They will now be thinking what is the point of it all and a lot will just give up.
I think the new intake better wake up to the fact Corbyn is a committed  Brexiteer and is just letting them think he is a Remainer to keep them on side. He is cynically exploiting their (mistaken) belief he wants to stay in the EU.

Have to say watching the Election coverage last night was a revelation. John  McDonnell comes across as an arrogant bully who is every bit the graceless  thug he is always made out to be.

Foggy

The Tory vote in Foggy Furze continues to baffle me.  It seems strangely high.  Why would 312 people vote for someone who is essentially a fake candidate?  No active campaigning, no leaflets and a silhouette in the Fail along with a pathetic copy and paste write up attacking independents.

I thought it was just this election but, although the Tory percentage is a little higher this year, looking back over the last few elections its not that unusual.

A Marshall - Labour - 658 (39.64%)
D Price - Independent - 553 (33.31%)
A Martin-Wells - Cons - 312 (18.80%)
A Wildberg - 74 (4.46%)
M Ritchie - Green - 63 (3.80%)

C Akers-Belcher - Labour - 828 (44.9%)
D Price - UKIP - 748 (40.56%)
B Reeve - Cons - 268 (14.53%)

K Cranney - Labour - 1330 (35.9%)
C Cassidy - UKIP - 1028 (27.75%)
D Price - PHF - 628 (16.95%)
B Reeve - Cons - 531 (14.33%)
D McIntyre - Green - 188 (5.07%)

K Sirs - Labour - 677 (37.93%)
P Fenn - UKIP - 593 (33.22%)
A Martin-Wells - Cons - 208 (11.65%)
M Sinclair - PHF - 197 (11.04%)
L Gillam - Lib Dem - 110 (6.16%)

I don't really know what to make of this but there are two things I know for sure:

People who vote for fake candidates need to give their head a shake.... and Darren Price should keep going as he will get there in the end.  Look at Sue Little in Seaton.  Definitely worth a go at Cranney's seat  ;)

mk1

If you want to see what Labour were saying (Nationally with Eddie Izzard front and centre) before the Elections rather than today's pathetic excuses read this:

https://order-order.com/2018/05/04/humiliation-owen-jones-unseat-tories-vanity-campaign

fred c

If Alan Clarke can get turned over, the likes of CAB & Cranney could easily face the same consequences...... As much as the pair of them think they are the dogs bollox, they are reviled by the vast majority of the electorate......and not without good reason. ::)

Inspector Knacker

I ceased working the Manor a couple of months ago and coming into contact with many people on a daily basis was always puzzled at how many would show their contempt for councillors then announce they always vote Labour to keep the Tories out.
Baffled me too.
There must be some genetic reason, logic defied.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Gustaf I of England + BWH

Now that the dust of this year's locals has settled somewhat, do we know what basic salary the newly elected/re-elected councillors will be drawing - will any of them be electing for the pre 31% rise amount ?

And yes I Know it's not strictly a salary, but in Hrtlpool for most of them it might as well be.
I also consider those who 'donate the increase to good/charitable causes' to have taken the full amount. I am quite capable of making my own decisions about which charities I donate to and how much.

jeffh

Quote from: Gustaf I of England + BWH on May 10, 2018, 08: PM
Now that the dust of this year's locals has settled somewhat, do we know what basic salary the newly elected/re-elected councillors will be drawing - will any of them be electing for the pre 31% rise amount ?

And yes I Know it's not strictly a salary, but in Hrtlpool for most of them it might as well be.
I also consider those who 'donate the increase to good/charitable causes' to have taken the full amount. I am quite capable of making my own decisions about which charities I donate to and how much.
My understanding is that all councillors receive the new allowance of £7792 with the SRA single weighted allowance being the same.  What they then decide to do with the money is up to them.

Gustaf I of England + BWH

Quote from: jeffh on May 10, 2018, 08: PM
Quote from: Gustaf I of England + BWH on May 10, 2018, 08: PM

My understanding is that all councillors receive the new allowance of £7792 with the SRA single weighted allowance being the same.  What they then decide to do with the money is up to them.

And in any 'normal' council that would be only right and proper. But this is Hrtlpool we are talking about, the town with no Conservative and no Labour parties to speak of - just a load of chancers free-loading off the party name. As I see it we now have four or five classes (sorry , can't think of a better term for it) of councillor in the town :-

Those that rejected the 31% increase outright and draw the pre-increase allowance.
Those that rejected the increase but draw the new rate - donating the increase amount to charity.
Those that voted for the increase, realised they had dropped themselves in it with the electorate so announced they would donate the increase to charity.
Those that voted for the increase and don't give a toss what the electorate think - it's their money and they're going to keep it.
Those newly elected who legitimately claim the increased allowance because it is now the going rate. (Although I would like to think that some of them would do the decent thing and request the lower amount).

As time goes by and councillors come and go, the increased rate will become the 'norm' and the electorate of Hrtlpool will be saddled with yet more expense. Meanwhile the town goes to rack and ruin - industry and businesses close down or move out, more 'executive' housing with inadequate parking and no executives to occupy, more 'affordable' housing that no one can afford, etc. etc. etc.

Perhaps one day we will have a majority of councillors who are there for the benefit of the town and its residents and not simply to line their own pockets/promote their own business(es)/massage their own egos, but probably not in our lifetime.