UKIP and the NHS

Started by for fawkes sake, November 26, 2014, 01: AM

Previous topic - Next topic

for fawkes sake

The 2012 video of Nigel Farage calling for a system of private medical insurance in order to fund the NHS has been dismissed as out-of-date and not UKIP policy. So I thought I would post the letter from UKIP's Deputy Leader, Paul Nuttal MEP from just six months ago and, just in case I'm accused of mis-quoting him, the image is a screenshot of his own web page which he has since deleted.

If you click on the image it increases to a more readable size.

So we have the Leader of UKIP, just two years ago, calling for a system of private medical insurance to fund the NHS and now the Deputy Leader of UKIP calling for the NHS to be scrapped altogether as recently as six months ago.

Increasingly it looks like the word 'Policy' to UKIP does not mean what UKIP members actually believe but what they think they need to say to the electorate in order to win votes - a philosophy which Mr Broughton demonstrated admirably on Monday night..

"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

grim reaper

It has recently been announced that another £700 million is to be handed to the NHS. That is, obviously, on top of the billions already budgeted to run the service.

Everybody you speak to knows of a horror story regarding hospitals and GP services in the UK. It has gone past breaking point.
Throwing money at it doesn't help because it gets absorbed into managerial tiers and they (Foster et al) spend it via hare-brained pie in the sky schemes; new hospitals, new offices, flash cars and expenses.
Meanwhile nurses get a 1% pay rise because they "Can't afford to pay any more".
Whilst I wouldn't want a scheme anything like resembling the American system, our NHS simply can't go on being a bottomless pit for billions of pounds.

I believe it is time to sit down and rethink how the NHS can be made to provide the health service we need. Maybe it is time to stop paying national Insurance to the Govt. and pay it to a non-profit organisation. The Govt. can then pay a stipulated amount (via our taxes) each year to the organisation.

Mad? Richard Branson offered to run the National Lottery at no charge, so the will is there.
No matter what, the NHS HAS to be overhauled. It didn't run under Labour (they gave the GPs massive wage rises and let them stop weekend cover and started the closure of our hospital and many others across the country), and it obviously isn't running under the Tories.

Both Spain & France have schemes that certainly offer the public better care than the NHS currently does. Why not look at theirs and cherry-pick what would suit us?

There ought to be an open debate and not just repeating "It's our NHS, you can't touch it". It has to redesigned for the 21st century...we're not in the 1940's.
P. Broughton dropped a hell of a clanger on Monday, no wonder he left early. He was either badly advised or naive in the extreme.
How could he state, if elected, he would bring our hospital back?!!!
The issue was saving our hospital, not a UKIP election speech. That will cost him in the polls.

Oh yes, just to keep mk1 happy......immigrants, mooslems & yourope.
That'll save him coming on here saying that what I meant all along.

beanzontoast

What an exellent, awesome, and  inspired comment from Grim Reaper, the NHS needs reform or it will collapse, the motor car industry has moved on since the model T ,we have better engines designs and better materials to build with,  those who can't see the NHS can't go on indefinitely as it is, can't be reading any newspaper's, I have noticed a gripe at UKIP regarding the privatisation of the NHS, MK1 can't have noticed Gordon Brown privatised it year's ago when he introduced PFI that's where you get the £200 to change a light bulb,