DOS Attack

Started by admin, January 15, 2017, 10: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

As you will have noticed, the site is currently under repeated DOS attacks. Doesn't look like it's anything local but a spam bot operating from China. We're doing what we can to mitigate the effects.

mk1

Quote from: admin on January 15, 2017, 10: AM
As you will have noticed, the site is currently under repeated DOS attacks. Doesn't look like it's anything local but a spam bot operating from China. We're doing what we can to mitigate the effects.

You are too naive. Spam bots do not waste this much  time & effort  on obscure local forums.

fred c

I tend to agree with mk1 on this, lets face it, there are those who have tried on numerous occasions to affect the performance of The Post, which leads me to believe those responsible then are responsible now, however what is a tad puzzling is, the apparent lack of attention shown by CP on these regular DDoS attacks.

mk1

I think we should look to a more recent event. Perhaps a new member who was making 'threats'?

mk1

This thread has had over 1000 views in 5 mins. It is the current target.

SimonC

It's probably an attack from the Kremlin...

Similar to America being hacked by Russians....

mk1

Given the latest comments on Beanz I would have him/UKIP down as the culprits but they lack the wit to organise it!

stokoe

Quote from: mk1 on January 15, 2017, 12: PM
I think we should look to a more recent event. Perhaps a new member who was making 'threats'?
[/quote

Got to agree with mk1 on this one seems a bit funny.

DRiddle

Plenty of suspects. It's the third anivessary of the launch of 'the vision' very soon. Also, yearly accounts have to submitted soon too. Maybe there's a set of accounts soon to be filed that certain people would rather this site couldn't run a story on.  ::)

It's frighteningly easy to organise an attack like this against a website like the post if you know what you're doing. Takes 5 minutes and £10-20 a month for the attacker to be in control of when they want to knockout the website they're targeting.

I have my suspicions about who it is but I guess maybe time will tell.

kevplumb

can get the front page ok but as soon as i click forum i get 404
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

admin

Sorry about the need to sign in as we try to mitigate the effects of the attack. Hopefully, this will only be temporary.

fred c

mk1

No less than 9  new 'members' registered yesterday.

Lucy Lass-Tick

Quote from: mk1 on January 16, 2017, 08: AM
No less than 9  new 'members' registered yesterday.

Quite possibly members of The Post's Facebook group who normally just viewed the page via that medium.  They were advised that to view the forum they would need to register.