3.2 million visitors a year?

Started by Inspector Knacker, November 10, 2016, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inspector Knacker

According to the front of tonight's Mail we have 3.2 million visitors heading to the town annually, which equates to an average of 8767 visitors every day throughout the year.
Really?
What do they class as a 'visitor' ? People travelling through on the train in fact anyone who crosses the town boundary or even migrating birds?
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

akarjl

Don't forget the shoplifters who arrive then turn back when they realise there are mainly charity shops......

The Great Dictator

And they manage to spend over £400,000 a day ?

the_exile

Next they will be telling us Trump won the election.

What is more worrying about this article is the fact that the buffoons in the Civic Centre think that the Town will believe them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shame on you Hartlepool Mail for failing to even run a rudimentary arithmetical check of the wild claims.

The town is goosed

akarjl

It's is obvious that

Quote from: the_exile on November 10, 2016, 07: PMthe buffoons in the Civic Centre

don't actually care what anyone in the town thinks until they are wandering around aimlessly banging on doors at election time grovelling for votes.

How exactly do they "know" there have been 3.2 million visitors a year? Since when did we have border control on the A689 and 181 actually who's come in? Pure fantasy - actually a pack of lies they can not substantiate.

Very similar to claims often made about jobs "created" in the town by the various "agencies" Hartlepool is quickly turning into the land that time forgot.

Inspector Knacker

I want to know how this figure was arrived at. What data was used to give us this optimistic vision. I think it's important such figures can be justified and feel there should be open access to the process in greater depth so as to verify it's claims.
It's no good churning this stuff out and expecting us to take it at face value.

akarjl

Quote from: Riddler5 on November 11, 2016, 07: AM
I want to know how this figure was arrived at. What data was used to give us this optimistic vision. I think it's important such figures can be justified and feel there should be open access to the process in greater depth so as to verify it's claims.
It's no good churning this stuff out and expecting us to take it at face value.

Completely agree...then again I would also like to win the lottery.......until there is a thorough investigation of the antics at HBC nothing will happen. Maybe an email to BBC "Inside Out" - Chris Jackson chrisjackson@bbc.co.uksuggesting they do some research on this forum? ;) they could fill a whole program reporting on events at the Kremlin?

fred c

In 1 sentence STEAM quote 2.8 million visitors, in another the quote 3.2 million visitors, it isn't just the misinformation in the article that is troubling, it is the fact the Mail copy & paste techician didn't pick up on those glaring anomalies.

We had exactly the same misrepresentation of facts & figures after the 2010 Tall Stories, the Mail didn't pick up on any of those, what did hapen was that HBC under Drummond defended those figures, indeed  boasted about them both in the press & in the council chamber.

It is becoming more apparent every week that HBC are, for whatever reason supporting the policies of the ruling group in council, rather than managing the business of running Hartlepool for the people of Hartlepool.

Steely Dan

Can I ask why anybody even bothers to read The Mail anymore. I mean in paper form and web form.

steveL

There are so many assumptions and estimations involved in producing this data as to render it pretty much useless.

It's largely based on bed occupancy rates in local hotels and B&Bs and all 'occupants' are classed as tourists. One average national spend seems to be applied to all 'occupants' so the figure is influenced by genuine tourists visiting the likes of London, Edinburgh etc

The link below is worth a read if only to appreciate what a load of tosh it is in a Hartlepool context.

http://mediafiles.thedms.co.uk/Publication/LM/cms/pdf/STEAM%20OVERVIEW~%20Eng-Wal-NI.pdf
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

diSme

So, according to the Mail our beloved naval museum gets 3.64 million visitors a year, which equates to almost 10k visitors per day.......  ???

I'd be genuinely surprised if it took even 10% of those numbers.

My question, similar to what has been posed earlier in the thread, where do these figures come from?

I believe everything and nothing

Grumblstiltskin

They really should start drugs testing the idiots that write/publish this obvious rubbish

Inspector Knacker

The figure equated to roughly 8,500 visitors a day, every day of the year which stretches credulity to new limits. I can only assume they include passenger aircraft flying over the towns airspace and migrating birds and probably the daily evening Amsterdam ferry if it enters Hartlepool's territorial waters.

Lucy Lass-Tick

If my memory's correct, 'visitors' to the Marina area included the likes of everyone who's popped into Asda for a newspaper ....

Nice

Im sure the figures also include anyone from outside of Hartlepool who comes into town for shopping etc eg my sister who travels from Peterlee to shop at Morrison's