3.2 million visitors a year?

Started by Inspector Knacker, November 10, 2016, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

Just to put this onto some context, we were under the guiding hand of the Lavender Hill Mob at the time. These sort of things were regularly being churned out from the land of make believe.
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

diSme

The article I posted specifically refers to the naval museum only, and was only published yesterday...
I believe everything and nothing

Johnny Bongo

'Vision Central' aka the Civic centre, aka 'The Viz' is responsible for all the tosh!   

Inspector Knacker

Under the Lavender Hill Mob this tosh was churned out on a regular basis and anything regarding statistics I assume was achieved by allowing an excitable chimp loose with a malfunctioning calculator to bang away at the keys till some numbers came up. The brains trust, who I imagine never mastered the black art of mathematics ('This adding up box.....tis the work of the Tories and electrickery I tell thee') were hardly in a position to make sense of anything involving numbers and 'hard sums'.
They appeared to work on the principle of throwing out lots of vague/wishful statistics and hoping those voters with the IQ of the average envelope would take it as Gospel, swallow it hook line and sinker and vote for them.
They appeared to dedicate themselves to blowing their own trumpet all the time in office. They did a bit of philosophical belching and pressed a few buttons and achieved nothing.
My only question is how they survived longer than a week.

Johnny Bongo

More than two thirds of staff and volunteers across all sites have been furloughed to help protect finances and people are being asked make cash donations online.
What about protecting people?

The museum in Hartlepool, a recreation of 18th Century seaport, gets 3.64 million visitors a year, generating over £182 million a year for the local economy.
By my reckoning, that's £50.55 for each of the 3.6 million visitors!  So roughly £425,000 a day at Hartlepool!  I might get Diane Abbott to check those figures, though.

You have to laugh at the bit from the Mail.  Is there any wonder why their circulation is at rock bottom.
A message from the Editor:
Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.
In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper.
Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.

diSme

Quote from: Johnny Bongo on May 02, 2020, 02: PM
More than two thirds of staff and volunteers across all sites have been furloughed to help protect finances and people are being asked make cash donations online.
What about protecting people?

The museum in Hartlepool, a recreation of 18th Century seaport, gets 3.64 million visitors a year, generating over £182 million a year for the local economy.
By my reckoning, that's £50.55 for each of the 3.6 million visitors!  So roughly £425,000 a day at Hartlepool!  I might get Diane Abbott to check those figures, though.

You have to laugh at the bit from the Mail.  Is there any wonder why their circulation is at rock bottom.
A message from the Editor:
Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.
In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper.
Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.
Exactly my point!

Journalism really isn't what it used to be. I suspect the so-called journalists rarely leave the office these days. They just parrot out whatever bull***t they are fed.
I believe everything and nothing

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: diSme on May 02, 2020, 03: PM

Exactly my point!

Journalism really isn't what it used to be. I suspect the so-called journalists rarely leave the office these days. They just parrot out whatever bull***t they are fed.
There is no journalism anymore, just a steady, stodgy diet of tittle tattle, the utterly banal and wishful thinking from afar. The North Korea Daily has more investigative journalism than anything you'll find in this town.
Trawling through the pages of our local press for local news is difficult to say the least, but hoping to find real news is now a pointless exercise. If it wasn't for social media we'd now be living in some Orwellian never land were meaningful investigative news /reporting was carefully avoided.