How more pathetic can our elected representatives be?

Started by Wilton, May 08, 2013, 06: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilton

'A SENIOR councillor has lodged an official complaint after accusing another member of "wholly inappropriate behaviour" following a council meeting.

Conservative group leader Ray Wells has complained to Hartlepool Borough Council's chief solicitor about the conduct of Putting Hartlepool First councillor, Geoff Lilley, following last week's meeting of the full council.

Coun Lilley has admitted using "Anglo-Aaxon" language in the aftermath of the meeting, which was to decide which councillors sat on which committees and outside bodies.

The incident happened in the underground car park of the Civic Centre.

It comes as Coun Lilley has stood down as leader of Putting Hartlepool First, but he said the two are not related and that group members had been thinking about the change for several months.

The four members are Labour councillors Robbie Payne, Carl Richardson and Stephen Akers-Belcher and Conservative group leader Ray Wells despite recommendations from chief solicitor Peter Devlin that the fourth position should go to an independent councillor or member of Putting Hartlepool First.Following last week's meeting, Coun Lilley was unhappy that Putting Hartlepool First had missed out on a seat on the Cleveland Fire Authority.

Coun Wells said: "At this stage I can only confirm that Coun Lilley acted in a wholly inappropriate manner after last Thursday's full council meeting.

"I have reported the matter to the chief solicitor, I have been questioned by the chair of the council over the same incident and it is my understanding that the matter will now be taken forward under the new standards regime.

"It would be wrong of me to speak further at this time."

Coun Lilley said: "Strong words were expressed.

"I used basic Anglo-Saxon language because I wanted to make sure Coun Wells understood where I was coming from. It is now in the hands of the borough solicitor."

Meanwhile, it has been confirmed that the leadership of Putting Hartlepool First will be taken on by councillor Alison Lilley, with Coun Geoff Lilley taking on the role of party spokesman.

Coun Alison Lilley said: "It is a huge privilege to serve the people of Fens and Rossmere Ward and the whole of Hartlepool as the leader of the only political party in the town which has the will and the number of seats to even attempt to provide any effective checks or balances to the Labour dominance in Hartlepool Civic Centre."

Coun Geoff Lilley said: "I felt there were better people to take on the leadership role and relinquishing it allows me to get on with what I do best, being an outspoken and indeed dare I say sometimes contentious spokesperson for the party and the people of Hartlepool."

Party chairman, Colin McClelland said: "The reality is that change is coming, in next year's local elections Putting Hartlepool First will again be contesting every seat and seeking to unseat councillors who put themselves or their parties first and replace them with new councillors who will put Hartlepool First." '

So we have Labour who kick out anyone fit to make decisions but back those who leave a trail of destruction and break the rules.

We have a tory, who isn't a tory but runs off to teacher when someone swears at him, and a PHF leader who can't moderate his temper.

All in all the politicians in Hartlepool are a sorry bunch who mostly would be out on their ears if tales of such childish behaviour didn't make people think stuff this.

tankerville

It would seem the shoe is now on the other foot Cllr Wells thought he was the 'big man' when he threatened Ian Campbell for posting Save our Hospital Leaflets around the Park Ward but upset him off he goes like the whining little girl he is.

These people don't live in the real world I have had a stand up fight with someone at work called each other all names under the sun shook hands had a cup of tea and a smoke over with done and forgotten.

Swearing is the norm just stand outside any school and listen to the foul mouthed parents waiting for their foul mouthed offspring.

Sometimes Go Away is not enough to get the message across F**K OFF always works.

mk1

Is Shane going to be asked to  back the Wells version of events?

Wilton

I agree Tankerville, arguments get heated in the real world all the time. If I complained or was complained about everytime bad words or mild threats were used I'd have no time to do anything.

When we have grown men acting like this (not the passionate arguing so much) and telling tales instead of being grown up enough to take it on the chin and prove the other person was wrong in a professional manner it doesn't make people like me want to vote for anyone.

SRMoore

Are you asking me to, MK1?

I believe the issue has been resolved anyway. Geoff apologised and life goes on.

Lord Elpus

Quote from: SRMoore on May 08, 2013, 09: PM

I believe the issue has been resolved anyway. Geoff apologised and life goes on.

'Geoff Apologised' really! is that what you've been told.  I know for certain Cllr G Lilley did not apologise.

SRMoore

Quote from: Lord Elpus on May 08, 2013, 09: PM
Quote from: SRMoore on May 08, 2013, 09: PM

'Geoff Apologised' really! is that what you've been told.  I know for certain Cllr G Lilley did not apologise.

I was led to believe Geoff admitted using said language to Mr Devlin and accepted that it may not have been acceptable behaviour. That's good enough for me to put it to bed and move on. Wouldn't you agree?

Lord Elpus

steveL

In these days of cuts and austerity, this is way too much unnecessary administration.

It would have been a lot more efficienct and less time time consuming if he had simply decked the poisonous little dwarf.  ::)
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Wilton

Decking needs to go out to tender unless you have the right trustees.

steveL

A couple of weeks ago, CAB was doing the rounds in the Civic preaching the need for everyone to work together. Some people, including Lilley, were almost convinced.

Last Thursday night, everyone got to see the 'new' CAB in action and it turned out to be identical to the old 'CAB'.

The Tories, with just 3 Councillors, secured 1 Chair and 2 Vice-Chairs of Committees with Labour support and, depspite the Chief solicitor's advice that, to comply with rules of proprtionality, the last seat on the Fire Authority should go to an Independent or PHF Councillor, Labour all voted for Ray Wells - sticking 2 fingers up at Peter Devlin in the process.

This is all because Labour see PHF as its biggest threat and act accordingly. As a result, despite having 2 more councillors than the Tories, PHF have no Chairs of Committees and no Vice-Chairs.

Brash and Hargreaves did even worse. Despite their experience, Labour wasn't content to deny them any Chairs or Vice-Chairs but had decided that they wouldn't been be allowed to sit on any committees at all. It's not often that you get to see spite on this sort of scale.

So blatant was the lack of proportionality, made worse than by the decison to ignore the Chief Solicitor's guidance, that Lilley decided to sacrifice a seat on the Finance and Policy Committee to Brash.

Afterwards, Lilley, who had another appointment straight after the council meeting, found his exit from the Civic blocked by Wells who sarcasticly said to him that he hoped the two 'could still work together' - repeating the same sh**e that CAB had come up with a couple of weeks before.

English is a versatile language, but few would disagree that the most appropriate two words at that moment were f*c* OFF.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

fred c

The worrying consequences from this meeting is that "The Mob" feel they are above accepting the Advice of the councils Senior Legal Officer, that doesn`t bode well for the future.

As for the "Spat" what was Cllr Wells thinking when approaching Cllr Lilley ??? he surely wasn`t expecting a handshake from the Big Fella, he was obviously taking the P**s & got what he deserved & he should have been man enough to have left it in the carpark.

Lord Elpus

Re the wedding, always good to hear of a happy event, I wish them every happiness.

I wonder who the bridesmaids will be. 

It could be the gay wedding of the year.

SRMoore

Steve, still repeating the same old spin that was previously busted I see.

It is well known that until PHF came along Independent councillors were always classed as 1+1+1+1 when it came to fishing out committee places. A fact that PHF acknowledge and used as one of the reasons for forming a new Independent' group, so that their councillors would be grouped together.

Suddenly, when Peter Devlin decides HBC should recognise independents as one group, you are happy to ignore the rules because it suddenly suits your argument against the Tories.

The last two places on the Fire Authority should (using the normal rules) have gone to PHF & the Conservatives. The first place effectively being between S Akers-Belcher & G Lilley, the Second place between R Wells and K Fisher. Yet none of your venom is directed at S Akers-Belcher, just the Tories and Ray - It's becoming quite obsessive.

As for the altercation in the car park, I believe Ray asked if Geoff would appeal the decision, not 'lets work together'. And it wasn't the fact that Geoff swore at him that caused offence, it was the threat of violence which followed. (Which you seem to encourage)
I see no mention or apology has been made to me for driving a car at me, either. What the hell I did I don't know!

steveL

Talk to the Hand, Shane. Well's credibility is already shot. The only remaining issue here is whether you want your own to follow suit.