Under Developed Land

Started by 94994, June 16, 2014, 11: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

One thing that strikes me as a little odd with all the pubs that are being rapidly bought up, knocked down and redeveloped as houses/flats or more often Greggs/Spar shops is how the Brus was pretty much the first to be knocked down yet it's never been developed.

Does anyone know if there is a a particular reason for the inactivity?

ashamedtobebritish

I think the Brus Arms site has been earmarked for the new "Local Plan" to put houses on it.

Shame aswell as it was a beautiful building that should have been saved not demolished.

Typical hartlepool, if it looks old "knock it down".

It was a lovely building. If I'd had the money I'd have bought it purely to save it.

Seems odd that it's been stood as a vacant site for such a long time when the planning apps have gone through on others fairly sharpish and the work completed though eh?

seaton

Quote from: 0094994 on June 17, 2014, 07: AM
It was a lovely building. If I'd had the money I'd have bought it purely to save it.

Seems odd that it's been stood as a vacant site for such a long time when the planning apps have gone through on others fairly sharpish and the work completed though eh?

What would you have done with it ? the pub was not in line with what type of pub people are looking for. The theme today is a Family Pub serving meals and a play area for the kids.

The same company has bought and redeveloped most of the defunct pubs and petrol stations and apart from the Powlett built flats/shops.The market is now saturated with flats,they appear to have ceased building them now. The Brus is only a small plot and will not accommodate many houses like wise the other sites so flats were the answer.

If I'd had the money to buy it I wouldn't have needed to do anything with it, could have run it at a loss or just closed it and lived in it.

We're talking lottery win type money here.

The King Oswy would have been more realistic as a goer if it was feasible to put a proper kitchen in.

I actually looked into the cost of doing that and building a beer garden/playground on. Numbers were feasible but a huge risk. I think the previous tenants all missed the trick on not serving a carvery type proposition with a church over the road and making no attempt to link in with the local community.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda...

Wish I'd tried TBH.

ashamedtobebritish

I agree

The King Oswy pub with the right people running it would have been a little Goldmine, it needed someone who just wasnt goint to cater just for its regulars and needed good ideas to bring in business. I thought when the Brus Arms closed the King Oswy would have sucked up most of the Brus's trade, but the people who had it didnt seem to do anything to try and entise people in.

Serving good food would have been a warm welcome to that pub (Sunday Dinners) more events on a bank holidays to utalise the land there, but no one who took the pub on seemed to be bothered.

They were just after making a quick buck, run it into the ground, and you have the results of its demise now stood.

Another empty building soon to be demolished for housing.

Shame

The Great Dictator

Breweries are not investing in old pubs, just new ones.

The king oswy was a big loser when i lived over there 40 years ago.

one direction

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/index.html

This lists the following pubs as closed in Hartlepool......missing a few I think......

Brus Arms         West View Road.    
Golden Flatts         Brenda Road. Now demolished and replaced by housing.    
Headland Gate    Northgate.    
Kirkham         South Crescent
Lion Hotel        Lancaster Road.    
New Alma         Whitby Road. Previously known as The Brewer & Firkin.    
New Fleece         Northgate. Now demolished and replaced by housing.    
Quaysider         49 Northgate.    
Queen         Warren Road.    
Ryedale Moor Hotel         3 Beaconsfield Street.    
Shakespeare         Catcote Road. Now demolished.    
Stranton Hotel         Stockton Street.    
Sun Inn         Durham Street.

SRMoore

The Quaysider on Northgate is still open. Albeit under the name of Gaiteys, but still open as I enjoyed a pint of Coors there on Saturday.

steveL

Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

stokoe

stranton hotel is still a going concern if it aint i have been drinking with ghosts  :o also very shortly its getting a facelift for the breweries purpose,camerons is doing well, and they have purchased pubs in the last year or so. even it aint in hartlepool.

Sanddancer

I firmly believe that Greene King is trying   slowly to close down The Raby Arms in Hart Village...Admittedly PART of the building is listed but take away the listed part and you are left with a rather large potential in buildings which could be demolished and a massive car park. Developers are already trying to build around it so think what it could fetch in today's market.
The pub itself is badly in need of refurbishment and a good clean up which just is not happening. Business seems to dying and I wonder how deliberate this is!! :

seaton

Quote from: Sanddancer on June 28, 2014, 08: PM
I firmly believe that Greene King is trying   slowly to close down The Raby Arms in Hart Village...Admittedly PART of the building is listed but take away the listed part and you are left with a rather large potential in buildings which could be demolished and a massive car park. Developers are already trying to build around it so think what it could fetch in today's market.
The pub itself is badly in need of refurbishment and a good clean up which just is not happening. Business seems to dying and I wonder how deliberate this is!! :

The Raby Arms could be a tenanted place and all costs for any improvements are generally down to the tenant. It also has competition from the Tall Ships even though the drinks are cheaper in the Raby Arms
Another pub which is run down is the Schooner in Seaton, this a tenanted place and internally the only thing that has changed over the years is the decor. It has had numerous tenants but to be honest needs closing down and gutting which no tenant could afford to do, it's also expensive for drinks. I used the place when I lived there and over the years the patronage has declined dramatically. It sits on a large plot and would be an ideal building plot

Sanddancer

The Raby Arms is a managed house with 3 new incumbents in the last two years since John and Elsa Goddard left.