Local Elections - May 5th

Started by Foggy, April 08, 2016, 05: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foggy

So the candidates have been printed in the Fail I see.

Some interesting possibilities there with the usual scattering of Wells relatives.  ::)  There is a lack of PHF candidates but I suspect they have gone for quality over quantity.  I hope that's the case.

Low numbers of candidates in some wards which I hope turns out to be a good thing. Unfortunately I have no choice but to vote UKIP.  I have no issue voting for Darren Price but it will kill me to vote for the party.  I would literally have no idea who to vote for in most of the other wards though to be honest.

Land Phil

Surprisingly little opposition to the SCABS.

I see the wandering Robbie i.e. trying yet again.

Foggy

Yes, its interesting that he isn't standing in Seaton this time.  Looks like he's gone for a 'safer' Labour ward.

The unfortunate thing is that it is looking likely that it will be UKIP who could give Labour a run for their money in some wards.  This is not ideal but if they get a few seats all we can hope for is that they behave like proper councillors, unlike the two we have  been lumbered with.

We all know the Tories are paper candidates so it looks like people in Foggy Furze and Manor House will be left with a choice of UKIP or a SCAB  :-\

for fawkes sake

I was surprised to hear that PHF were fielding only one candidate this year but having now read the full list a penny has dropped. Has anyone else had the same thought?
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

The Great Dictator

I thought PHF were taking over the world, looks like the pioneers of politics have already lost their bottle.

beanzontoast

Some interesting comments on this topic, No choice but to vote UKIP , surprisingly little opposition to the SCABS, iv`e got to say judging by all the derogatory comments on this forum over the years regarding the Labour controlled council, and in particular the SCABS  when you are given a golden opportunity to put your pen where it can maybe just maybe solve that itch you have been scratching, you have to be dragged kicking and screaming to vote for the only party that has a chance of doing just that. There have been those working behind the scenes for  just such a two horse race in May.

Foggy

Oh believe me if a couple UKIP candidates manage to unseat a couple of SCABS in May I will be over the moon.  It doesn't mean I will immediately start thinking UKIP is the answer...... to anything. 

I'll say it again.... I will be 100% voting for the person not the party.  I happen to think that one or two of the UKIP candidates will make good Councillors as I get the impression that they will do what they are elected for, rather than sitting there like a couple of bookends.

mk1

I see UKIP  as a means to an end rather than the end itself. UKIP are a party of the far-right and are not going to solve any problems in Hartlepool. If I though for a moment I was voting them into a position of power then I would not vote for them. I see them as a way of showing the Labour Group how low they have sunk so the can dump the ScABs. The 2 sitting UKIP councillors are a complete waste of space.

beanzontoast

Well a means to an end, common purpose, tactical voting, I can go for that,you may have noticed Foggy Furze could prove to be an interesting ward it`s a two horse race UKIP & labour and one of those irritations could be gone, as for the 2 UKIP councillors it`s all about numbers let`s take an example Johnathan Brash he was an exceptional orator in a debate and yet on three seperate occasions a very sound and robust case put forward for the removal of the Mayor SAB resulted in all 3 occasions being voted down by Labour, this was with UKIP, PHF, and INDEPENDANTS voting for him to go it is of course democracy and i would not have it any other way but it is extreemly frustrating and difficult on those councillors from any party when they don`t have the numbers, that can make all the difference.

Lord Elpus

Quote from: beanzontoast on April 11, 2016, 09: PM
Well a means to an end, common purpose, tactical voting, I can go for that,you may have noticed Foggy Furze could prove to be an interesting ward it`s a two horse race UKIP & labour and one of those irritations could be gone, as for the 2 UKIP councillors it`s all about numbers let`s take an example Johnathan Brash he was an exceptional orator in a debate and yet on three seperate occasions a very sound and robust case put forward for the removal of the Mayor SAB resulted in all 3 occasions being voted down by Labour, this was with UKIP, PHF, and INDEPENDANTS voting for him to go it is of course democracy and i would not have it any other way but it is extreemly frustrating and difficult on those councillors from any party when they don`t have the numbers, that can make all the difference.

What cobblers, within any Council within the UK the party with the majority will always get their own way.  That does not mean that the opposition have to sit there like two tins of condensed milk.  Hind and Springer have not got a clue and have shown a lack of back bone and the bottle to fight for the issues they say they stand for, watch any recording of Council meeting, prove me wrong.

steveL

QuoteWell a means to an end, common purpose, tactical voting, I can go for that,you may have noticed Foggy Furze could prove to be an interesting ward it`s a two horse race UKIP & labour and one of those irritations could be gone, as for the 2 UKIP councillors it`s all about numbers let`s take an example Johnathan Brash he was an exceptional orator in a debate and yet on three seperate occasions a very sound and robust case put forward for the removal of the Mayor SAB resulted in all 3 occasions being voted down by Labour, this was with UKIP, PHF, and INDEPENDANTS voting for him to go it is of course democracy and i would not have it any other way but it is extreemly frustrating and difficult on those councillors from any party when they don`t have the numbers, that can make all the difference.

I was at these debates and the bit that BoT forgets to mention is that the two UKIPPERS sat on their hands and said absolutely nothing - just like they did on the 4% council tax increase. In both cases, they did what they usually do and left all the work to others. BoT (Tom Hind) made his view known very soon after he was elected; that if you don't have a majority in the council chamber then you can't change anything so there's no point in trying. So George and him sit there waiting for the day when they have 17 UKIP Councillors and hoping one of the other 15 is capable of cognitive thought.When the great day arrives, UKIP will propose their very first motion for Hartlepool to leave the EU and for border controls to be installed at Newton Bewley.

Since first being elected, neither of the UKIP Councillors have proposed a single motion, put forward a single amendment or put forward any decent argument against anything Labour were doing. Even when Brash offered them the chance of debating what the council's stance on the EU should be they voted against it in fear of coming up against Brash.

Quoteyou have to be dragged kicking and screaming to vote for the only party that has a chance of doing just that. There have been those working behind the scenes for  just such a two horse race in May.

I asked Darren Price directly that when it comes to the referendum in June which way he would be voting. His reply was that he'd be voting to stay in and then added voluntarily that he thought that, on balance, immigration to the UK 'was a good thing'- both answers something of a contradiction with UKIP's raison d'etre.

Hind has persuaded Price that simply by adding his own previous PHF vote to the UKIP vote under the UKIP banner he can take the Foggy Furze seat from CAB. Neither Hind nor Price see the fact that Price doesn't actually believe in anything that UKIP stand for as a problem - which says much about both.

My view is that replacing one unprincipled bastard with another doesn't amount to much in the way of progress. 
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

not4me

Quote from: beanzontoast on April 11, 2016, 09: PM

Looks like their 2nd proposal will be to ban the use of sentences.

Lord Elpus

It's just very long sentence, Capital letter at the start and full stop at the end.

Compared to Evelyn Leck (UKIP Candidate for Burn Valley) Hind is a veritable scholar.  (As only Evelyn and say, 'you know what I mean like').

I'd like to think that thinks can only get better but I'm of the opinion they might even get worse.

testing times

As things stand, it looks like I will not be voting at all this time around which is a novel situation for me. There is no PHF candidate standing in my ward this year and I would never vote for a party as morally repugnant as UKIP who now seem to be relying on others having as few principles as themselves.

The interesting question is what are UKIP going to talk about on June 24th because, one way or the other, the EU question will be answered by then? That only leaves them with immigration and the option of dropping back to their fascist roots where they always truly belonged.

Alnwickist

Link anyone please for the list.