Jobs Indeed

Started by steveL, October 22, 2016, 01: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveL

It's one thing to blame immigrants for taking all of the jobs but the reality is very different. I hark back to a couple of months ago and Michael Heseltine's road to Damascus moment when compiling his latest report - this time for Teesside following the SSI closure. The main thing that struck Heseltine was that there were more people of working age in the area than there were jobs - not vacancies, mind you, but the total number of positions of employment.

With that in mind, I stuck together the list of Hartlepool vacancies showing up on the Indeed site which has a feed on the Front page. This is what's currently on offer - eat your heart out Surbiton:

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

not4me

Is it any wonder people complain of being 'left behind'? All I see in the main are jobs working behind a counter and some of those look like they are temporary Christmas jobs. The so-called 'Vision' with its emphasis on hotel, bar and retail work isn't going to change anything either.

steveL

It would help if the spin was extracted out of things. One of the most annoying claims is that the area has one of the highest business start-up rates in the country. In different circumstances that would be a good thing but the reality is that the high number of start-ups is directly related to the chronic shortage of jobs. One thing the spin doesn't tell us is that the business failure rate is also one of the country's highest as inexperienced 'entrepreneurs', lacking any sort of solid financial backing quickly fall flat on their ar**.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

DRiddle

It'll be interesting to see, following Brexit and the current political climate in the North East, what NISSAN decide regarding production of their new car next month.

Is it a good time commit billions of pounds worth of investment into the North East of a country about to leave the biggest trading economy of the planet, if you're a foreign multi national company?

Time will tell.

seaton

What jobs would you expect to see ? There isn't a major employer in Hartlepool apart from the Council.
In a recent survey, the average wage in Chichester, an affluent area, 2 hours from London is £20k, the average house price is £350000 !

BresslawoffoftheBunker

I see a decent set of jobs there.   

kevplumb

Quote from: BresslawoffoftheBunker on October 22, 2016, 11: PM
should have gone to specsavers
A councillor is an elected representative of their ward, not their political party!
Councils need communities but communities don't need councils
Party politics have no place in local goverment

Lord Elpus

Quote from: BresslawoffoftheBunker on October 22, 2016, 11: PM

I wonder if you'd say the same thing if you were aware of some terms and conditions, how many are 16 to 20 hours, hows many are zero hour contracts, how many offer a wage and security to enable a young family to pay a modest mortgage and survive.

I feel for young adults in this area, little wonder so many on our most talented young adults leave and never come back.

I real irony is HBC Economic Development Dept would see encouraging such jobs to the area as a success.  I see it very differently.

Land Phil

I agree with th above, most jobs in Hartlepool are ones that mean you still need benefits to survive.

Plus I know a number of young'ish tradesmen that have no hope of buying one of the houses they help build.

It is a hopeless situation.

BresslawoffoftheBunker

So, in a town like Hartlepool what jobs would you expect to see advertised?
Be realistic

Land Phil

The reality is Hartlepool has missed out on attracting any on the major employers that have come to the area over the last umpteen decades.

We have a port and rail links which makes it unforgivable

BresslawoffoftheBunker

I asked what jobs would one expect, not what jobs would be available if the industries that should be here aren't here.

Lord Elpus

Quote from: BresslawoffoftheBunker on October 23, 2016, 11: AM
So, in a town like Hartlepool what jobs would you expect to see advertised?
Be realistic

Good question, in a dog eat dog world one would expect these sort of dead end jobs.  However, we have seen millions of pounds worth of grants and schemes which were supposed to promote employers to come to towns like Hartlepool.  Few have every delivered anything worth having.

We have been a safe Labour town for over 50 years yet even when Mandy (Carpet Bagging turd) was our MP we were ignored.

HBC have an economic development dept, it seems to me if we sacked the lot of them we'd be no worse off.

steveL

As I have said before, Hartlepool is almost unique within the North East in not having any Government department jobs.

Washington: DWP Pension Office
Middlesbrough: HMRC, dWP Benefits Office
Stockton: Universal Credit Centre
Seaham: DWP Pension Office
Durham: Land Registry, Passport Office
Darlington: Student Loans
Newcastle: Longbenton DWP Centre (10,000 jobs), HMRC, DWP Regional Office

The Great Dictator

Before a company invests in a town they look at factors like crime and available workforce in that area.

We have high unemployment here but a low reliable workforce.

If an employer creates a rolling shift pattern he needs people to turn up for work hopefully on time.

When you look closely at our 5000 unemployed you will find that a large proportion have drink, drug, discipline or some form of mental illness.

Then look at the % of either lazy folk or those that prefer moonlighting or even lazy-itis.

The 5000 is now 500 hence the next Nissan or Hitachi will look elsewhere.

Our bright young students will go to university and not return, you can't blame the council for that either.

Like most of the North East we are a holding town for the old, lazy and uneducated, many of our adults can barely read or write.

Thats why we are left with no facilities like Hospitals, Courts and a proper newspaper.

I would hate to be around in 50 years, god help us  :'(