Something I have noticed

Started by Sunken Ships, May 02, 2012, 08: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunken Ships

I have only been a member of this forum for a couple of weeks, but have read it for a couple of months before joining.

There seems to be opinion from a few posters that if you vote Labour then it is solely because your father did and his father etc but there's never any time given to the possibility that people may actually agree with their policies and they way they implement them in the town.

Why do people always suggest that people are stupid or sheep for voting Labour? Given the consistently high amount of votes they've received over the last few decades surely there is something more to their success?

Full disclosure, this post comes from someone who last voted for the Labour party back in 1997 when Blair promised the world and delivered nothing (although there was an occasion where I may have voted for a Labour candidate in the council elections a few years later, I can't fully remember).

Inspector Knacker

Quote from: Sunken Ships on May 02, 2012, 08: PM

Why do people always suggest that people are stupid or sheep for voting Labour? Given the consistently high amount of votes they've received over the last few decades surely there is something more to their success?

There are University research departments working on that one and there's still no sign of a breakthrough as to why. 
What can be asserted without proof,
can be dismissed without proof.

steveL

A woman on the Central Estate complained to me about the lousy bus service she now has. I asked her who she voted for last time - Labour.

The bus subsidy which was recently removed by the Labour dominated Council she voted for was £300,000 , less than half the Connected Care contract awarded to Manor Residents offshoot Who Cares NE. That organisation is run by a Labour Councillor who let her own dog starve to death and another Labour Councillor who was once described by the Department of Trade and Industry as being so incompetent as a Director that they took court action to have him banned from holding any Directorship for any company for five years.

Amongst other services they offer, is to allow unvetted people into people's houses to pick up prescriptions which are then picked up and delivered. This is the same service offered entirely free by just about every Pharmacy in town.

So I asked her who she intended voting for this time - Labour.

I guess some people just don't get it.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Straight Talking

SteveL
What a shame the old lady was not for turning.

With regard to the Connected Care Contract your facts are wrong - The two amounts are approximately the same as the contract is for 2 years.

Also I think it would be fair to point out that the contract is paid in arrears so is based on meeting targets and achieving outcomes.

The Great Dictator

steveL

Quote from: Straight Talking on May 03, 2012, 02: PM
SteveL
What a shame the old lady was not for turning.

With regard to the Connected Care Contract your facts are wrong - The two amounts are approximately the same as the contract is for 2 years.

Also I think it would be fair to point out that the contract is paid in arrears so is based on meeting targets and achieving outcomes.

She wasn't old - why did you assume that?

And the reason that the Connected Care contract is paid in arrears is that the Council Officers didn't like the fact that it didn't go out to tender and know exactly what Manor Residents is all about.

One of the more useful things to come out of attending the count last night was the number of labour councillors having quiet words with me and generally encouraging us to see the Manor Residents thing through.

I could sum it up like this: "It's about time those four f*c*ers were sorted out before they bring the whole Labour group down with them.

I hear you're now trying to kick Brash out because he's gone after the Commissioners job - soon there'll only be the four of you left - and a few sheep in the pen, of course. 
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

christine blakey

It is not doing anything talking about concerns on here.

People who have concerns should do the right thing and report them.

Then it will all come out in the wash as if concerns are replicated through a number of complainents, they will have no choice but to thoroughly investigate.

If only one or two people complain, they will be picked off individually.

Word of caution though:  It may be that the community group/Member/Officer/resident is innocent. So it might be that the investigations show that the comments are not warranted and I am sure that apologies should not be missed out.

No matter what, I know what it is like to see false information about me on here, so can people consider that it might be better to investigate first?

steveL

Christine, I know your heart is in the right place but ...........

notinshadow

But....your heads in a shed!!

christine blakey

Ah Steve, I am just noting that sometimes we have to consider that it might be hype.  We need to ask the right questions and face to face. 

You're right my heart is in the right place, as I don't think it is right to slate on this site and then to let it carry on regardless in actual terms.  I don't think it does HTH any good either!

steveL

When you ask a sitting Councillor face-to-face if you could discuss something with her and her immediate response is 'talk to my solicitor' would you say that person has something to hide?

christine blakey

The allegations are serious so I am sure someone would jump if confronted without any warning. 

This kind of thing should really be discussed privately.

notinshadow

Why privately, that's my money, they have it and I don't have any, so I want to know how my money is being spent by them.

mk1

The problem Christine is you have gotten too close to your food.
Personal connection is blinding you to the reality behind the smile and all the glad-handing.
You need to keep your distance from a politician. They have perfected the art of nodding attentively and saying they  understand/can help you and then forgetting all about you when they see the next opportunity for self enrichment.
I am sure Angie is a very caring person but I am equally sure she cares more about her own clan than anything else. She has perfected the art of distributing crumbs to the masses. Whilst the simpering admirers scrabble about dividing up the 10% she gives away her close intimates engorge themselves on the remaining 90%.
I am sure close scrutiny of the  contracts awarded by her organisation would throw up more examples of friends getting fat on our money.

You should put aside any  notion that you are a friend. You are being played and  you do not get that far up the greasy pole without being able to fake sincerity.

notinshadow

What a good post and there is a leason there for all of us.