Where were you?

Started by whatabouthisthen, April 25, 2013, 04: PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whatabouthisthen

I went along to the Inquiry this morning as an observer as I wasn't ready to submit any information.
I was utterly underwhelmed by the non-presence of the public as I was the only one there.
However, I started chatting with Mr Mitchell and I eventually ended up discussing the Inquiry with him. A few pointers were given and accepted.
I expressed the doubt over the security of emails and the venue. He doesn't believe confidentiality will be compromised and, as he pointed out, he has to work with what HBC gives him. He is now alert to these concerns. He does have a separate room where he can discuss your submissions without being observed but you are advised to book this in advance.
I strongly recommend that you participate in this inquiry because, without you, it will come to nothing. I did say that many people saw him as a stooge of the Councillors. He assured me that he isn't and I believe him. I think he will do a good job and will not be fobbed off.
BUT WITHOUT YOUR HELP IN POINTING HIM IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION HE CAN DO NOTHING. YOUR INPUT IS ESSENTIAL

Obviously, he would prefer as much detail as you can give him. He will, however, listen to your experiences/concerns particularly if you have been directed affected.

Note: he would prefer to work within the allotted hours but, if there is no other alternative, he may see you out of hours.

Give the guy a chance and I hope I don't have to ask again "Where were you?"

Stig of the Seaton Dump

I am still working so I have enough money to pay my council tax  ;)

I'll compose what I know over the weekend and pass it on.
I must admit what I do know is based on this web site over the last year.

It would be good if people do leave a little note here to say they have contacted him just to know some effort has been made.
I don't believe it.

rabbit

It would be good if people do leave a little note here to say they have contacted him just to know some effort has been made.

GOOD IDEA,

Better to leave this (or another purpose built) thread clear for such notes rather than clutter it up with rumours and such like.

The Great Dictator

Lets hope the know alls on this site will contribute to the enquiry.

fred c

I e-mailed Mr Mitchell on Wednesday with concerns about Councillors who are also Directors, Trustees or Employees of Charity / Voluntary organisations having the opportunity to appear before him as members of the Charity / Voluntary sector & also having the opportunity to appear again as Councillors.

I`m not sure he had thought of that possibility, but it doesn`t seem right that they should have 2 bites of the Cherry.

I rang the lady on reception this morning & there were was only 1 person booked in to see Mr Mitchell..... I do intend to make an appointment & pop along & raise my concerns, not sure what he will be looking for by way of evidence ????? a lot of the concerns are in the Peer Groups Report & on the HBC website.

It may be a good idea if he contacted the Chair of that Committe & Quizzed him ( or her )

whatabouthisthen

A good point, Fred, re councillors involved in the charity sector possibly having a second bite as councillors. I urge you to go and see him as I do think he is earnest in his endeavours.
Another reason to see him face to face is for you (all) to check him out to see if you agree with my assessment of him.
I do think the idea of keeping our experiences of the inquiry to be recorded here is a good idea. The only thing wrong with this is it is an open forum and thus read by the SCABS et al. Any chance Admin that a post can only be access able by members? That is if you think it is desirable. It will help us all, especially the 'not so sure' to become involved.
I emphasise yet again, without your input he can't do his job.
I was told today, that we can't change anything and it is all cut and dried as per the mob. I hope that we can prove him wrong. Go to it!

rabbit

Mind you, if say a HTH poster emails something to the enquiry, and mentions on here what he has emailed, does that mean he/she is now identifiable from their email address? Or is that too cryptic?

whatabouthisthen

I guess that it is possible/probable.
If worried, create a new email on, say, Google using different ID etc and don't be too explicit on detail of submissions. Your opinion of the Chair doesn't count and would be welcome.

fred c

Quote from: rabbit on April 25, 2013, 08: PM
Mind you, if say a HTH poster emails something to the enquiry, and mentions on here what he has emailed, does that mean he/she is now identifiable from their email address? Or is that too cryptic?

I think we can get overwhelemd by Conspiracy Theories at times, i can`t imagine Mr Mitchell being in anyones pocket, so i hope people who use HTH show some commitment & make him aware of the concerns you have about things.

What are "The Mob" going to do to us ??? the reason they act like they do is because "They Can", it`s up to us to try & change that.

admin

Although it's possible to set up a separate board only readable by registered users, there would be nothing to stop anyone registering and still reading whatever was posted so it would be a little pointless. I would suggest using the PM system.

for fawkes sake

If I'm reading this correctly, the last day for the public to make submissions is next Tuesday which is a very limited timeframe, especially for those who are working as the times also appear to be limited to 10am to 4pm in Hartlepool Civic Centre .

Members of the Public: Thurs 25 April - Tues 30 April
Voluntary and Community Sector Organisations: Wed 1 May - Fri 3 May
Elected Members (previous and serving): Wed 15 May - Fri 17 May
"Remember, remember the fifth of November.
Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.
I see no reason why Gunpowder Treason
Should ever be forgot."

whatabouthisthen

Reply to ffs. Yes but he had to start with the public and has a limited time frame imposed on him by the Councillors. He has allocated one day more for the public than he has given  to the voluntary sector and to members. There is to be a wash up in the final week before he goes away to write his report. I don't know to what extent it may be Q&A.

fred c

Times & Availability

There is a Link to the Public Inquiry on the Front Page of The Council web Site, you can clik on it & see if there are any session booked that you could go & attend.

I attended the Inquiry today, & with regards to times & availabilty, Mr Mitchell expressed the opinion that he is very keen to meet members of the public.

The Inquiry is in session from 10am to 1 pm & from 2pm to 4pm All it takes to book a time is a Phone call.

He is prepared to accept, emails & letters & the face to face sessions can be in the Public Committee Room or on a1 to 1 private basis.

Going to see him isn`t an easy thing for any of us to do, but he makes you feel comfortable & at relative ease in the surroundings, he does guide you through various points but in the main...... he listens & takes note on a PC about what you have to say.

If you have points to raise about the way things are run in Hartlepool, now is the time to stand up & do something about it, the more people that attend these public session the better.

not4me

Unless people put in their two-penneth the guy will only have what councillors are saying to go by so even if its just an e-mail, people need to express their concerns. Councillors will be queueing up to say that everything is hunky-dory - can't let them get away with it.

rabbit

I reckon that those in the know (i.e. have the evidence required) are "keeping their powder dry" for the present.

No point in them giving the "opposition" any advantage.

I don`t blame them for that!