hbc / cranny tesco carrier bag charge fund

Started by jawsbbc, December 06, 2016, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jawsbbc

they will get funding from anywere this lot 10,000 for cranny,s waverely terrace allotments  story in the mail tonight

jawsbbc

SAB's Allotment Spade Hits a Rock Suggested plans to slot one, or perhaps even two, councillors into lucrative employment  positions appear to have hit a problem. The names of both Stephen Akers-Belcher and Marjorie James have been linked to  proposals to create two, well paid jobs as part of plans to expand the existing Waverley  Allotment Group and turn it into a social enterprise. The plan, which involves an  application to the Big Lottery Fund for £400,000, would create two new positions: a  Business Co-ordinator earning £35,000 per year and a Volunteer Co-ordinator earning  £28,000. The problem has arisen because it is Hartlepool Borough Council itself which has applied  for funding from the Big Lottery Fund and because the fund insists that any new  employment positions generated through the application would therefore be direct  employees of the council. Employees of Hartlepool Borough Council are not allowed to  also be councillors of the authority. In the past, councillors have been employed by secondary organisations even though  those organisations may have been in receipt of council funding. Some, like Manor  Residents Association, have even received funding from the Big Lottery Fund but in  such cases it has been the secondary organisation itself which has applied for funding.  The Lottery Fund does not allow its grants to be re-directed to secondary organisations

jawsbbc

Waverley Terrace Allotment Project aims to expand over the next five years and is seeking £400,000 support from the Big Lottery Fund. 2015

Inspector Knacker

Would that be sufficient for a combine harvester, assorted tractors with attachments and the crop dusting aircraft ?
It's Waverley Terrace, not the Ponderosa.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

mk1

The bulk of the money is the wage for the 2 full time staff.

Inspector Knacker

I assume there'll be horticultural instructors  and how much would they be paid?

Inspector Knacker

The quoted salaries for the two 'co-or donators' seem very generous for the size of project.These projects should develop organically by natural progression and the need for such posts in my opinion are a mill stone around the projects neck. They become the cuckoos in the nest and a drain on the finances of such projects.... when the money should be going in at grass roots level.

akarjl

Quote from: Riddler5 on December 09, 2016, 07: AM
........the need for such posts in my opinion are a mill stone around the projects neck. They become the cuckoos in the nest and a drain on the finances of such projects.... when the money should be going in at grass roots level.

= Standard practice it would seem at the Kremlin.

steveL

Waverley Terrace Allotments is a decent enough scheme with decent enough aims but it lacks the same necessary control of the money surrounding it as Manor Residents. In addition, Cranney's championship of the scheme should be enough to alert anyone. Already, a whole lot of money has found its way to Waverley Allotments. It first attracted attention with a £75,000 cash injection from the council to build a fence around it.

Earlier this year, it received a £400,000 grant from the Lottery Fund, topped up with another £75,000 from the council, only for it to be revealed that the plans submitted to the Lottery Fund had forgotten to include a disabled toilet even though the scheme is specifically for the use of disabled people. Another £21,000 had to be raided from the council's Respite Care capital budget to build a toilet making £496,000.

That 400,000 Lottery Grant application covered the employment of two full-time staff for two years . Originally there was talk of one of the jobs going to the unemployable SAB but publicity on this site put an end to that. In the end, one of the jobs went to the guy who had been told to fix an interview for SAB with Mariner Care for the job of Manager. This was not long after he was sacked from his Newcastle job and we were all told by Stubbs that SAB's employment was a private matter and nothing to do with the council. In the end, SAB fluffed the interview anyway.

If the £10,000 is going towards the two salaries then it must be for the 3rd year.

On a lighter note, one of Cranney's stated reasons for the importance of the scheme is that it supplies free vegetables to the Cafe in the Cemetery

Personally, I think its a good scheme but I just wish HBC, its councillors and especially SAB and Cranney were nowhere near it.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Hartlepudlion

Stevel.
I thought only one post has been filled and that by an ex-council employee who had to resign from HBC to qualify. I don't know what position he was given but I am surprised he left a Council job for the uncertainty of a insecure grant funded job. Fishy?

As only one person has been appointed, where has the other job's funding monies gone?

Apart from the salaries, don't forget the on-costs - NI, pensions etc at least another 20%.

£10,000 won't contribute much to the salary costs so what is it for?

fred c

A question.......

Would Alan Sugar & his entrepreneurial panel award as much a penny to a Businessman who has around 20 failed businesses to his name ?

A different scenario.

In the public sector for instance, Councils don't appear to have any problems in funding all sorts of expensive proposals by a failed businessman.

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: steveL on December 09, 2016, 09: AM

On a lighter note, one of Cranney's stated reasons for the importance of the scheme is that it supplies free vegetables to the Cafe in the Cemetery

If that were true, why should it be supplied to a business instead of deserving groups or food banks ?

Land Phil

Is that why they won't release the accounts ?

Is it because the financially sensitive information is that the crem cafe is being propped up by free supplies, paid for through charity endeavours ?

Sounds dodgy to me. Then again what HBC venture doesn't ?

fred c

Every user of the post should use......(apologies I can't copy & paste the addy, but just google)

WhatDoTheyKnow

To make a Freedom of Information request about the Cafe in The Crem....... or Any Other, of the decisions HBC  don't want us to know about.

It's easy to use & they don't like the public 'pestering' them.

This time last year HBC's CEO said at a full council meeting..... "The accounts of the Inspirations Cafe"would be made available early in the new year........... 12 months later, we are still waiting.

Has HBC really got that bad, that it is almost impossible to find anyone who actually tells the truth within the Kremlin.

kevplumb

This time last year HBC's CEO said at a full council meeting..... "The accounts of the Inspirations Cafe"would be made available early in the new year........... 12 months later, we are still waiting.

ahh but did she say which new year ?
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment