Gagged

Started by admin, October 14, 2017, 02: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Gagged: Front Page Story

fred c

CEO's reply to my email enquiring about the CIL carpet saga....... it make for interesting reading.

I would like to thank you for your correspondence in relation to the Hartlepool Centre for Independent Living.

I can confirm, as detailed in the Council's media statement, that the cost of removing and replacing the carpets and floor coverings is £13,500.  This is the net additional cost of replacing carpets and floor coverings of £45,000, less the value of the carpets which will be reused of £31,500.  The net cost of £13,500 arises from the decision taken by senior officers of the Council, including myself, in consultation with the relevant Policy Committee Chairs to replace carpets and floor coverings. 

The centre was designed to meet the needs of a wide range of users, including people with dementia and autism.

As indicated in our media statement some of the carpets and floor coverings in the new building were unsuitable – including for the dementia and autism friendly environment that we were looking to create.  This was not the only reason for replacing carpets and floor coverings and some of the carpets were replaced because they were unsuitable in terms of the overall professional look we want to achieve for this building. 

would like to thank you for your correspondence in relation to the Hartlepool Centre for Independent Living.

I can confirm, as detailed in the Council's media statement, that the cost of removing and replacing the carpets and floor coverings is £13,500.  This is the net additional cost of replacing carpets and floor coverings of £45,000, less the value of the carpets which will be reused of £31,500.  The net cost of £13,500 arises from the decision taken by senior officers of the Council, including myself, in consultation with the relevant Policy Committee Chairs to replace carpets and floor coverings. 

The centre was designed to meet the needs of a wide range of users, including people with dementia and autism.

As indicated in our media statement some of the carpets and floor coverings in the new building were unsuitable – including for the dementia and autism friendly environment that we were looking to create.  This was not the only reason for replacing carpets and floor coverings and some of the carpets were replaced because they were unsuitable in terms of the overall professional look we want to achieve for this building. 

It is regrettable that some carpets and floor coverings had to be replaced and this decision was not taken lightly.  I can also assure you that new procedures have been put in place to prevent a situation like this happening again. I think it's also important to point out that despite the additional spending on carpets and floor coverings of £13,500, this £4 million project to benefit the people of Hartlepool has been delivered under budget.

It is regrettable that some carpets and floor coverings had to be replaced and this decision was not taken lightly.  I can also assure you that new procedures have been put in place to prevent a situation like this happening again. I think it's also important to point out that despite the additional spending on carpets and floor coverings of £13,500, this £4 million project to benefit the people of Hartlepool has been delivered under budget.

You will note, the actual reason (apart from a vague referral to dementia and autism) wasn't forthcoming, but new procedures have now been put in place to prevent this happening again  ::)

The most pertinent point in the CEO's reply is.... 'the project came in under budget'  :)

Ohhhhhhhhh so that's perfectly ok then Ms Alexander  ::)

I wonder, given 'Central Government Cuts'............ What could the Clowncil have spent the extra £13,500 on ?. DOHHHHHHHH

You really couldn't make this stuff up.........

crisstw

Can we not just get them all sacked and locked up?  :P

Inspector Knacker

The staff contacted the Post. I wonder why they didn't contact their Union as well? I wonder what the reaction would have been, or perhaps should have been.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

Stig of the Seaton Dump

Quote from: Riddler5 on October 14, 2017, 06: PM
The staff contacted the Post. I wonder why they didn't contact their Union as well? I wonder what the reaction would have been, or perhaps should have been.

Who pays the union rep wages ?
I don't believe it.

Johnny Bongo

Do we know which company had the carpet contract?  Surely, they will have the original order and a signature of a Council Officer to go with it!  The original colour scheme and hence, the cost, must have been agreed by either a Council Officer or a commitee, ie, Labour coucillors, I would assume.   As we all know...if HBC has nothing to hide, then surely they can reveal why / how there was a c**k up with the original design...AND also why, on CAB's orders apparently, this colour scheme was changed.  Where did HBC obtain the advice for colour schemes suitable for autistic people, etc?  What did Ms Alexander mean when she stated that   ''I can also assure you that new procedures have been put in place to prevent a situation like this happening again''?  What procedures exactly?  Like sacking CAB? 

not4me

" I can also assure you that new procedures have been put in place to prevent a situation like this happening again."

i.e.gagging orders to stop stuff like this leaking out again  ::)

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: Stig of the Seaton Dump on October 14, 2017, 08: PM
Quote from: Riddler5 on October 14, 2017, 06: PM

Who pays the union rep wages ?
Who should the union reps duty be to look after? Now there's a question.
And if it had been a Tory, Lib Dem or any other party?

mrb

Geez. It's a bit dumb but come on guys and gals, it's hardly frigging Watergate.

Inspector Knacker

it's a bit dumb ? Really?

kevplumb

Quote from: mrb on October 15, 2017, 08: PM
Geez. It's a bit dumb but come on guys and gals, it's hardly frigging Watergate.
you pay the freaking bill for CABS hissy fit then dumb my ass that money could have gone elsewhere

and possibly (and I use the phrase very carefully) done some good  :o
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

mrb

I don't disagree Kev! I just think the attention given to the whole facade is disproportionate given the sum of money involved.

fred c

I think the phrase "Look after the Pennies and the Pounds will Look after themselves"... should be applied by Hartlepool Council.

The carpet cash in relative terms may be a small waste of money, the reasons for that waste are what is worrying....... there are instances where the sum was a tad more......... like £1.5  millions worth

But the really worrying issue is.......... if a public body is applying gagging orders it's wrong.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: mrb on October 16, 2017, 02: PM
I don't disagree Kev! I just think the attention given to the whole facade is disproportionate given the sum of money involved.
This has to be a wind up.

Heknocks68

Probably another sale of assets at Lynn St soon.